Woah! Disney used to be hardcore!

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Zeta

Woah! Disney used to be hardcore!

Post by Zeta »

I was looking through issues of "Disney Adventures" from the early '90s and stumbled upon a Halloween October issue.

It featured a short story, WITH illustrations, called "Bunny Soup". It's about this little girl who has her crazy grandpa move in with her.

He kills and cooks her pet rabbit.

Then, because she's dressed up as a bunny for a school project, he kills and cooks HER, too - AND serves her to her mother.

In Disney Adventures, a magazing aimed at 10-year old children.

My GOD! The magazine would get their asses sued off of them these days if they did something like that.

On a similar note - why the fuck do people like Mickey Mouse? He's like a human version of Paris Hilton, only without the boobs - never done anything interesting or of value. People just like him because people are expected to like him. Moochy mouse.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

That story scared the FUCK out of me back then. I mean look, I even still remember it!

Stranger still, it was actually written by one of their readers. It was a scary story contest, and that was the winning story! I think they probably did get some complaints, because in subsequent years the winning stories were much, much tamer.

The whole magazine went on a massive downward slide after the first couple of years. These days, the magazine is almost entirely about movies and television, but once upon a time, it had actual articles about stuff like animals, volcanoes, and other things that weren't celebrities or Disney cartoons. :/

Mickey Mouse used to be cool.

Grant

Post by Grant »

Zeta wrote:He's like a human version of Paris Hilton, only without the boobs
I assume you're being ironic here, because Paris Hilton has no figure at all, let alone any boobs. She is the ugliest person that has ever lived and I'll never understand why anyone could ever consider her attractive. She has the head of a rodent on the body of 10 year old boy, not to mention one of the most repulsive personalities in the history of the world. I hate, hate, hate Paris Hilton more than anyone has ever hated anyone.

Anyway, it's kind of interesting that everyone has a favorite Bugs Bunny cartoon that they can easily remember, but I'd be hard pressed to even think of a memorable Mickey Mouse short.
Last edited by Grant on Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn »

They let him slide. They let him become an icon rather than a character. They let him lose all trace of personality, and sorta become a Disney badge.

I think they swore to change that around his big birthday a few years back. So far, though, I've yet to see any improvement, aside maybe from trapping him in hell at the end of Kingdom Hearts.

My brother says there's something I'm not quite getting about that, but I prefer my version.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Even when they have him guest-star on cartoons and videogames, they keep his face covered.

OF course! It all makes sense. Paul/Mickey is dead, and they're covering it up!

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

I dunno. I caught that "Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas" thing, and I was a little impressed with the amount of personality they embued him with. I mean, Mickey Mouse was <i>pissed off</i>, and <i>shouting</i> at Pluto, and it wasn't for a joke or anything. He was just being a short-tempered ass. It was kind of awesome.

Although, really, with that kind of voice, even when he's pissed off, he sounds stupid as hell.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Some people claim that Donald Duck says "<a href="http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/donald.htm">Fuck you!</a>" in a really old Disneq cartoon.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

In the older Mickey cartoons, the guy had a sort of mischevious edge. But as Disney got more and more popular, they grew less and less inclined to have Mickey do anything even remotely unfriendly. So the mouse was gradually drained of personality, shifting into more of a straight man role paired with other, less "moral" characters like Donald or Pluto. And that shift happened pretty darn early, too... basically, it was only shortly after he moved to colour that Mickey stopped being interesting.

PBJClock

Post by PBJClock »

Dunjohn wrote: trapping him in hell at the end of Kingdom Hearts.
he was trapd in Kingdom Hhearts

not hell
Zeta wrote:Even when they have him guest-star on cartoons and videogames, they keep his face covered.

OF course! It all makes sense. Paul/Mickey is dead, and they're covering it up!
a conspiracy? :confused:

Edit:10th post!!!!

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Wow, 10!

Grant

Post by Grant »

Who knows, he might make it to 11.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

This is my impressed face.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

In addition to what Esrever said, Mickey Mouse still keeps his mischevious, adventurous side in many of the overseas Disney comic books. From what little I saw and heard of them, they seem much more entertaining than most of the 40's Mickey Mouse cartoons where he's usually in dull, domesticated roles.

However, Disney tried to give Mickey his edge back in animation through the shorts that aired on Mickey Mouseworks and later, House of Mouse.

There was one cartoon in the 40's called Symphony Hour where the conductor, Mickey pulled an actual gun on Donald since he wanted to quit in the middle of the orchestra's performance. Pretty hilarious and a rare action for the character at the time, but I remember that scene was usually cut when Disney Channel used to air their theatrical shorts on the network.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

I remember some sketch where there was a music contest and Mickey was one of the judges. Donald Duck messed up his rendition of Twinkle Twinkle little star so he busted out an American-180 submachine gun (conceiled in a violin case) and started laying waste to everything in site. The audience ducked out of the way and he missed everything and finally these mechanical hand things that removed the rejects from the stage managed to grab Donald and shut him in the violin case. Goofy was the last contestant and some sort of weird tractor machine that had like ten different instruments, but it went into overdrive and exploded or something.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

<a href="http://www.dontfeedthewriter.com/11t/Mi ... ">Greatest Mickey comic strip ever.</a>

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Do you realize I was Walt Disney in my previous life?

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

Was Walt also a ninja?

Also, Mickey Mouse Works and House of Mouse sucks. Well, actually, there were a couple of shorts in Mickey Mouse Works that I thought were cool, but something happened to it along the way; like somewhere around the time the quality of animation seemed to dip down in quality. But I like how they dug up forgotten characters as some sort of eye candy and a nod to people who know who said characters were, or stuff like Donald living in a boat, which I thought was cool. But they totally screwed up Daisy.

Actually, I think the only shorts I ever liked from MMWorks was the Mickey Mouse car one, and the Halloween one with Donald's nephews.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

That newspaper comic was drawn by Floyd Gottfredson. Gottfredson was a genius, and his Mickey Mouse comics are fantastic. He kind of turned it into an adventure/mystery serial, especially once America entered the Cold War era. Mickey Mouse Vs. the Phantom Blot is a must read, if you can find it online somewhere!

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

The Phantom Blot!? WTF!? I reckon Mickey shot Bambi's mum, haha.
But seriously, Donald kicked arse.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I don't get the strip that Del posted. I agree with Grant wholeheartedly about Paris Hilton. I am now ending the post.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Why use a fucking shotgun when you can use pistol to the head (which is cheaper and easier) and what's with the FUCKING CUCKOO!!?

Seymour

Post by Seymour »

He's like a human version of Paris Hilton, only without the boobs
Paris Hilton has boobs!?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

That newspaper comic was drawn by Floyd Gottfredson. Gottfredson was a genius, and his Mickey Mouse comics are fantastic. He kind of turned it into an adventure/mystery serial, especially once America entered the Cold War era. Mickey Mouse Vs. the Phantom Blot is a must read, if you can find it online somewhere!
There was also a pretty kick-ass Mickey Comic book series published in the late '80s featuring Mickey fighting an evil penguin who tried to freeze the world, Pete with some sort of sumer-ray, and some badguy mastermind I can't remember. Might've been XXX. But anywys, the point is that the author kept it totally in contuniuty with Godfredson's comics.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Emril Eagle was the mastermind! Oh man, I remember those books! :D

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

j-man wrote:I don't get the strip that Del posted. I agree with Grant wholeheartedly about Paris Hilton. I am now ending the post.
Omni Hunter wrote:Why use a fucking shotgun when you can use pistol to the head (which is cheaper and easier) and what's with the FUCKING CUCKOO!!?
Okay, let me explain: Mickey wants to kill himself because Minnie doesn't love him. The clock goes "cuckoo" and he's all, you're right, this is crazy, that bitch ain't worth this.