The next console sonic game should be 2d, I kid you not.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

I can see how simple jumping would make a game that much harder compared to homing attack. Futhermore, I never felt homing attack reduced the sense of speed, in fact it amplified it. You'd be running through a level and have to jump for the attack, and yes it would slow you down, but it was like a breath before plunging back into the water, as the subsequent dash had you running almost if not as fast as before.

The only problem I've had with jumping in 2D games appeared in the Advances, in which certain jumps, like off of a spring, didn't allow Sonic to spin, and so you'd be hurt by the enemy you jumped on, rather than vice versa.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

CM August wrote:In SA2's case, Sonic doesn't perform a kaiten jump so much as a triple somersault in midair, then falling spread-eagle to the ground.
Yeah, y'know, whose freaking idiot idea was THAT?

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

"Kaiten" means spin right? So if he spins three times how does that not qualify as a "kaiten" jump?

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

adventure 1 remains as the best 3d sonic game, meaning they can do it...or could..since people left the team.

the problem is izuka or whatever his name is, oh, and his sonicteam of america crap. they have been ruining sonic stuff.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

chriscaffee wrote:"Kaiten" means spin right? So if he spins three times how does that not qualify as a "kaiten" jump?
Shhh! Don't irritate the cranky old people! They'll pick appart anything anyone says or does!

Kind of like that scene in Jurassic Park when they lower the cow into the Raptor Pen.

CM August

Post by CM August »

I know what the kaiten stands for; I'm just differentiating between the SA2 jump and... well, every other Sonic game's jump.

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

Sonic Adventure had this motion blur effect when you jumped, but still didn't look much like the genesis jumping style.

I hate the homing attack. Takes away all the fun bouncing off of enemies at maximum velocity in the old games.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Yeah, but try doing that in 3D, it'd be such a pain in the ass.

CM August

Post by CM August »

I still think that's because they need to tweak the controls and the jumping itself, but I hardly even care at this point.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I don't see how any amount of tweaking is going to make jumping on enemies any easier in 3D. I still think the homing attack was one of the things that Sonic Team got right with the whole 3D Sonic thing. If anyone can come up with a better alternative, I'd love to hear it.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:
chriscaffee wrote:"Kaiten" means spin right? So if he spins three times how does that not qualify as a "kaiten" jump?
Shhh! Don't irritate the cranky old people! They'll pick appart anything anyone says or does!
...I don't know Caffee's age, but from his picture I'm pretty sure he's not old enough to be called "old".

Nova

Post by Nova »

Sonic adventure wasn’t so bad, people whined about it sure, but most of the whining was for the non Sonic levels like fishing. If they took that game as a base for future 3D Sonic games, but focused more on Sonic giving him the 80% of the game, I’m sure they could do something decent. Sonic Rush isn’t so bad, but not because is in 2D, is because you play 50% as Sonic. In the Genesis era, playing with other characters was a extra, playing with Tails in Sonic 2 was kinda a secret. And playing with Knuckles was supposed to be a bonus when you ended the game but they slip it in two and hand to add the everyone goes Super or hyper to compensate.

LISTEN SONIC TEAM, SONIC GAMES ARE ABOUT SONIC! NOT ABOUT THE OTHER CHARACTERS, GIVE US AT LEAST 80% OF SONIC LEVELS DAMN IT!.

So, there is you answer…

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Sonic adventure wasn’t so bad, people whined about it sure, but most of the whining was for the non Sonic levels like fishing. If they took that game as a base for future 3D Sonic games, but focused more on Sonic giving him the 80% of the game, I’m sure they could do something decent. Sonic Rush isn’t so bad, but not because is in 2D, is because you play 50% as Sonic. In the Genesis era, playing with other characters was a extra, playing with Tails in Sonic 2 was kinda a secret. And playing with Knuckles was supposed to be a bonus when you ended the game but they slip it in two and hand to add the everyone goes Super or hyper to compensate.

LISTEN SONIC TEAM, SONIC GAMES ARE ABOUT SONIC! NOT ABOUT THE OTHER CHARACTERS, GIVE US AT LEAST 80% OF SONIC LEVELS DAMN IT!.

So, there is you answer…
You pretty much play all of Rush as Sonic, as the only difference between the two characters is that one is slower and has flame animations instead of the regular spinning animation.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

That's pretty much the same for Tails and Knuckles in the old games too. Except you could fly and climb/glide.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

You have to admit that thsoe were very different things than performing the exact same moves but with different animations. It's more like playing as Tails in Sonic 2 - virtually no difference aside from animations.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

To be fair there are SOME differences, Blaze has hover boots and her up and R trick gives far more of a height boost than Sonic's. I will admit she's too similar though, I was fairly disappointed that she didn't have some unique stages or paths, especially since I'd always figured the whole point of cutting the number down to 2 characters was so that there'd be more differences between the experiences.

I suppose at the very least she has a different story with a fair amount of text and cutscenes, but then again this is a 2d Sonic title, so that hardly matters.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I would've prefered her to simply have a non-gun projectile attack, simple because they've never done that in a 2-D sonic game before. Plus the pyrokinesis does - you know, lend itself to tossing fireballs around.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Wasn't Cheese a non-gun projectile attack?

Psxphile

Post by Psxphile »

Zeta wrote:I would've prefered her to simply have a non-gun projectile attack, simple because they've never done that in a 2-D sonic game before. Plus the pyrokinesis does - you know, lend itself to tossing fireballs around.
Yeah, shame they didn't include something like that for Blaze at some point in the game..

Oh wait...

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

It's hard to believe that this series once had only two main characters in it.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Wasn't Cheese a non-gun projectile attack?
One could view it that way, but since you don't need to aim and he's unstoppable, it's more of a "hand of God you're now dead nothing you can do about it" attack. :-p

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It really is too bad that Blaze is so redundant, because on the whole the game is really quite solid! Colour me pleasantly surprised.

(I bought a DS.)

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

QUIT SPOILING THE GAME! :(

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

I agree with Omni Hunter: I'd rather play it for myself anyday.

When was this thread started? It's been glaringly obvious that there aren't enough 2-D Sonic games since they make Sonic 3-D Blast!

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Esrever wrote:It really is too bad that Blaze is so redundant, because on the whole the game is really quite solid! Colour me pleasantly surprised.

(I bought a DS.)
Redundant, character-wise, gameplay wise, both or other?

(I lack the game and a DS.)