Sega trademarks "Sonic Gems Collection"

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Sega trademarks "Sonic Gems Collection"

Post by G.Silver »

According to the US patent office (and a tipoff from former GHZer Zerochan), Sega has put a trademark up on "Sonic Gems Collection." Will it be the long-awaited collection including Sonic CD, Sonic the Fighters, Chaotix, and (dare one consider!) SegaSonic Arcade; or will it be a new "Columns" game? Only time will tell!

The <a href="http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=s ... .1">search links</a> at the patent office tend to expire, so I have provided an image rather than a direct link.

They have also put a trademark on "Gunstar Super Heroes," which is equally (or perhaps moreso) exciting/worrying.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I bet they give the Master Emerald a gun!

Psxphile

Post by Psxphile »

The "Collection" in the title would seem to infer more than one, so a solo Sonic-inspired puzzle game involving falling crystals could (and should) be counted out. The "Gems" in the title would seem to infer quality, and save Sonic CD none of the others in your lineup really qualify for perhaps exception of their uniqueness and rarity.

That other Sonic game to be announced according to that press release on Sega's FTP, right?

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Or perhaps it's just a shitty pc port of Sonic Mega Collection, calling the games 'gems', and including all the game.com games for real die-hard fans.

And Sonic Championship was the best Sonic based fighting game ever.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

I don't infer quality from anything with Sonic in the label anymore. In my case the gems refer to precious "rarities," and considering all the "commons" have already been re-released on all the current platforms, I don't see what's left to collect.
solo Sonic-inspired puzzle game
That was a joke.

Dark Crow

Post by Dark Crow »

Taking into considering that Sonic Mega Collection had all of the Sonic related Mega Drive (and in Plus' case, most for the Master System) games on it, I reckon G.Silver is right in saying that this could possibly be a collection for all of the rare Sonic games that few have had the opportunity to play. Sonic Team really have very few old Sonic games left to farm out for the next-gen console's now

Of course, I'm still prepared for the possibility of this being nothing but a dolled-up Sonic Eraser. Years of disappointment from Sonic Team can be attributed to that.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Nice find G.Silver/ZeroChan! ^_^
Even the 'professional' gaming news sites have yet to report this story.

Naka did mention in this interview that Sonic CD, Chaotix, Sonic R, and Sonic Fighters were games that Sonic Team had yet to re-release and even said that he had “considered maybe putting [Sonic CD] out on something like the PS2 perhapsâ€￾.

After releasing Virtua Fighter 2 for PS2 Sega was reportedly interested in exhuming other Model 2 games for the system.

Sonic Mega Collection Plus only contained 6 of the Game Gear games, so the missing titles, which mainly comprised of the hand-held’s better games (such as Sonic & Tails 2 and Tails Adventures), could be used to pad-out a new collection.

Although, virtually every post-DC era Sonic Team game has been disappointing and it is worth noticing that Sonic’s Game World, Tails and the Music Maker, and the Game.com Sonic games are all rare titles (although I wouldn't mind the chance to the play the Pico games).

^_^

Lizard

Post by Lizard »

With our luck lately it's problably a game with only treasure hunting style levels.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

And of course, there was all that Sonic the Fighters footage in the Shadow trailer...

Not all the remaining games may be "gems", but man, do I want a collection that has them all. And since they'd need to get some kind of workable Saturn emulation to support Sonic R, you'd think they'd almost certainly throw in Nights (and hell, maybe even BR) as one of the extra unrelated games, just like Ristar in Mega Collection.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

About Gunstar Super Heroes, which I heard about yesterday on a German gaming site and certain message board-it is supposedly is a sequel to the original game. It would be a disaster if Treasure was not involved in any of since as of now Sega seems incompetant to pull off something spectacular as a Gunstar Heroes sequel that doesn't tarnish the name of the original. =/

CE

Post by CE »

Wouldn't it be funny if Sonic Gems Collection includes all the Saturn Sonic titles, including Sonic Jam?

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Maybe it's the new Rouge the Bat game everyone asked on Sega's new hidden poll. She runs around collecting gems (hence the Gems Collection) with a gun, and the Sonic name is there only to sell the product, since he appears only for a moment to "show the real power of teamwork!".

Seriously though, if it's a collection of any kind, I really hope it features SegaSonic Arcade and Sonic Championship. And I hope it has a PC version! What is that on "Goods & Services"? "...video game software, computer g...?"

JessicaPadkin

Post by JessicaPadkin »

Esrever wrote:And of course, there was all that Sonic the Fighters footage in the Shadow trailer...
You know, there's a brief shot of the Sonic the Fighters title screen that shows it has 'Arcade Mode' as an option. I never got the chance to play the game extensively, but wouldn't that imply the existence of a console version?

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Locit wrote:all the game.com games for real die-hard fans.
All one of them! =D
And Sonic Championship was the best Sonic based fighting game ever.
Out of all two of them! =D

So what's left to be ported that wasn't in SMC Plus?...

Mega CD
Sonic CD (both the JP/EU soundtrack and the US soundtrack should be included)

32X
Chaotix

Arcade
SegaSonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Fighters

Pico
Sonic's Gameworld
Tails and the Music Maker

Saturn
Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island
Sonic Jam (or at least the intro and Sonic World section)
Sonic R

Neo Geo Pocket Colour
Sonic Pocket Adventure

Game Gear
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic & Tails 2
Sonic Drift 2
Sonic Spinball
Tails' Skypatrol
Tails Adventures

Game.com
Sonic Jam (a crappy port of S3&K)

If they put extra effort into it (haha) they could include the option of switching between Saturn and PC versions of Sonic 3D and Sonic R.
JessicaPadkin wrote:
Esrever wrote:And of course, there was all that Sonic the Fighters footage in the Shadow trailer...
You know, there's a brief shot of the Sonic the Fighters title screen that shows it has 'Arcade Mode' as an option. I never got the chance to play the game extensively, but wouldn't that imply the existence of a console version?
Hmmmm... I think I recall the child raper saying that there was once a Saturn version of Sonic the Fighters that was never released.
Last edited by Crazy Penguin on Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bo
Drano Master

Post by Bo »

Zero still exists?

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Well I'm crossing my fingers for an Xbox release with Sonic CD and Arcade and Fighters.

Dache

Post by Dache »

Crazy Penguin wrote:Hmmmm... I think I recall the child raper saying that there was once a Saturn version of Sonic the Fighters that was never released.
I don't think it ever got that far though -- it certainly didn't get as far or would have looked as good as what was shown in the video. The Saturn could barely look anything like Model 2A, and never could do some of the wacky bending and distortion shit the arcade game pulls off on Model 2B.

Sega could have unwrapped a Sonic the Fighters board they had stored and capped some videos from it, but it wouldn't have had "Arcade Mode" written on the title screen. And they certainly wouldn't have rummaged through a random box of shit in some warehouse to find a buggy, beta version of Saturn Sonic the Fighters just to take a screenshot of its title screen when one from the arcade version would have done just fine.

So they would have capped some video from an upcoming, unannounced conversion for the PS2 or another console, and took a clip from its title screen at the same time. I hope. If it even had "Arcade Mode" on there in the first place. Don't have the video here to check.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I don't have enough faith in Sonic Team to think they'll go to the effort to give us all the remaining goodies. So, after giving it some thought, my money is on this as a game list:

Sonic CD
Knuckles Chaotix
Sonic R (PC Version)
Sonic the Fighters (Arcade)
SegaSonic (Arcade)

And then maybe one or two of the following: 3D Blast (PC), Pocket Adventure, Sonic Shuffle.

(Plus the remaining Gamegear titles if Gems is for any console that isn't the Gamecube.)

Since Saturn emulation is so notoriously difficult, I think it's at least possible that we won't see any Saturn titles at all... especially when there are PC versions of R and 3D Blast that could be used instead. But if they DO have Saturn emulation worked out, then I think we'll definitely see Nights and the Sonic Jam museum included.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

SEGA is weaving a conspiratory web more tangled than the SA2 storyline. I'm pushing for Sonic Championship, personally. It's engine was based off of the Fighting Vipers' engine, right? Was it that much more complex?

Dache

Post by Dache »

Yeah, I think it's a version of the Fighting Vipers engine (which itself is a heavily modified version of the Virtua Fighter 2 engine). It's a bit more complex in that it has a lot more detail in the background behind the ring, and the character morph, squash and stretch. The original concept came about during the making of FV when someone stuck a model of Sonic in the game and Yu Suzuki thought it was hilarious, so...

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

YES!! FINNALLY!!!! I HOPE!!

Sonic CD
Knuckles Chaotix
SegaSonic (Arcade)

ARE A MUST!!

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Esrever wrote:I don't have enough faith in Sonic Team to think they'll go to the effort to give us all the remaining goodies.
Me neither, just listed all of the possibilities for the sake of it.
So, after giving it some thought, my money is on this as a game list:

Sonic CD
Knuckles Chaotix
Sonic R (PC Version)
SegaSonic (Arcade)
That would be a dream come true, even without Sonic R. I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping that Sonic Team don't screw it up by making Sonic CD US sountrack only.
Since Saturn emulation is so notoriously difficult, I think it's at least possible that we won't see any Saturn titles at all... especially when there are PC versions of R and 3D Blast that could be used instead.
It's a damn shame in the case of Sonic 3D, the Special Stages in the Saturn version were amazing, the best in the entire series' history.
But if they DO have Saturn emulation worked out, then I think we'll definitely see Nights and the Sonic Jam museum included.
I don't think that Sonic Team would just throw NiGHTS onto a Sonic collection. I think that NiGHTS has enough of a cult following for Sonic Team to make a big deal about a port and release it to coincide with the 10th anniversary.

Nova

Post by Nova »

Is a fake, that sign is not even in color…or Sonic team is getting really lazy.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Nova wrote:Is a fake, that sign is not even in color…or Sonic team is getting really lazy.

I can't think of a good response for that.
Just no.