Phantasy Star Universe site [sorta] opens! First screens!

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Rlan
News Guy

Phantasy Star Universe site [sorta] opens! First screens!

Post by Rlan »

http://phantasystaruniverse.com/

The site also has a little bit of the story, as well as two characters.

[Popcorn edit-- switched images to larger versions.]

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

I think this looks really cool! Looks like PSO2, which I've waited for for a long time.

I love the character designs and models. This is the first Sonic Team game I've wanted in a long time.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Are those actual real-time graphics? They look absolutely gorgeous.

I really really hope the offline mode is reminsent of classic Phantasy Star--not so much on the battle system but on the characterisations and story.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

I agree, so it's not *slash-slash-slash* all the way.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

So apparently last night I checked the PSU website <A HREF="http://ghzforum.nathantsui.com/viewtopi ... 0#29690">a couple hours too early</A>.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

In just these three screenshots it looks like the art style's already evolving. The characters seem to be wearing more organic "normal" clothing as opposed to the heavily mech-influenced "robotic" suits from the original PSO. Looks interesting.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

But where are the boobies? My stiffy is waning.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Maybe the armor that you have equipped will alter your appearance. I never got why so many RPGs didn't do that.

Diablo

Post by Diablo »

Graphicly it shows that it's just a ps2 game, how upsetting.

As much as I was looking foward to psu, my wait has now ended and all i'm looking foward too is the OST.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I actually think those shots look pretty good, but I suspect that's running on PC's and not actual PS2 hardware. It isn't nearly jagged enough.
I never got why so many RPGs didn't do that
That's alot of variations to model. The only 3D game I can think of where that was actually the case was Evergrace.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

The trick would be to model the armor and clothes seperately from the player's nekkid little body. I think most more recent MMORPGs (World of Warcraft for sure) are like that.

What I really find confusing about all this is that the official site and all that do not make any mention of the online. The genre is "RPG." I went back and looked at the old pages for PSO and they define the genre as "Network RPG." It's like they are playing down the online aspect (maybe so people who prefer traditional RPGs will not dismiss it right out?) in all the official materials.
Last edited by G.Silver on Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

KOTOR/2. Though some of them are just different colorations/textures on the same model.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

It's gay because I want it, and now I have to buy five year old hardware to play the sequal to the game I own on three year old hardware which was ported from six year old hardware. There seems to be something dreadfully wrong here.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Diablo wrote:Graphicly it shows that it's just a ps2 game, how upsetting.

As much as I was looking foward to psu, my wait has now ended and all i'm looking foward too is the OST.
Captain! The intelligence sector has been breached! I repeat! The intelligence sector has been breached!
Perhaps you meant to say...
"Graphically, it shows that it's only using about as much texture as a PS2 game. How upsetting.

As much as I was looking forward to PSU, the wait is over, and now all I have to look forward to is the OST."

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

I want to play it. The hundreds of hours of my life gone to PSO have no say in this.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Popcorn asked me to translate the story. I got fed up trying to lookup a certain kanji (I will find it eventually!) and decided to just summarize:

The setting is the "Glaur" (romanization probably wrong) Star System, home of three planets. Each is home to their own distinctive culture.

There has been war in the system. 100 years ago, there was a "Final Battle" and afterwards they kissed and made up and formed an alliance. Now, it's the 100th anniversary ceremony of that alliance and our heroes, Ethan and his sister Lumia, residents of the "Guardian Coloney," are enjoying the festivities. Suddenly, a huge vibration shakes the place and begins destroying warships that were parked around for naval review or something. It was not a comet but the life form, "SEED," which has apparently crashed into the planet or the coloney or I don't really know what. Pandemonium breaks out and apparently the SEED thing is eating people or something (perhaps just absorbing them) and defeating "Guardians."

Lumia gets seperated from Ethan, and in order to find her, he puts on some the the Guardians' gear and so begins his quest or some such.

The end.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

So it doesn't mention anything about the boobies, then?

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Green Gibbon! wrote:So it doesn't mention anything about the boobies, then?
I believe they come along with Lumia.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Judging from the story thingie, the characters and that old video that was the only thing we had for a larger amount of time than I ever wanted, I believe it will have a nicer single player/offline mode... I'm happy about happy about having three planets again.

Rlan
News Guy

Post by Rlan »

Bit of a translation:

[quote]The stage is the Graal Star System, consisting of three planets. Each planet has it's own culture, formed by it's different race.

The history of Graal Star System is filled with conflicts amongst the different races. However, after the Final Conflict 100 years ago, the union was formed amongst the three planets, which gave birth to the Allied Army and ultimately peace to the Graal Star System.

At this time, the 100 year anniversary of the Graal Star System Alliance is being celebrated. The main character Ethan, and his sister Rumia were both enjoying the ceremony, which showed off their space fleet - the pride of the Allied Army. However, one by one the fleet was destroyed by an incoming meteor shower, and even the lands were envelped in flames. It actually wasn't a meteor shower, but was a space lifeform that would later be called SEED, which tried to lead Graal to its destruction. From SEED which landed, invasions occured, and soon the lands were covered in darkness.

Even the Guardians Colony was suddenly attacked by the mysterious lifeform, and fell into a panic. In the midst of the confusion brought on by Gaurdians falling one by one, only Rumia remained in the rubble. To save his sister, Ethan would borrow the strength of the Guardians, and start his first which could mean life or death.

Characters:
Ethan Webber

Sex: Male
Race: Human

17 years old, living on the Guardians Colony. Came to watch the 100 year anniversary of the Planetary Alliance. Got caught up in the invasion of the SEED. Takes assignment after the initial SEED invasion, becoming a trainee of the Planetary Defense Organization [called] "Guardians". Began to train vigorously under Karen.

Karen Era
Sex: Female
Race: Newman

17 years old. Has 3 years of battle experience, and becomes Ethan's instructor. Experienced her mother being killed by a primeval (protozoan) lifeform, and even though is a Newman, has to live with the handicap of being unable to use techniques. Is a bit harder on herself than she needs to be, and stubbornly acts tough.[/quotes]

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Why are RPG characters always ridiculously young?

WhoopA

Post by WhoopA »

Seventeen ain't that young, at least in a fantasy/psuedofantasy setting. In medieval times you were considered adult at fourteen IIRC.

Dark Crow

Post by Dark Crow »

chriscaffee wrote:Why are RPG characters always ridiculously young?
Because it satisfies the 40+ year old Japanese men with Lolita complexes, which is approximately all of them. I assume the guys are young also in RPG to appease the fangirls.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Rlan wrote:
Karen Era
Sex: Female
Race: Newman

17 years old. Has 3 years of battle experience, and becomes Ethan's instructor. Experienced her mother being killed by a primeval (protozoan) lifeform, and even though is a Newman, has to live with the handicap of being unable to use techniques. Is a bit harder on herself than she needs to be, and stubbornly acts tough.
But does she have boobies?

CM August

Post by CM August »

Ever seen a 17-year old anime girl who DIDN'T have boobies?
Dark Crow wrote:Because it satisfies the 40+ year old Japanese men with Lolita complexes, which is approximately all of them. I assume the guys are young also in RPG to appease the fangirls.
Damn, beat me to it.