New Sonic Rush Scan from Nintendo Dream ·

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Frieza2000 wrote:
Esrever wrote:I imagine the 4Kids cast will sound considerably better when they don't have to try to sink up the dialogue to Japanese lip motions.
Are you saying they're too lazy to edit the timing and mouth animations, a feat so simple that even bad flash cartoons do it? Wow. That's a company of winners all right.
No Anime dubbers do that.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

You're telling me that dubbers base their scripts on how many syllables are in the Japanese counterpart instead of just cutting and pasting a few frames to alter the mouth movement and increasing or decreasing the length of a scene? That doesn't make sense. Maybe it was done that way in the 80s and 90s, but I'm pretty sure that every recent anime I've seen has been accurately translated and the mouth movements still sync up.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Nope.

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

How is that possible? There must be instances where the number of syllables in a Japanese sentence are incompatible with any English sentence of the same meaning. Do they just change the meaning of the sentence? I remember watching an episode of Cowboy Bebop in both languages and found the translation to be almost direct. Is that just an amazing coincidence?

I also find it difficult to believe that they'd go through all the trouble of recoloring every frame to remove blood and not change the mouths. It sounds easier.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It probably IS easier, but it's also uneccessary. Content edits are forced by censors. Lip synching isn't.

I'm glad you mentioned Cowboy Bebop, because I can tell you for a fact that the lip synching wasn't edited in that particular show since I have the DVDs. Think about it.... if it was, there would have to be two seperate video tracks on the DVDs. There aren't. That's why you can hot-swap between the different language tracks at any time mid-episode... the audio is the only thing that changes. Dubbing companies have just gotten very good at faking the lip synching through a combination of carefully planned scripting, timing and enunciation. Cowboy Bebop is a particularly well done dub.

Fortunately, anime is incredibly forgiving for lip-synching because the Japanese don't usually animate different mouth shapes. In, say, the Simpsons, Homer's mouth is animated to form the appropriate shapes depending on what he is saying... it gets circular when he says an "ooh" sound, it presses together right before he says a "pee" sound, etc etc. The Japanese don't tend to bother with that. In most animes, the characters mouths just open and close like Pacman. Wokka wokka wokka!

If you look closely, you'll see that it usually isn't "synched" to the Japanese dialogue either... the mouths just open and close over and over in a loop during speech. The only synching is that the lip motion starts when the voice starts, and stops when the voice stops. Most dubbers just try to do the same thing... cram the english dialogue into the window of time in which the mouths are moving.

"The more you know....."

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Someone's head just exploded.

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

Damn...I'm not sure whether to disrespect them for sacrificing any amount of script integrity to save on animation or to respect them for doing such a good job under the restriction.

I recall watching some dual audio files that DID have 2 video tracks. I'd taken a few minutes to check if the mouth movements matched the appropriate languages and just assumed that they were different. This gives me new respect for VAs and script translators.

What about video games? Sonic Heroes, for example. Same thing?

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Sonic Heroes was originally synched to the English dialogue, with the Japanese being dubbed over.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Well, Sonic Heroes is an example. He wants to know how it works for videogames in general.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Brazillian Cara wrote:Well, Sonic Heroes is an example. He wants to know how it works for videogames in general.
I'm aware of this, although also fairly lazy. I think it's pretty obvious most games don't have resynched lips though, hence hilarious synching travesties like the original Onimusha, though I do believe there have been exceptions, although I can't recall any specifically.

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

Yes, I specified Heroes as the example because I didn't remember the mouthing being as openly wrong as the Adventure games.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Esrever wrote:
Fortunately, anime is incredibly forgiving for lip-synching because the Japanese don't usually animate different mouth shapes. In, say, the Simpsons, Homer's mouth is animated to form the appropriate shapes depending on what he is saying... it gets circular when he says an "ooh" sound, it presses together right before he says a "pee" sound, etc etc. The Japanese don't tend to bother with that. In most animes, the characters mouths just open and close like Pacman. Wokka wokka wokka!
Very true, I'm not sure if anyone else watches Abenobashi but part of the extras on the dvd are "out-takes" where the voice actors say something that doesn't fit with the story but fits with the opening/closing of the mouth.
So in an instance where a character say's "My name is Eutus, this is my house, take off your shoes" they can also say "I'm Micheal Jackson, come inside my Neverland ranch for a bit of Jesus juice"
And that is an actual example from the DVD.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

quick somebody turn off segasonic's internets before it's too late
Well Excuse me for being HUMAN!

I Care for the real Voice actors like Ryan Drummond! he Was the First and best Sonic Voice for the games, and his removal didnt have an excuse at all!

..Ill Import from now on, I wont swallow 4KIDS' Shit Unlike you losers !

Enjoy 4KIDS you dirty Kids!

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

I'm pretty sure 4Kids VAs were in the voice acting business before Ryan Drummond.

Also SegaSonic hurts my widdle feelings with his soul-ripping insults. =<

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

There's some left over speech in Sonic CD. That's not Ryan.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

SegaSonic wrote:
quick somebody turn off segasonic's internets before it's too late
Well Excuse me for being HUMAN!

I Care for the real Voice actors like Ryan Drummond! he Was the First and best Sonic Voice for the games, and his removal didnt have an excuse at all!

..Ill Import from now on, I wont swallow 4KIDS' Shit Unlike you losers !

Enjoy 4KIDS you dirty Kids!
shit dude that's just mean

:cry:

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

I'm glad that he's on my ignore list somewhat.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Typical, You just refuse to see the truth and preffer to ignore it.

now thats just being a wuss.

LOOK AT ME! IM DUMB, STUPID AND HATED, YET I FIGHT FOR MY CAUSE!

I dont care about what people say, TALK IS CHEAP!

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Honestly, all you need to do is be a bit less emotional and take yourself less seriously and you'll fit in like a lubricated stick of butter.

Oh, and it also helps if you avoid insulting people left and right. Teasing is what's preferred, and that means being at least a little witty while doing it.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

SIGH...Im such a moron...Youre right this world is pathetic.

I guess I can turn into the depressed Goth guy now.

Thanks for the help Axel, I wont bother anymore.

Carry on!

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

SegaSonic wrote:

Bearing in mind I'm not the first to admit to ignoring, you're quite slow at taking it up. Or were you waiting for someone who wasn't as respected as Baba :wink:

Nova

Post by Nova »

Frieza2000 wrote:You're telling me that dubbers base their scripts on how many syllables are in the Japanese counterpart instead of just cutting and pasting a few frames to alter the mouth movement and increasing or decreasing the length of a scene? That doesn't make sense. Maybe it was done that way in the 80s and 90s, but I'm pretty sure that every recent anime I've seen has been accurately translated and the mouth movements still sync up.
But 4kids likes doing it cheap…

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Omni Hunter wrote:
SegaSonic wrote:

Bearing in mind I'm not the first to admit to ignoring, you're quite slow at taking it up. Or were you waiting for someone who wasn't as respected as Baba :wink:
No..not at all, Im just lame.

Plorpus III

Post by Plorpus III »

Indeed you are. Run along now and leave this topic be. After all, those other threads aren't going to ruin themselves, now are they?

WhoopA

Post by WhoopA »

Somebody douche him, please.