Here goes nothing...

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Nova

Post by Nova »

And you need to post a picture just to say that?

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Re: Here goes nothing...

Post by Senbei »

Zeta wrote:If they didn't have any magic anymore, how did people know they were wizards anyways? Did they go around wearing pointed hats with the word "Wizzard" stitched upon it?
Zeta wrote:Also, how did he just happen about it? Don't tell me the supposedly wise Wizard flushed it down the toilet or tossed it out the window?! He didn't even put a "don't touch" sign on it!?
If you're going to reference Discworld, you might as well take into account that wizards will always do the opposite of what a sign says, just to see what happens.
And yes, I am enough of a goddamn fanboy that I had to point that out.

But jenkins, seriously, this is the best possible follow-up to your "useful information" topic. I am so proud of you.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Hah, I just recently started getting into Discworld. Which books would you recommend? I've already read The Amazing Maurice and Jingo, and I'm halfway through The Fifth Elephant.

Senbei

Post by Senbei »

If you liked The Amazing Maurice, you'll probably like The Wee Free Men. I, and other readers I know, consider it to be the most enjoyable book overall.

Otherwise ... they're all very good, so I can't really recommend any above the others. Instead, I think I should point out that, even though Pratchett says that the books can be read in any order, it's probably best to read them from the earilest (The Colour of Magic) to the latest (Thud!), as he often makes references to, not only past events, but jokes and theories he's made before. Still, this isn't a very important point.

Timestones

Post by Timestones »

Ritz wrote:This story needs butler monkeys, space vaginas and Silverguns.
Image ?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Hah, I just recently started getting into Discworld. Which books would you recommend? I've already read The Amazing Maurice and Jingo, and I'm halfway through The Fifth Elephant.
The first two, Color of Magic and Light Fantastic are wonderful. The CoM is a very humorous and episodical tale that leads into the Light Fantastic - which is more of a solid adventure story. Both of them introduce many concepts that appear later in the books, as well as great characters like Rincewind, the Luggage, Twoflower (still my favorite character of all the books), and the Librarian.

You can skip Equal Rites if you want. It introduces Granny Weatherwax, but she's not at her best without the other witches to play off of. Also, the other one-shot main character Esk is completely boring. Not to mention that the events of the book were essentially erased from continuity.

Mort is my favorite DEATH book so far. I prefer it over Reaper Man. You should take a peak.

Wyrd Sisters is where Granny Weatherwax really shines. If you either really like or really hate Shakespear, it's definately look checking out. Very funny.

Pyramids is my favorite book out of the series. It's a great religious satire, and it's also a great adventure story too. Even though it's a one-shot.

Gaurds! Guards! worked well as a cop drama parody, but I'm not really fond of the Night Watch books.

I'd Skip Eric and Moving Pictures. Eric was a very boring story with little character development or plot and only really served as a way to bring Rincewind back from hell. Moving Pictures is just too slow-paced and the jokes are too heavy handed. Although the revelation about Uncle Osbert or whatever at the end, when it finally hit me, was very clever.

Small Gods is great if you're an atheist and can appreciate an anti-religion satire.

So far, I'm enjoying Lords and Ladies and Witches Abroad was worth the price of admission for the postcard scenes alone.

Plorpus III

Post by Plorpus III »

This has to be the most generic fantasy story I have ever heard, not to mention horribly written. Someone creates something, repeat, repeat, dimensions, stones, people, MAGICAL CHOSEN ONE, etc.
This isn't a game idea. It's hardly a story. Are there any gameplay mechanics? No. Any sort of reference to what type of game it is? No, though it's obviously supposed to be an RPG. If you were to apply for a design job at a game company with this thing, you'd be laughed out.
Make some fucking design documents. THAT's a game idea.

Gwilym

Post by Gwilym »

Criminals are a superstituous and cowardly lot!
ISHALLBECOMEABAT

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

TL;DR!!!!!!

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Fuck game design. Why not design a full body vibration system created to send the human mind into a psychotic trip just by intense body manipulation?

In other news, why the hell is the Steampunk setting so underused?

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Timestones wrote:
Ritz wrote:This story needs butler monkeys, space vaginas and Silverguns.
Image ?
Damn straight.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I'm working on it.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Re: Here goes nothing...

Post by Squirrelknight »

jenkins wrote:Filled with the grandeur of magic, the small rough stone transformed into a beautiful gemstone which poured forth all colors of the rainbow.
Is this the part of the story where the Skittles come raining down from the sky?

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Man, back in the day when I was 12 and designing games in my head, I had documentation of gameplay and stuffs. Specifically, I had a design to make an action RPG in the vein of Secret of Mana, only faster paced, but still more tactical than the button mashing of most action RPGs. I think there was some kind of stamina meter involved.

...I want a good action RPG.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Holey crap. He had the guts to post this. In this forum.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

shit

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

Well, I found it to be cleverly written and very original. Good stuff!

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

j-man wrote:
I'm working on it.
FUCKING SWEET! Just remember that cogs are an important part of Steampunk technology.

Adam Adamant

Post by Adam Adamant »

One Classy Bloke wrote:In other news, why the hell is the Steampunk setting so underused?
I think LXG killed it to pieces.

But...has anyone seen, Steamboy? I heard it was good.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

I heard it had some rad action sequences that were interrupted with some unwelcome long-winded harangues about what it means to be THE JUSTICE.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

I'm back, what did I miss? Never mind.

You guys have said so much, I can't possibly reply to all of it right here. At least, not unless I do a half-assed job, so here goes.

Plot Issues (directed mainly at Baba O'Reily):
-Not everyone could use magic back in the day, magic occured in nature. Wizards and witches were the first people to control it, and being good people, they didn't abuse their power at first.
-Kill and steal is just the beginning. I'm much too lazy to put anything else.
-Good points about the tacky gay pride stone. Maybe it should just shift from one color to another. But it should still shine.
-Just because you can access unlimited power doesn't make you good enough to "weild" it (sorry). And Jipoto wasn't lazy, he just, um, died after making the stone. I guess. I need to work on that too.
-Of course the mobs were scared. You would be too if wizards were ruining your life.
-You were right about the Fear being vague. Plus, it sounds like the French Revolution. I'll see about fixing that.
-The gem is not easily duplicated, this guy's just even better than Jipoto was. No wonder he and his six best and only friends survived.
-I suppose I should find a good reason for them to have fallen apart. I was going for "power corrupts," but that should really just be a last resort.
-They experimented on their students because their students were strong, so they would become strong monsters.
-The story is no more confusing than your typical Mad Magazine. It's astoundingly basic, as many of you pointed out, next to something like Final Fantasy.

Esrever's post was the funniest thing I've seen in my entire life. I didn't even consider my story to be that trite, but I've been humorously shown up.

To clear up this issue, there is no "unlikely hero." The idea was a customizeable character--this would be an online game.

Zeta's plot dissection was funny, but not as analytical as Baba's. By the way, magic never died. It's been given a "safety lock:" the Gem. It just restricts the power readily available to people. And I already said it was thoroughly unrelated to Sonic.

Segaholic, you're an administrator. Why are you wasting your time agreeing with everyone else on a thread you hate anyway?

Senbei, you have my thanks for the "useful information" comment. After posting this, I realized it was pretty idiotic to be posted on the heels of a "forgiveness" post. You are a genius, Senbei.

Plorpus, fuck off.

Squirrelknight's Skittles comment was awesome.

Double-S-, I don't know of many button-mashing RPGs. Don't most have turn based FF-esque battle mechanisms? Oh, and Zelda is not an RPG; you can't level up. Except in Zelda 2, which was an RPG.

Cara: It takes no guts to post something like this. I'm not sure whether your comment was a compliment or an insult, but I'll leave it like that. "Holey" crap!

PROTODUDE! MY HERO! I hope you're not kidding. Plus, even I admit this needs some rewrites.

Summary: I'm glad I posted this here before I did on Gaia. They would have accepted it without thinking. I think that, with some development, it would make an awesome MMORPG. Your comments have been either helpful, funny, encouraging, or ignorable.

Cheers!

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Double-S- wrote:Man, back in the day when I was 12 and designing games in my head, I had documentation of gameplay and stuffs. Specifically, I had a design to make an action RPG in the vein of Secret of Mana, only faster paced, but still more tactical than the button mashing of most action RPGs. I think there was some kind of stamina meter involved.

...I want a good action RPG.
And I'd like an FPS where when I shoot someone with a shotgun across a room, they die, no questions asked.

Until that day there is PSO.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

jenkins wrote:-I suppose I should find a good reason for them to have fallen apart. I was going for "power corrupts," but that should really just be a last resort.
Yes, you're above such hackneyed devices.
Plorpus, fuck off.
JENKINS IS EVOLVING!!
PROTODUDE! MY HERO! I hope you're not kidding.
Shit, nevermind.

Senbei

Post by Senbei »

jenkins, you are the coolest poster ever. Exactly how many punches can you take? You're like what Homer Simpson is to boxing. :)

I really wanted to like Steamboy, because the visuals are pretty awesome. But the story and characters are just so poor and boring that even Patrick Stewart couldn't save them. (ha!)

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

jenkins wrote:Double-S-, I don't know of many button-mashing RPGs. Don't most have turn based FF-esque battle mechanisms? Oh, and Zelda is not an RPG; you can't level up. Except in Zelda 2, which was an RPG.
A) My post had nothing to do with yours, I don't know why you even replied. I was just talking about myself. Oh actually, it did have a relation to yours. To show that making games/stories is lame.

B) Who said anything about Zelda?