Sonic 3 manual

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Sonic 3 manual

Post by Green Gibbon! »

There's a chunk of story on page 34-35 (Knuckles' profile) that I don't think has ever been properly translated. I was looking over it, but it's difficult for me to piece it together with my meager skills. I think it's explaining Knuckles' side of the story as the Death Egg crashed onto Angel Island. It says something about the Master Emerald glittering or glowing and oscillating or something, and Knuckles loses consciousness? Whatever the case, it alerts him to the plumetting Death Egg in the sky, which Knuckles mistakes for the egg of a legendary dragon or something like that. After the crash he surveys the damage and encounters Eggman, who makes some claim to the effect of him being a scientist studying the egg, then tricks him into believing that Sonic and Tails are after the Chaos Emeralds.

Stearns (or preferably someone sexier), I wonder if you would help to clarify my blind stumbling translation? It's on page 34-35 of the manual, or if you can't be bothered to dig that out, the entirety of the text is posted here:

http://www.tastescity.com/sonicdimensio ... hog_3.html

I notice that the Master Emerald is never referred to as such here, and is just called the "Pillar". I assume that's the same "Emerald Pillar" confusingly referred to in the Chaotix manual, meaning they're just talking about the Master Emerald.

Also, it says Knuckles' nickname is just plain "Knuckle".

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

You seriously don't have it? Maybe this is the improper translation you're refering to, but it looks good to me.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Guardian of the "Floating Island."
(Translated by Michael "G. Silver" Stearns)

That day, as he always seemed to, he was making his patrol around the alter on the island. Protecting the 7 Chaos Emeralds*** who sleep and control the power of the "Pillar" is the mission he has been charged with.

His name, Knuckles the Echidna. But to inhabitants of the island, he is an echidna called "Knuckle." Born and raised on the island, all of nature and the animals who live in it are his friends. And that which protects his friends is none other than the Chaos Emerald's crystaline "Pillar."

Suddenly something awoke.

Just as he was verifying that not one Chaos Emerald was out of place, the Chaos Emerald right before his eyes rose and a strange vibration started.

Knuckles was confused by this phenomenon, which had never occured before. In the blink of an eye, violent shaking occured within the Chaos Emeralds. Then, as the shaking reached its climax, a "kiiiin" sound was heard along with a brilliant flash. The next thing Knuckles remembered was his own body, seeming to be lightly floating, and at that moment he was interrupted.

When Knuckles regained consciousness, he found his body thrown outside of the altar. He slowly got up, and what entered his eyes as he looked around was the Chaos Emerald altar--partially destroyed. In a flurry, Knuckles flew into the altar. However, in place of the emerald that should have been there, were fragments left of what had dissappeared...

In a daze, Knuckles left the altar. He gazed off into the distance, powerless... it seemed like a peculiar thing had appeared around the lake. The sight of the giant, round, egg-like body that Knuckles beheld sent a shiver down his spine.

"That big egg is the dragon in the legend's...."

That egg appeared in the legend depicted in the Chaos Emerald altar--there was no doubt that it was the egg which would bring disaster to the island.

Some days later, Knuckles was partolling the altar of the island's seven Chaos Emeralds, but all traces of the Emeralds had vanished. While in his relentless investigation of the island, Knuckles encountered an unfamiliar man in the woods.

The man called himself Dr. Eggman, and already knew Knuckles was the guardian of the Chaos Emeralds. He said to Knuckles:

"I am a scientist who came here to stop (?) that egg. Uumu, since you are the Chaos Emeralds' guardian I knew I had to inform you. The truth is, there is an evil hedgehog namd Sonic that has been interfering in my research, he is the one who has stolen this island's Chaos Emeralds."

"The Chaos Emeralds were stolen....!"

With Dr. Eggman's ingenus lies, Knuckles was very easily tricked. That is how Knuckles' challenge to Sonic was started.

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 Profiles
From the: Sonic the Hedgehog 3 Japanese Game Manual
Translation by: Michael "G. Silver" Stearns

-- Knuckles the Echidna --

- The guardian who protects the Chaos Emeralds on the Floating Island.
- Species is Echidna (Harimogura). Nickname is "Knuckle."
- He is the short-tempered type, but he is a kind and nice guy.
- He's a bit naive and innocent, and easily deceived.
- He doesn't dislike girls, but he is not very good with them?
- Special gloves let him dig holes, and he can break through walls.
- His hobby is, of course, digging. 'cuz he's a mole (Mogura).
- Finding secret routes is his specialty.
- He can also fly in the air for a little bit.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

That would do it, thanks.

Can you do anything about Stearns' lack of sex appeal?

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

I can transpose the Boobies topic onto him.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I tried that. I even wrapped him in red and blue cellophane and tried to distance hump him with a broom while wearing 3D glasses. Drunk. Absolutely nothing works.

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

Then clearly this situation is beyond mortal help and we must resort to pagan rituals and virgin sacrifices.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

wow, and those who said the classic Sonic games didnt have storyline are RETARDS!

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Maybe if I changed my avatar?

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

G.Silver wrote:Maybe if I changed my avatar?
don't even think about it

that avatar is sex

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Quite so, going back to the story though does the prescence of Chaos Emeralds on the island before Sonic's arrival mean that they are a different set?
The same goes for the emeralds in other games too as the japanese translations of the names are different sometimes.

Nova

Post by Nova »

Interesting, this explain why Knuckles is easily tricked by Rouge, the poor dude is virgin and desperate to get laid.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Also, it says Knuckles' nickname is just plain "Knuckle".
I always wondered about that. It seems a little...well...silly. Like, full-blown Monty Python silly.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

In a "This parrot... is an EX parrot!" kind of way?

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Omni Hunter wrote:Quite so, going back to the story though does the prescence of Chaos Emeralds on the island before Sonic's arrival mean that they are a different set?
The same goes for the emeralds in other games too as the japanese translations of the names are different sometimes.
I think that's just an inconsistency within the game's own story. Sonic & Knuckles makes it pretty clear that there's only one set.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Perhaps Sonic grabbed them from Special Stages after they disappeared from Angel Island while on his way there.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I was thinking something like that, like every time Sonic gets the Emeralds they come from Angel Island, and Knuckles has been all like "WTF is going on?" ever since Sonic 1.

Nova

Post by Nova »

G.Silver wrote:I was thinking something like that, like every time Sonic gets the Emeralds they come from Angel Island, and Knuckles has been all like "WTF is going on?" ever since Sonic 1.
Hahahaha!

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Pepperidge wrote: I think that's just an inconsistency within the game's own story. Sonic & Knuckles makes it pretty clear that there's only one set.
It’s difficult to disregard the Angel Island set as an inconsistency, as they are central to Eggman’s act of tricking Knuckles. (This was also an aspect of the plot that was explicitly mentioned in the Mega Collection Sonic 3 story menu).

The Hidden Palace shrine also contains emerald fragments surrounding the Master Emerald, which were referenced in the Sonic 3 story.

^_^

Anon

Post by Anon »

...well, I guess that would explain the inconsistency in the Emerald colors throughout most of the games. (This would include some Super Emeralds having difference colors from the Chaos Emeralds that Sonic collected.)

The Doc
Now Playing: Guess Who?

Post by The Doc »

Scenario #1
The ones Sonic has at the beginning of the game are fakes Tails created. The yellow Emerald in Sonic Adventure 2 doesn't have to be the only one Tails created. After Sonic 2, Tails could have studied the real Emeralds, made copies, and they could have hid them so that Eggman couldn't find them again. An unlikely scenario.

Scenario #2
Every Special Stage ever is located in a realm that runs parallel with Angel Island, but this could be said about every other island these guys have been on.

Scenario #3
Adding to the fact that the Chaos Emeralds are used either positively or negatively based on who's using them (Sonic Adventure, Chaos used them negatively), it's possible (for the sake of argument) that there's one sentient being that rules over everything in the Sonicverse. Either this being is evil, or there's a mirror version of this deity that is pure evil, whatever. If this is the case, then it's fully possible that the world can be filled with DECOY Emerald sets. These sets all are attracted to each other, Emeralds in a set work together and only together to cause the Super form. It's possible that these decoy sets were created to further and better hide a one TRUE set of Emeralds that, when used, have more powers and abilities far beyond those of these decoys.

Now, where does the Master Emerald come into play? Well, it's not the "Master" Emerald for nothing. If this scenario is even freakishly close to true, the Master Emerald has the ability to work its magic on all sets of Emeralds, both the real set and all decoy sets. However, you CAN'T argue that there's more than one Master Emerald itself because the same one's been used since Sonic 3, unless I'm missing something.

By the way, while I'm on the subject of the Master Emerald, has anybody noticed how the function of the Master Emerald has changed? In Sonic 3, Eggman wanted the Master Emerald to power the Death Egg, because the story was that the Master Emerald had the power of the Chaos Emeralds and then some. In Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2, however, this wasn't brought up, per se. Instead, all the focus (and the functions of the Master Emerald in general) have changed from "Chaos Emerald equivalent" to "Chaos Emerald controller": It NEGATES the power of the Chaos Emeralds (the decoy sets, at least).

Also, if this scenario is freakishly close to true, you have to wonder how the Master Emerald would react to the real set of Chaos Emeralds...

Anyway, that's just a bunch of tie-in ideas they can use. Sorry if I wasted your time.

Which I probably did.

In which case, I lied. I'm not sorry.

Nova

Post by Nova »

The master emerald has the same power as 7 chaos emeralds put together and maybe even a bit more. Remember the powered up Mecha/metal Sonic? He turned gold and invincible for a while thanks to the master emeralds power. I think in Sonic adventure Eggman wants all the emeralds because the cannon of the Ark needed all that power to wipe out the world. Yeah I know that wasn’t Eggman plan, is was Gerald plan, whatever. The Chaos emeralds power is greater when they are close to the master emerald. If you want a reason of why there wasn’t any Super emeralds, blame it to Eggman cutting the master emerald into pieces and releasing of Chaos.

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

The Master emerald can have power of its own while also having the ability to neutralize the Chaos emeralds. In fact, I think the Master emerald is a sentient consciousness that will do whatever you say as long as you ask nicely. Advance 3 seems to support that.
The Chaos emeralds power is greater when they are close to the master emerald.
I think the opposite is true. At the end of SA1, Knuckles had 6 emeralds near the Master emerald and it wouldn't lift the island. Maybe it automatically neutralized them when they're close.

And I prefer to believe that there's only one set of emeralds, and that the Chaos emeralds transformed into the Super emeralds upon being exposed to the Master (best interpretation of the S3&K scene I can think of), and we've just continued to call them Chaos emeralds because it sounds cooler.

The T

Post by The T »

Or they've just reverted back to their Chaos Emerald state.

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

But you couldn't breath underwater with just the Chaos emeralds. And since Super Sonic and Shadow went into space in SA2, I'd say they were actually Hyper. The shape of the emeralds has also been that of the Super emeralds since S&K.

The T

Post by The T »

Except all the characters breathed in space perfectly fine in all the other space levels.