Shorts: Mega Drive CD • New SoJ web service

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
big_smile
Drano Master

Shorts: Mega Drive CD • New SoJ web service

Post by big_smile »

Mega Drive Melodies
:FJ: Mega Drive CD

Japanese music publisher Scitron Discs is releasing a CD containing music from over 20 Mega Drive games. Titled Sega Mega Drive Super Melody, the disc includes both original and remixed sound tracks.

While none of the Sonic games appear in the collection, there are sound tracks from Sonic Team related titles including Phantasy Star II & III and Ristar.

The disc will be released in Japan on 20 July with a special booklet. More information can be found at SD Station.

Sega Link Launches
:FJ: New web service from Sega Japan

Sega Link is a new web service from Sega Japan that combines Sega gaming with an online community. Visitors can play emulated versions of classic Sega games, stream video from the latest Sega games and commercials, chat to fellow Sega fans and create their own homepage. The games and videos can be purchased using a special virtual currency known as ‘Sega Cash’.

A number of Sonic Team related games are in the emulation section including Phantasy Star and Ristar, with more being planned for the future.

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

Dag. I hope we can get an English version some time. As for the emulation, it seems SEGA is also getting into the "download-our-games" trend the Nintendo Revolution and the Phantom are cooking up. Here's hoping for a downloadable NiGHTS.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

The Phantom isn't cooking anything up, because it's dead. It's been dead for a while, as a matter of fact.

I highly doubt they'd make an english version of Sega Link, unfortunatly.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I saw the Phantom's creator or somesuch on that G4 show that used to be the Screensavers. He demoed the system and It was awful, like a charade that's been played out for far too long.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I think it's high-larious that the system is named "Phantom". I bet it was a big prank from the start.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

I really hope so. I'd rather look back at this and say,

"Remember when those 'Infinium Labs' guys fooled everyone for two whole years into thinking they were making a console, and they kept 'delaying' it with the excuse that they were being held up by a bunch of nonexistant lawsuits against people who offended their egos?"

instead of,

"Remember when Infinium Labs made that console that was held up for years as they devoted their time to lawsuits against people who offended their egos, and then when it came out it sucked, nobody bought it, and they went out of business?"

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

You could just say "Remember the Phantom? LOLZ".

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Professor Machenstein wrote: As for the emulation, it seems SEGA is also getting into the "download-our-games" trend the Nintendo Revolution and the Phantom are cooking up.
Sega's actually been releasing emulated download games for a few years now. Sega Link will make their efforts more accessible to consumers who don't have credit cards, as the Sega Cash virtual currency can be purchased from Sega Arcade centres.
Professor Machenstein wrote:Here's hoping for a downloadable NiGHTS.
It was released as part of the Sega B-Club service in 2003. Naka was very impressed by the quality of emulation and hoped that Burning Rangers would appear on the service. ^_^

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Was NiGHTS actually released in the B-club? Apparently they did have it emulated at one point and were planning to release it, but I think the B-club service was dropped before it could happen. I don't think any Saturn games were available for it at all.

EmeraldGuardian

Post by EmeraldGuardian »

O_O My baby?...(Ristar)

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Hoo boy.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

It's good to see at least Sega of Japan did not forget all about Alex Kidd...

http://segalink.jp/game/classic/cl_alexkidd.asp

Edit: Oh and hey I'm back!

CE

Post by CE »

Opa-Opa wrote:Oh and hey I'm back!
No you're not.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

CE wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote:Oh and hey I'm back!
No you're not.
Aw, damn. I was so sure of it!