Here goes nothing...

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

For the record, SK, I think they actually made a game about Skittles called Darkened Skye or somesuch. It was crap, naturally

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

This used to be a repeat of the post above, but now it's just a comment about Jenkins' story thing sucking.

Jenkins, your story thing sucks.

Plorpus III

Post by Plorpus III »

jenkins wrote:Gaia
This explains alot.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Senbei wrote:jenkins, you are the coolest poster ever. Exactly how many punches can you take? You're like what Homer Simpson is to boxing. :)
He's got a long way to go before he can even come close to matching the endurance of some of our other retards.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Though they keep bouncing back, I don't recall any other ones that would take that much abuse without getting whiny and bitchy about it.

I know I'm pleasantly surprised.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Adam Adamant wrote:
One Classy Bloke wrote:In other news, why the hell is the Steampunk setting so underused?
I think LXG killed it to pieces.

But...has anyone seen, Steamboy? I heard it was good.
What? Thats like saying Halo or Star Wars killed the Sci fi setting.

As for Steamboy, no matter how shit it may be, the fusion of Steam technology, Victorian britain and Studio 4C is auto-view for me.

Nova

Post by Nova »

Here is my game idea:

Fox girl must kill evil wizard who turned his “best friendâ€￾ into a TV salesman, so the spell is broken. To do so he must beat the crap out of a lot of people to find out where the Wizard is hiding. If you kill the bosses you lose, you have to leave them with a small about of energy(Then use a paralysis attack) so you can do the interrogation, that consists in various forms of funny tortures. The game is a basic 2D plataformer where you kill enemies to get money and buy stuff in shops. Every level has time limit, minus the boss fights, if the time is over your friend sells you to a old man who wanted to have a foxy maid.

Yeah I know, is just a Wonderboy in monster world clone, I suck.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Nova wrote:Here is my game idea:

Fox girl must kill evil wizard who turned his “best friendâ€￾ into a TV salesman, so the spell is broken. To do so he must beat the crap out of a lot of people to find out where the Wizard is hiding. If you kill the bosses you lose, you have to leave them with a small about of energy(Then use a paralysis attack) so you can do the interrogation, that consists in various forms of funny tortures. The game is a basic 2D plataformer where you kill enemies to get money and buy stuff in shops. Every level has time limit, minus the boss fights, if the time is over your friend sells you to a old man who wanted to have a foxy maid.

Yeah I know, is just a Wonderboy in monster world clone, I suck.
It sounds new wave and original. Hide, it, quickly, or Rare will quickly chew it up, swallow it, and regurgitate it as something much worse than it was originally.
jenkins wrote:-They experimented on their students because their students were strong, so they would become strong monsters.
DIS IS GOOD LOGIC.
jenkins wrote:-The gem is not easily duplicated, this guy's just even better than Jipoto was. No wonder he and his six best and only friends survived.
Just because Cliff Burton was a good musician doesn't mean that everyone else in Metallica was a good musician.
jenkins wrote:-Not everyone could use magic back in the day, magic occured in nature. Wizards and witches were the first people to control it, and being good people, they didn't abuse their power at first.
Of course. Because absolutely nobody looks at a mysterious power from the beginning and says, "Hmm, this is new and interesting! Let me turn a profit from it in the quickest and most efficient way possible!"

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Nova wrote:Here is my game idea:

This reminds me of the reader game ideas section that used to run in Game Players. Magazines like EGM run sections like these even today, but the concepts they feature merely amount to taking an existing game and giving it a WACKY TWIST. Game Players' section, on the other hand, consisted of the video game press's audience at the time--pre-adolescent to adolescent boys--raving about the most batshit insane nonsense their warped, sugar-frenzied minds could conjur. Here's an example:
I have a real cool idea for a game--even the name is cool--<i>Rocket Dogs</i>. It would be about this cannabalistic, masochistic clown. He would run around the city killing pedestrians (old ladies, little kids). Then you would collect their meat for your big barbecue at the end of the game. But that's not all. Occasionally you will see a mime. When you do, you kill it and take his blood for your fat vampire friend. If you collect enough blood for the fat vampire, you get sent to a special level, where you do good deeds and get spanked by the fat vampire. In the end, you and your fat vampire friend sit back and enjoy a well-deserved meal.

<i>John Cottingham
Santa Paula, CA</i>
Do you understand? These kids had <i>vision</i>.

Adam Adamant

Post by Adam Adamant »

One Classy Bloke wrote:
Adam Adamant wrote:
One Classy Bloke wrote:In other news, why the hell is the Steampunk setting so underused?
I think LXG killed it to pieces.

But...has anyone seen, Steamboy? I heard it was good.
What? Thats like saying Halo or Star Wars killed the Sci fi setting.

As for Steamboy, no matter how shit it may be, the fusion of Steam technology, Victorian britain and Studio 4C is auto-view for me.
Halo and Star Wars were celebrated classics, LXG was a pile of shit. LXG was also unfortunate enough to introduce the steampunk setting to the world and so got it off to a slightly terrible start. (I don't mean LXG exclusively introduced steampunk to the world, just to the mainstream cinema world, i.e. most people.) And for the record I think Steamboy looks really cool.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Regarding Steamboy, Kishi wrote:I heard it had some rad action sequences that were interrupted with some unwelcome long-winded harangues about what it means to be THE JUSTICE.
Pretty much, yeah.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Plorpus III wrote:
jenkins wrote:Gaia
This explains alot.
Like what? I only joined Gaia last week, mainly for posting stuff like this. You guys have the "honor" (stifles laughter) of being my editors. Hee hee.

Continual thanks to Senbei for his comments on my Simpson-esque ability to take punishement. In the immortal Drederick Tatum's words:

"Hey hey guys, shaddup."

Later!
Last edited by jenkins on Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

jenkins wrote:Hee hee.
I got lynched by my co-workers for buying Shadow. I don't think we should let this slide.

WRT Steampunk:
That is true. I guess it's also fair considering that scifi was already established way before Star Wars, while Steampunk is struggling to get out of minor references.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I thought most people die after a lynching.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

Light Speed wrote:I thought most people die after a lynching.
No, they're supposed to live, you've just been doing it wrong.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Oops.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

jenkins wrote:Continual thanks to Senbei for his comments on my Simpson-esque ability to take punishement. In the immortal Drederick Tatum's words:

"Hey hey guys, shaddup."
It was a compliment! Owen Axel's last post summed up my feelings.
Also, Drederick Tatum scares me.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Kishi wrote: Do you understand? These kids had <i>vision</i>.
Albeit demented, much.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Kishi wrote:This reminds me of the reader game ideas section that used to run in Game Players. Magazines like EGM run sections like these even today, but the concepts they feature merely amount to taking an existing game and giving it a WACKY TWIST. Game Players' section, on the other hand, consisted of the video game press's audience at the time--pre-adolescent to adolescent boys--raving about the most batshit insane nonsense their warped, sugar-frenzied minds could conjur. Here's an example:
I have a real cool idea for a game--even the name is cool--<i>Rocket Dogs</i>. It would be about this cannabalistic, masochistic clown. He would run around the city killing pedestrians (old ladies, little kids). Then you would collect their meat for your big barbecue at the end of the game. But that's not all. Occasionally you will see a mime. When you do, you kill it and take his blood for your fat vampire friend. If you collect enough blood for the fat vampire, you get sent to a special level, where you do good deeds and get spanked by the fat vampire. In the end, you and your fat vampire friend sit back and enjoy a well-deserved meal.

<i>John Cottingham
Santa Paula, CA</i>
Do you understand? These kids had <i>vision</i>.
Most incredible vision. He suggests the name "Rocket Dogs" when there aren't even any dogs - nay, not even rockets - mentioned in the synopsis!

Seriously, you don't seriously think this idea is serious, do you? This can't be anything other than a joke. Although killing old ladies, little kids, and especially mimes sounds like more than a good basis for a quality game.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

What do people have against mimes.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Double-S- wrote:Seriously, you don't seriously think this idea is serious, do you? This can't be anything other than a joke.
Reader game ideas traditionally aren't serious. But to be fair, not much about Game Players wasn't a joke. The editors took every opportunity they got to rant about skull-bats, three-eyed monkey gods, bear sex, "the Cleansing," their drinking habits, and how the other editors were trying to eat their brains. The pages were rife with pre-Photoshop manipulated images of their heads on the bodies of the centaur from Mortal Kombat 3 and the bondage maiden from Princess Maker 2, and their responses to letters ridiculed their readers more than they ever answered their questions. You couldn't get away with making a magazine like that today--and with good reason--but it was just what I needed from '95 to '98.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Senbei wrote:
jenkins wrote:Continual thanks to Senbei for his comments on my Simpson-esque ability to take punishement. In the immortal Drederick Tatum's words:

"Hey hey guys, shaddup."
It was a compliment! Owen Axel's last post summed up my feelings.
Also, Drederick Tatum scares me.
No, I took it as a compliment. Tatums quote is aimed at the people who still remember what this whole thread is about and still hate it.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

jenkins wrote: Cara: It takes no guts to post something like this. I'm not sure whether your comment was a compliment or an insult, but I'll leave it like that. "Holey" crap!
Take that more as a compliment than an insult.
And IMHO, as good as Megaman 7, MMX, MMX2 and MMX3 are in terms of music (and almost everything else), only a few tracks of these games would suit your project (unless the situations are apropriate). Try looking for genuine RPG music.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

Brazillian Cara wrote:
jenkins wrote: Cara: It takes no guts to post something like this. I'm not sure whether your comment was a compliment or an insult, but I'll leave it like that. "Holey" crap!
Take that more as a compliment than an insult.
And IMHO, as good as Megaman 7, MMX, MMX2 and MMX3 are in terms of music (and almost everything else), only a few tracks of these games would suit your project (unless the situations are apropriate). Try looking for genuine RPG music.
Oh--in that case, never mind. Sorry for seeming ungrateful.

As for the Megaman music, I never really planned on using any for my project (except maybe for Dr. Wily's Castle in 7), it was just as an extra. Plus, the "Music in Video Games" thread has given me a good site (for 7 at least). As for actual RPG music, I have plenty. It's pretty easy to find.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

So how exactly are you planning on implementing an MMORPG, regardless of the trite story and the fact that you're planning to use Megaman/Megaman recolor sprites?