Shorts - Next Gen Sonic · Sega Sonic fully playable

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
big_smile
Drano Master

Shorts - Next Gen Sonic · Sega Sonic fully playable

Post by big_smile »

Next-Gen Sonic announced at GC
New game to be shown at TGS

Early reports from GC 2005 suggest that a next-gen Sonic title is in development. According to JeuxFrance, Naka told convention attendees that the new game will be shown at the forthcoming Tokyo Games Show.

More information about Naka’s visit to the German convention is expected to be released later today.

Thanks to Vlad the Vampire and Sonic Online for the link.

Sega Sonic Arcade fully playable
Improved Sega Sonic Arcade emulation in Mame 0.99

The newest release of MAME, the Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator, boasts improved emulation of System 32, allowing Sega Sonic Arcade to be emulated properly for the first time.

Although the emulation isn’t perfect, each level can now be fully played including several areas that were inaccessible in previous releases of MAME.

The emulator can be downloaded from the official MAME website.

Thanks to Heran_Bago for the link and for testing the emulator.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Hurrah, TGS is pretty soon, yeah?

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

September 16-18, apparently.

Bo
Drano Master

Post by Bo »

I played as Ray in a game for the first time in my life today, and now have can play Sonic the Fighters on GameCube if I buy Sonic Gems. Two things I've always wanted to do, almost enough to rekindle my interest in video games.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Am I the only one who gets a corrupted .zip when downloading the new MAME?

Edit: Nevermind, old version of zip.

Edit2: Since it would be rude to interrupt the wonderful arguing with on-topic stuff, I'll put it here. The max score in SegaSonic is 1824. The number of rings in each stage are as follows, in order: 63,64,85,39,39,64,70. You may also find it humorous that I got 101% of the rings in level 6. All that's left for me now are the patrol cars and 2 handhelds I'll never find. I've finally done what I set out to do over a year ago.
Last edited by Frieza2000 on Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Bo wrote:I played as Ray in a game for the first time in my life today, and now have can play Sonic the Fighters on GameCube if I buy Sonic Gems. Two things I've always wanted to do, almost enough to rekindle my interest in video games.
Playing a couple of ancient spin-off games is what was required to 'rekindle your interest' in the industry?

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Well there is nothing wrong with the industry unless you are a selfish emo kid that wants every game to be custom-tailored to your exact preferences.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

chriscaffee wrote:wants every game to be custom-tailored to your exact preferences.
Wouldn't that be great?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Who WOULDN'T want that?

Come on, it'd be win/win! (For me.)

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Well I disagree. I've been able to find many an enjoyable title the way the industry is now. Maybe my tastes aren't "refined" or "hardcore" or whatever, but I think there are fun games out there. If you can't find any, then you are probably a very boring person or you need to find a new hobby that you can get excited about.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

You're adorable, Caffee. Did anyone ever tell you that?

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Your penis is proof of irreducible complexity.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Oh for god's sake, Chris. I know your earlier post was only meant to incite an opportunity for you to bitch about your favourite pet peeve again, but no one even fed you the lines you needed yet. No one said a word about the "industry." I'm pretty sure you or anyone else would like it more if you thought EVERY game was awesome than if you only thought SOME were. Don't be a cock.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Well, actually, Popcorn's the one who first mentioned the industry; I was going to reply "Bo never said anything about rekindling his faith in the industry, he said about rekindling his faith in <i>games</i>. Maybe Bo lost interest in videogames down the line, but these ancient games rekindled his faith" but such a post seemed too trivial to create.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Esrever wrote:but no one even fed you the lines you needed yet. No one said a word about the "industry."
Popcorn wrote:Playing a couple of ancient spin-off games is what was required to 'rekindle your interest' in the industry?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Don't be a cock.
He can't help that. I don't even argue with him anymore, it's just funny watching him flail his arms around.

Just out of curiosity, Caffee, how old are you?

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Poison Eggroll wrote:Well, actually, Popcorn's the one who first mentioned the industry; I was going to reply "Bo never said anything about rekindling his faith in the industry, he said about rekindling his faith in <i>games</i>.
To be honest, I only said 'industry' instead of 'games' in order to avoid using the word 'games' twice and hopefully make the sentence read a little better, but clearly that was a terrible mistake. I apologise for the inconvenience this has caused.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Green Gibbon! wrote:
Don't be a cock.
He can't help that. I don't even argue with him anymore, it's just funny watching him flail his arms around.
I have a few fights left in me before I reach that stage. I came pretty close to it when he started saying that Halo 2 was worse than Halo 1 because the way the Master Chief reloads the guns is less realistic and that really matters to him, but perhaps this one will finish me off:
Well I disagree. I've been able to find many an enjoyable title the way the industry is now. Maybe my tastes aren't "refined" or "hardcore" or whatever, but I think there are fun games out there. If you can't find any, then you are probably a very boring person or you need to find a new hobby that you can get excited about.
I have a raging super-boner for Shadow of the Colossus, but that's about it for this year, actually. So what are you looking forward to? Shadow the Hedgehog? Go on, tell us, so we can laugh at you accordingly.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

I am much too busy enjoying the games I already own to waste my time worrying about what new games are coming around the corner. When I get bored with my current batch, then I will look into something else.

That is why I don't care if every game appeals to me. Because when I get a hold of a game I like, I just don't put it down until I am revolted by it. If I have ten awesome games, nine of them are going to be on the shelf for months, so what good do they do me? Tell me why I need them.
Last edited by chriscaffee on Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

chriscaffee wrote:
Esrever wrote:but no one even fed you the lines you needed yet. No one said a word about the "industry."
Popcorn wrote:Playing a couple of ancient spin-off games is what was required to 'rekindle your interest' in the industry?
Fine, Chris. Let me rephrase so that I'm more in keeping with your love of irrelevant assine detail. No one said anything about the industry being horrible. Your post was a counter to a point that wasn't made. It was just another all-too familiar unprompted broken-record outburst, like a car alarm going off in a parking lot when no one is trying to break into it.

I hope I've cleared that up for you.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

As per your question regarding why one would need ten awesome games at a time, most of us here like to play awesome games. Therefore we buy awesome games as they are released, so that we can play them when we have time.

And what do you mean "worrying about what new games are coming around the corner"? I don't think you could call what any of us do "worrying"; it's most definitely better defined as "anticipating." Games seem to be the predominant hobby around here, and therefore the people that post here show an equivalent amount of interest in games and upcoming games. I don't see how discussing and anticipating upcoming releases that interest us amounts to "wasting time worrying" in the least.

A little hypocritical coming from the guy that "wastes time worrying" about reloading animations in a video game.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

I'll make it very simple for you.

I've been playing and enjoying Halo 2 for the last eight months. I'm certain that I could continue playing and enjoying it for another eight months. If I get bored, I can throw in KOTOR for a while, or play PSO with my cousins.

As a gamer I am satisfied.

Now tell me why I need to anticipate upcoming titles.

And while you do that, I'll work towards my daily quota of Running Riots.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Hey guys, what's going on in this thread?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Hey Caff, by admitting that you've been on the same old games for the past eight months, aren't you also kind of conceding to the fact that there's a problem with what's coming out now? Or are you simply conceding to the fact that your ignorance as to what's available justifies your stance?

Either way, the fact that you could spend eight whole months on any one game, regardless of how good (which excludes Halo from most consideration), is a pretty revealing fact in and of itself.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Indeed. Even supposedly addicting stuff, like WoW, couldn't hold me even the length of the beta I was in. PSO is probably the game that kept me the longest, something around 1000 hours. But that was spread out in 4 sessions (Dreamcast, PC, Xbox, Blue Burst) over 5 years.

Halo 2, ha. Beat single player, played online for a month or two (and then, only with a friend, and only because it was the single Live game we shared in our collections). Then we got bored, his brothers broke his headset, and that was the end of that.