Woah! Disney used to be hardcore!

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
muke

Post by muke »

Best Mickey strip ever? True that!

WB
Drano Master

Post by WB »

The Gottfredson Mickey Mouse comics are the stuff of PURE GENIOUS. The only stories Ive seen to come close o them in the modern day era was the stuff from Italy thats been translated in the states.

I remember that story with Emil Eagle. That was bad ass. Prince Penguin was equipped with a freeze ray, Pete was equipped with an Earthquake Ray, and Emil Eagle piloted the suit and stomped all around Mouseton breaking crap in a giant robot :D

Actually - **COMIC NERD ALERT** Emil Eagle never appeared in the Gottfredson newspaper comics, but was a villian in the latter years of the MM comic book primarily used by Paul Murry. He dissappeared into limbo during the first cancellation of Disney books and didnt reappear until that specific story - basically one of those "MYSTERY VILLIAN RETURNS" dealies.

Pete is the one classic Disney villian thats most widely known, but IMO The Phantom Blot is probably the greatest Mickey Mouse villian ever made considering that, in his initial appearance, he shot at, tried to knife, attempted to hang Mickey via the use of drugs, AND had time to be a Nazi spy. How cool is that?

The comic versions of Mickey Mouse OWN the animated versions tenfold.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It's true! And actually, the Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge comics smoke the animated versions, too. It's kind of sad.

I wish they'd publish more of those European comics over here. At the very least, the comics I've seen by Don Rosa are really slick.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Has there been a definitive collection of Carl Barks Scrooge stories yet? I've had trouble finding any reprints other than the Free Comic Book Day issues.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

It's true! And actually, the Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge comics smoke the animated versions, too. It's kind of sad.
I dunno. Ducktails is pretty similar to the Scrooge Comics. They added a bunch of annoying characters, and it's Launchpad instead of Donald - but aside from that, a lot of the stories are adapted word for word.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Well, they smoke the animated shorts, at least!

There was a deinitive collection of Barks' comics awhile back, but it's not in print now. They reprinted every single comic he drew in a series of massive, multi-volume sets of hardcover books. But we're talking about well over a thousand dollars worth of books, here. The dude was incredibly prolific.

Dash

Post by Dash »

I thought Gemstone was re-releasing the Uncle Scrooge comics in a series of paperback graphic novels. Was I misinformed?
Anyway, it's kind of interesting that everyone has a favorite Bugs Bunny cartoon that they can easily remember, but I'd be hard pressed to even think of a memorable Mickey Mouse short.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember that Runaway Brain short kicking all kinds of ass(You know that one Disney was showing before some of thier movies in the mid 90's? Or maybe this picture of a crazed monster Mickey could jolt someone's memory?). Seemed like a pretty gutsy thing to do with Mickey, and it was damn entertaining at that. Does anyone know where to find it? I've been scouring the net for an AVI or something but no luck so far.

Yeah, wish they'd do more interesting things with the Mouse in thier current works. Only Kingdom Hearts seems to be trying at this point, presenting him as a kind of "wise king" character. I like where they're going with that myself.
Pete is the one classic Disney villian thats most widely known, but IMO The Phantom Blot is probably the greatest Mickey Mouse villian ever made considering that, in his initial appearance, he shot at, tried to knife, attempted to hang Mickey via the use of drugs, AND had time to be a Nazi spy. How cool is that?

The comic versions of Mickey Mouse OWN the animated versions tenfold.
Huh, and here I thought The Phantom Blot was just made up for the House of Mouse thing. He sounds far cooler than he was presented.

Could someone point me in the direction of these steller sounding comics? For I now know I can't die happy without seeing them.

EDIT:You what I thought of that would be so cool but won't happen now that I'm mentioning it? Mickey's monstrous RB form used as a darkness form for Mickey in KHII(assuming he switches between light and dark like Riku)XD
Last edited by Dash on Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Wow, it's like... the Shadow of the Mickey world.
But much cooler!

Actually, he reminds me of Richard Elson's Supersonic.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Crazy Penguin wrote:Has there been a definitive collection of Carl Barks Scrooge stories yet? I've had trouble finding any reprints other than the Free Comic Book Day issues.
They are releasing a definitive Carl Barks collection here in Brasil named "O Melhor da Disney: Obras Completas de Carl Barks" (The Best of Disney: Carl Barks' Complete Works). There are 8 books already, and the complete collection will probably have over 500 comics.

I'm buying them all! Uncle Scrooge McDuck all the way! But we call him "Tio Patinhas MacPato" here.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Runaway Brain was released on DVD. It's on the final (second I think?) volume of colour Mickey Mouse shorts. I can't remember exactly what the set is called, but you can't miss it... it comes in a metal case.

Gemstone has started a few monthly and bimonthly titles that reprint various Disney comics. There's no rhyme or reason to which comics they choose to reprint, other than whatever they feel like or whatever is most requested. So, they're not exactly as definitive as a complete book collection of one artist's work would be. Still, the Gemstone comics are around 64 pages, and bookbound. They're nice to have.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

They've been releasing some new Mickey films lately. There's that one with all the villains from the Disney movies (hm... I believe it's called "The Villains"). There's another in which Mickey, Donald and Goofy are the Three Musketeers, and it seems it's the first Disney animated picture that has Mickey as the leading character. I believe the latest is the full 3D x-mas one.

I wish they did a new Ducktales though. That was the bomb.

Dash

Post by Dash »

*Sorry to bump an old topic, but I didn't see that anyone had answered my questions until now.*

Huh, never thought to look at the collections only because I figured it wouldn't be included due to it's obscurity. Nice to see that it was.

I'll keep an eye on those Gemstone prints, but isn't there a site with a plethora of comic scans or something?