Video Games are WAR SIMULATIONS

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Video Games are WAR SIMULATIONS

Post by Delphine »

<a href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050520/ap_ ... games">Ill. Senate OKs Video Game Restrictions</a>
Fri May 20, 9:43 AM ET
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. - The Illinois Senate approved a version of Gov. Rod Blagojevich's proposed restrictions on the sales of violent and sexually explicit video games to children, even though some senators said the idea is unconstitutional.

The measure approved Thursday would require store owners to determine which games are too violent or sexually explicit for anyone under 18. Anyone selling them to a minor could be fined.

Both chambers have now approved the video game restrictions, but the Senate version removed the possibility of jail time for offenders. That means the revised bill now goes back to the House.

The sponsor, Sen. Deanna Demuzio, denied the measure would interfere with free speech rights.

"Video games are not art or media," she said. "They are simulations, not all that different from the simulations used by the U.S. military in preparation for war."

But other senators said the courts have already struck down similar laws elsewhere. They predicted the Senate-approved measure would never take effect and the state would end up paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees.

Still, even some critics said they would not vote against the measure for fear it would be used against them politically.

"I'm going to vote for this bill, but I'm voting for it for one reason — because this is a political bill," said Sen. Mike Jacobs. "If I vote against it, it will show up in a campaign mail piece."
My favorite part:
<i>"Video games are not art or media," she said. "They are simulations, not all that different from the simulations used by the U.S. military in preparation for war."</i>

Haha, yes. Katamari Damacy and Harvest Moon are going to teach me how to FIGHT IN A WAR. Resident Evil? SO REALISTIC. I know how to use a gun because Leon taught me! Lara Croft shows me that I can fire two guns while flipping in the air and NOT MISS!

I wish these people would understand that the whole goddamn gaming world isn't about Quake and Halo.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

I have been programmed to destroy beep.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Store owners are supposed to determine the content of games? Don't we already have an organization dedicated solely to this purpose?

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Shit! Playing Flicky has turned me into an Uber Commando!
Bwahahahahahahah!

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

"Video games are not art or media," she said. "They are simulations, not all that different from the simulations used by the U.S. military in preparation for war."
Obviously, the U.S. needs to prepare themselves from the threat of the Koopa Troopa brigade.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn »

Man, there really is nothing new that I can say about this sort of thing. If the governor wants to make a name for himself, I say, go ahead, feck off, do what you like.

It's just, it irks the heck out of me to see people like him and his senator friend decide they know what's best when it's clear they haven't done a dot of actual investigation. I can see exactly what they know; whatever media reports they've googled up, plus a good measure of hearsay and unjustified bad reputation that they already know about.

They'll be banning Pokémon next because of all that tentacle rape in "japanimation."

Fortunately I'm on another continent. Unfortunately, that continent is one that seems determined to become the biggest buraeucracy this world has ever known, so we'll see....

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

That bastard! I'm going to jump on his head and collect any coins he drops, that'll teach him.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Didn't the ending of Metal Gear Solid 2 say that the whole mission Raiden was doing a simulation? And Snake was all like "Making all the people play a simulation to become stealth operatives", or something alone those lines.

Not that the ending was any good.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Ugh. Just Ugh.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

Poison Eggroll wrote:Didn't the ending of Metal Gear Solid 2 say that the whole mission Raiden was doing a simulation? And Snake was all like "Making all the people play a simulation to become stealth operatives", or something alone those lines.

Not that the ending was any good.
The Metal Gear games also teach us that you can sneak up on anybody as long as you disguise yourself as a cardboard box with feet.

VGJustice

Post by VGJustice »

Omni Hunter wrote:Shit! Playing Flicky has turned me into an Uber Commando!
Bwahahahahahahah!
You too? Flicky Commandos!
Yeah, I hate stupid people. Not media? Then what in hell is Media to this person? Is it just what the TV tells her? Or her constituency?

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

What's objectionable and what isn't is solely a matter of opinion.
However, in general, I'd just like to say my name is Chuck, and Senator Deanna can get fucked.

-wyvern

Post by -wyvern »

I wouldn't mind so much if it was something sane like giving video games a similar, country wide rating system to movies and videos and making it legally enforcable. But this just seems unworkable and ridiculous. Simulation in preparation to war. Ha. And what happens if a store owner for selling a gory game to an eight year old? "I thought it was suitable! Honest!"

DarkPrime

Post by DarkPrime »

I can understand her point of view. Because I played Pac-man so much, I now spend my time in darkened rooms swallowing pills, and listening to repetitive music.
Last edited by DarkPrime on Sat May 21, 2005 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

You stole that from a t-shirt, you whore.

Dache

Post by Dache »

Nah, that's a real quote from someone in the 80's, trying to prove how ridiculous it is that people could be influenced by videogames.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

And the America decepcion continues...

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Deanna Demuzio's been watching "Toys" too much in my opinion.

DarkPrime

Post by DarkPrime »

Dache wrote:Nah, that's a real quote from someone in the 80's, trying to prove how ridiculous it is that people could be influenced by videogames.
Yeah, I haven't a clue who.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

"(3) provides that it is an affirmative defense to a violation of selling or renting violent or sexually explicit video games to minors that the defendant was a family member of the minor for whom the game was purchased or that the minor who purchased the game exhibited a draft card, driver's license, birth certificate or other official or apparently official document purporting to establish that the minor was 18 years of age or older, which the defendant reasonably relied on and reasonably believe to be authentic."

Cool. Now all we have to do is release a game about fake IDs, something like Fake ID Tycoon, Mario Fake ID. Bah.

This is as stupid as the Parental Advisory thing. Why can't the video-game companies defend themselves? Or even the gamers? Bah, the senate is a joke, so is this senator woman.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

There's no point to the proposed system at all. Like any other system it can be abused.

The Scarlet Scorpion

Post by The Scarlet Scorpion »

DarkPrime wrote:
Dache wrote:Nah, that's a real quote from someone in the 80's, trying to prove how ridiculous it is that people could be influenced by videogames.
Yeah, I haven't a clue who.
A Nintendo executive, if memory serves... I sadly can't remember her name.