Sonic Rush media finally surfaces

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Rlan
News Guy

Sonic Rush media finally surfaces

Post by Rlan »

Video of Sonic Rush finally appear!

After E3 was over, two websites have finally uploaded some cam footage of the Sonic Rush demo. SEGAONLINE.nl and Ruliweb have posted this footage:

SEGAONLINE.nl:

http://robert.host-masters.net/vids/e3-1.mov
http://robert.host-masters.net/vids/e3-2.mov

Ruliweb

http://ruliwebfile.dreamwiz.com/mpeg3/e ... nic_01.wmv

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Do I see Small Animals?

I believe I do!

I think this looks really good in motion, or at the very least, Sonic's low-poly state isn't really a concern when watching a crappy MOV file. The extra screen showing a part of the level above you before you get to it (a preview, basically) seems to work pretty well, as long as the game is designed with more ups and downs I think it'll work out really well, getting to see more of the stage all at once seems to make the levels more coherent, like putting together a puzzle with really large DS chunks instead of tiny GBA-sized ones.

I didn't realize the boss fights would be full on Klonoa-style 2.5D and not just polygon bosses on a 2D backdrop--they take advantage of it for cool angles and stuff, and I'd say that alone is well worth un-spriting Sonic.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

It's got nothing to do with Sonic Rush, but I dreamt last night that I was in a hotel playing the Shadow game... on an N64. What do you think that means?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

The animation is pretty impressive. This doesn't look nearly as bad in motion, but I'm still not sold on the vertically-inclined levels and view.

Gwilym

Post by Gwilym »

Those Dutch guys also were going on about how you didn't really use the touchscreen at all, but when you do use it, it's to make Sonic spindash.

Oh, and they also said the vertical screen is 'extreme cool'. Which is, uh. Hm.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

That looks awesome.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Huh. So when you spindash, do you just hold the stylus on the touchscreen, or do you make circles?
Anyway, looks slick.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

This looks potentially decent. The level looks like Mushroom Hill Zone, and there looked to be at least one alternate path and no pitfalls whatsoever. I hope DIMPS aren't behind it.

The model looks a lot better in motion, but I still think they should've stuck with pure 2D graphics.

If they're the classic animals then that's definitely a plus.

The boss doesn't impress me much. How many times has that been done before? It's just Lava Reef Act 1's boss all over again.

minnietguinea

Post by minnietguinea »

Looks like Sonic Advance 3's "yeah" is back....

damn.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

I was hoping that the extra vertical height would increase the scope for multiple routes (as in Sonic 3 & Knuckles), but from the demo it appears that the level dictates when you move to the upper areas.

Moving between screens also seems slightly disorientating (particularly when at full speed). Hopefully the placement of obstacles will be more considerate than in the Advance series to prevent unnecessary deaths from failing to react in time to changing screens.

However, it is pleasing to see that Sonic Team aren’t forcing the use of the touch screen, so this might turn out to be better than Dimps’ GBA efforts.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

After the video Spazz posted I'm growing more concerned that this will suffer from another problem that plagued the Advance series - Just Hold Right Syndrome.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

The graphics look nice. The level design looks pretty linear, though, not to mention vacant.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

The Boss Battle's Camera was interesting, maybe it will have more of that on other levels!

The only thing I Hate in Rush is those Eggpawns!!

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

A point I have made many a time. I do like the level design though,
it actually looks, dare I say, good.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Green Gibbon! wrote:It's got nothing to do with Sonic Rush, but I dreamt last night that I was in a hotel playing the Shadow game... on an N64. What do you think that means?
I think it means you play too many video games.

I must say that the videos have pretty much wiped out most of the fears I had about Rush. Using two screens still seems gimmicky, but it looks like it could be a lot of fun. Can't really comment on how challenging or well-designed the stages look, since you never really can judge by these short videos.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

AGREED!

The level design Owns!

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I just don't know. It has that same overly-sparse look that plagued a lot of Advance 2. The level art looks nice, though.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Using two screens still seems gimmicky
Would it be better if they didn't use the second screen?

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

It might be better if they developed it for the psp and used the extra wide screen to help avoid deaths due to lack of forward visiblility. Second'd on the overly-sparse comment, though.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I think it means you play too many video games.
Boy, that's like a recording. Everytime I mention a weird dream to anyone, totally different groups of people who have no contact with each other whatsoever, and I go, "what do you think it means?" they invariably, immediately reply with "It means you play too many videogames."

Like that time I had the dream (probably my all-time favorite) where I'm walking around my castle, and I'm out on a balcony that I don't visit often and I notice a broom closet. I figure I'll clean it out since it's probably really dusty, so I open it up and there's an old lady inside smoking crack. As soon as she sees me, she screams and lunges at me. I sidestep out of the way and she goes flying over the balcony. I walk up to the edge and look down just in time to see her scream and leap back to her feet. She then flies back into my castle and up the stairs, then lunges at me again. Once again, I sidestep, and watch as she plummets over the edge of the balcony, screams, then leaps up and repeats the process. This happened three or four times before I woke up.

Now, in the 20 years that I've been playing games, plus additional research on obscure titles for obscure systems, I have never played any such game! I think it would be awesome, I'd love to play a game like that, but I certainly never have up to this point or I think I would've remembered it!
It might be better if they developed it for the psp and used the extra wide screen to help avoid deaths due to lack of forward visiblility.
Boy, I second that. I would much rather see this thing on the PSP, then I might be excited even if it is just Sonic Advance 4.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

I don't see why anyone would think a dream that's obviously so game-like could mean anything except "too many video games."

The "games" I play in my dreams aren't (usually) real games, it's just that they tend to play out the same way video games do, repetative action solves problems, defeats enemies, gets me over bottomless pits, saves me from crack-smoking hags--things happen over and over with slight variations. Sometimes I lose or I'm unsatisfied with the result so I keep on trying until I get something I like.

On a more disturbing level, perhaps a subliminal fondness for the repetative action found in games makes masturbation more appealing to gamers than non-gamers? Someone looking to pin some problem on video games oughtta stop focusing on violence and do some studies on that! That'll get the mainstream out of gaming and it'll be back to us nerds and geeks again!

The most gamey dream (a whole set of them actually) I ever had was after entirely too much Guardian Heroes where I jumped around and perfomed special moves by performing "controler motions" with my body, but I think that's a special case, most of my dreams' connections to games are less obvious.
Shadow game... on an N64. What do you think that means?
It's normal to have dreams about games that you are anticipating (or dreading) on one level or another, and the hotel room is obviously associated with those weird kinds of setups you sometimes find in hotel rooms, consoles permanently wired into the TV, "pay per play" setups, that kind of thing. You find weird stuff you didn't think existed, so why not? It's a Shadow on the N64. Seems like a perfectly ordinary dream to me.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

I once dreamed I was going through Emerald Coast. It was a conglomeration of a lot of settings and events, but Emerald Coast stood out. I used to keep a dream log, and I still have it, but I haven't had much of a will to keep writing in it.

For some reason, whenever I'm flying in a dream, I'm always afraid to stay up in the air too long; It's like, if I fly for too long, I'll never be able to touch the ground again. I can hover a bit, but I'll still never be truly grounded. I don't know how such a fear developed in me, because the feeling happens to me in all the dreams when I'm flying.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

In one dream I went into space on a skateboard which I can't even ride anyway. Before I get into space I hit my head on a cieling, but this makes no sense as I am in open ground.
I fucking hate it when I have a good dream but suddenly I trip up, even in mid air, and wake myself up.
Just as bad is when I wake up in my dream and confuse myself because I go to work and everything in it. Allbeit that a donkey is in the driveway.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

So how about this one fresh from last night: I was in this house that was loosely modelled on the old house that I grew up in (I've still never had any dreams involving the new house). I was with a group of friends who didn't seem to be anyone inparticular, but would all phase in and out of being Urusei Yatsura characters. Then there was this weird, like, blue storm outside, and I watched as this blue tornado formed. (Tornadoes are also something I dream about often.) Its top half was a hot naked chick, like some Final Fantasy summon, and I kept trying to run to it, but this chick in the house kept holding me back saying, "No, it's a tornado! You'll kill yourself!" Eventually she won out and I went back into the house where the lot of us cowered in a closet. The storm passed, and we went outside to see that the whole area had transformed into Palmtree Panic past. BGM and everything. The rest of the neighborhood was gone, we seemed to be in wilderness. On the front doorstep we had left a stack of old toys (mostly games) which we had apparently put outside before the tornado struck, though I can't imagine why we'd do such a thing. Somehow the toys survived, and one dude, who at this point was quite clearly Megane from UY, screamed something about the toys of our youth, then the music from that star-glasses dude in Space Channel 5 Part 2 started playing. I woke up with that song running in my head and went to take a piss. I went back to sleep and had a mostly unrelated dream where I was with the same group of people (Lum was definitely in it this time) except we were in my grandparents' house. We were still apparently the last survivors of the Palmtree Panic apocalypse, and we discovered that we had to form "sleeping buddies" in order to get any rest, because there were some of us who were lighter sleepers. Oddly, I ended up on the heavy sleepers side, which is weird because in reality I'm an extremely light sleeper. Anyway, we were in the process of determining my ideal sleeping buddy (best candidate was some chick who I think was Shinobu), but the dream somehow evolved into me hanging with some guys who lived in a McDonald's. All the chicks there were bottomless. It was cool because I could just have shakes whenever I wanted without having to pay, then there was something about a yacht and an island and there were alot of people trying to get there, but I couldn't fit on the first yacht so I had to wait for the second, and I was really angry because I kept thinking about Pioneer 2 and all the people they fit on that, then I woke up sometime around there. I'd only achieved about six hours of sleep.

That's all quite true and accurate. Any Jungian analysts around here?