The spark to the fuse.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Professor Machenstein

The spark to the fuse.

Post by Professor Machenstein »

As well all know, the quality of [3D] Sonic games have been deteriorating for every title released since Sonic Adventure 2. At first, we believed it was because of the Naka-san's incompetance and his unhealthy obsession with ferraris. We've later realised it was not really Naka, but the influnece of Takashi Iizuka and his platoon of kamikaze demolishers, dubbed SEGA Studios USA... Or so we thought. Gentlemen, I believe we have found another link. Read the final paragraph of this article about the recent promotional Shadow the Hedgehog wresting event.
Yuji Naka later commented on the design of the game.
"We had received letters from kids, and many of them had asked for Sonic to have a gun," he said. "We felt that it was not appropriate for Sonic to have a gun, but maybe it would be ok with Shadow and that's how we started on the game."
Cue suspense music. This is batshit insane. So SONICTEAM actually got letters, written in red crayon, saying, "hello sega pleez giv sonic a gun and make him cuss too i am your #1 fan love timmy"? I am unable to describe just how appalled I really am that these kids who play video games, who took their time to actually write to SONICTEAM, would request such... Such things. Was it also them who requested the infamous "team-action" in Sonic Heroes? If so, what will they request next? A Cream the Rabbit rhythm game, a Sonic Shuffle 2, or worse, a Sonic.EXE Card Battle Network: Shadow Edition? Okay, I'm overreacting, but I think I finally found the spark to SONICTEAM's fuse. I am lead to another question now; where did these kids get SONICTEAM'S mailing address, if what Yuji Naka says is valid? We were once childern too, and as Sonic fans, we could write actual letters to SONICTEAM and tell them to deliver us a satisfying [3D] Sonic experience, with expansive level designs, less bottomless pits, and a real emphasis of Sonic's speed, as opposed to automated loops and scripted action sequences (For instance, the bungie-cord in SA2, Green Forest). If we're lucky, we might even get Fang back.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

That was the story behind E-102 Gamma too. The difference being that E-102 Gamma worked within the context and tone of the Sonic the Hedgehog series, whereas Shadow-with-a-gun does not.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

I wonder what in what general language these letters were written. You'd assumed English, but it could be that Sonic Team's address is available only to the Japanese public, if at all.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

This is BS! I think it was Iizuka writing all those letters with crayons!

also that new studio Fucked everything up, for example Now we get 90% more american influence, like those 4KIDS suckers.

GTA damaged the game industry, well not really..its the fault of people who dont have brains and cant sit down and THINK! they just copy garbage that stupid people think is cool, they ignored their roots and taint them.

I have millions of Ideas! thats why I gonna start studiying Game design, to go and smack Iizuka's ass out of the picture and Fire Naka!

I can dream can I? but seriously..Im gonna make games.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

PM, your sarcasm has become delightfully scathing since the release of Shadow. It's a refreshing change from your usual optimism.

But while this has further justified all lack of respect for Sonic Team and our general disgust with Sonic fans, it only explains where they got the horrible idea. It doesn't excuse the bad level design, boring background art, broken gameplay, or THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Was it also them who requested the infamous "team-action" in Sonic Heroes?
Yeah. I'm to blame for that. Back in 1994, I wanted a game where you could control Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles at the same time. When I was 12, I thought it was the awesomest idea ever.

WHAT HAVE I DONE?!

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I'm pretty sure you can email them ideas through the Sonic Team website. I remember reading that somewhere, and it said all ideas will not be compensated for if used or something like that.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Snail mail is better; you can write your letters in blood that way.

Blood from your cock, of course.

The T

Post by The T »

Ritz wrote:Snail mail is better; you can write your letters in blood that way.

Blood from your cock, of course.
Nothing quite like chicken blood.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

The people who wrote those emails should buy a gun and shoot themselves to satisfy their gun fetish!

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Shut the fuck up.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

SegaSonic wrote: I have millions of Ideas! thats why I gonna start studiying Game design, to go and smack Iizuka's ass out of the picture and Fire Naka!
You might want to spend some time studying English before you get into game design.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Lols, Caveman Engrish.

CE

Post by CE »

Sonic Heroes was ruined by bad level design, not bad game mechanics. And I have yet to play Shadow, but it looks like it has the same craptacular level design. Both of those games *would* have been fun, if the level designers were any good.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Eh, the team switching player thing worked better than I ever hoped it could, but it still did not belong to begin with.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Squirrelknight wrote:
SegaSonic wrote: I have millions of Ideas! thats why I gonna start studiying Game design, to go and smack Iizuka's ass out of the picture and Fire Naka!
You might want to spend some time studying English before you get into game design.
Is grammar all you people worry about? You make such a fuzz about it, get a life! I just write fast thats all, I dont have the time to lick the keyboard unlike you freaks.

Its easy! they should go to a formula similar to SA1, and make it better from then on. They just invent new things but ruin it before it almost achives perfection. In Shadow, they had a good consept but ruined it in some parts and in top of that they gave it the last blow that was changing the VA's with utter crap. Same thing with Heroes, BUT NOOO! they had to jank the chain and trow a good consept down the toilet.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Out of morbid curiousity, what exactly was the "good consept"? And by that I do mean concept.

Timestones

Post by Timestones »

I type fast too, but I'd like to hope my posts are more coherent than SegaSonic's.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Owen Axel wrote:Out of morbid curiousity, what exactly was the "good consept"? And by that I do mean concept.
A game where Shadow's past was revealed, and a game where the surroundings are usefull were good consepts, there are more but I dont want to type anymore for now.
I type fast too, but I'd like to hope my posts are more coherent than SegaSonic's.
well, good for you.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

Also, there's this amazing technological breakthrough called the backspace key, that actually allows you to erase mistakes as you make them! When used in conjunction with the 'edit' button, you can efficiently correct your posts at your leisure.

Also, I propose that 'chain janking' become the GHZ's official sport, right next to Buzkashi.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

My board doesnt have a Backspace key.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

The delete key works too.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

I ate that.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

Well, you could always try this.

EDIT: I assume that Sega's seen it by now, so it's safe to say that the link isn't worksafe.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

why does everyone want sonic games to emphasize on speed? personally I think they should make sonic do alot more platforming like in the genesis tittles.