Samurai Champloo

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Pepperidge
Drano Master

Samurai Champloo

Post by Pepperidge »

Who here hasn't seen this new series from Shinichiro Watanabe, the alarmingly inactive director of Cowboy Bebop?

It's awesome, just in case you were wondering.

SuitCase

Post by SuitCase »

!

Is it a full 26-episode thing? How old? Must I download fansubs?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

So this is the first thing he's done since Bebop? I haven't heard anything about it.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I haven't seen it yet, but I certainly plan too. My GF has already downloaded it... I intend to swipe it from her.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Didn't Geneon USA own the English rights to the show before it even aired in Japan? I'm raising my eyebrow that certain fansub groups are bold enough to fansub the series.

I would predict that this will go to Adult Swim, however, it probably won't get the same respect as Cowboy Bebop did(despite certain content edits) because Williams Street are curently acting like twats towards anime.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

It was really cool and all, but hasn't the world seen enough cool samurai by now? I dunno, we're only one episode in, but at least Bebop had an original premise.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

But this is samurais with hip-hop. If you search through the vast world of existing science fiction, I'm sure you could stumble upon multiple other stories involving bounty hunters in space, but I seriously doubt you'd be able to find anything in the history of fiction that combines samurais with hip-hop.

Though believe it or not, there really aren't that many samurai shows these days. It's sort of like with westerns, which makes sense seeing as how samurais and cowboys are spiritually the same thing or something.
Ngangbius wrote:Didn't Geneon USA own the English rights to the show before it even aired in Japan? I'm raising my eyebrow that certain fansub groups are bold enough to fansub the series.
I wouldn't be surprised if this were to air on US TV before its run in Japan is even finished. It's 26 episodes, right?

What's a Champloo, anyway?

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Kill Bill had hip-hop in it.

Cowboy Bebop isn't really bounty hunters in space, though-- at least in any generic "Hmph, I've seen THIS before!" sense. I mean, Metroid is bounty hunters in space, but it's hardly the same: the fact that it's 'set' in space means its amount of different settings, characters and environments are by, necessity, unlimited in variety, whereas Champloo's setting is automatically much more limited in scope. Besides, that isn't really what I'm talking about.

There's gillions of anime and manga and films featuring samurai and katana swords and shit. There's further millions of these that feature samurai and katana swords and shit with a twist, which is nice and all, but all I'm saying is this is still fucking swords and shit. Again.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Well, it <a href="http://www.samuraichamploo.com/">looks pretty cool.</a> I'll have to check it out.

One Classy Bloke

Post by One Classy Bloke »

Seen it. Enjoyed it. You should watch it. Someone claimed it was like "the erotic fusion of Cowboy Bebop and Blade of the immortal".

I like it for Fuu-chan. She kicked ass. And nothing beats hip hop style editing!

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Ngangbius wrote:Didn't Geneon USA own the English rights to the show before it even aired in Japan? I'm raising my eyebrow that certain fansub groups are bold enough to fansub the series.
Not just one, but by my count like FIVE fansub groups are doing it. It's not a matter of practicality, there's obviously no tangible motivation for fansubber groups to do what they do. Some like AnimeJunkies do it because they think seem to think they're gonna be huge and that when people download their stuff it means they like them or something, or at least that's the impression I get, and at least they get their subs out quickly (if often poor quality). But when there are like three or four groups working a single series individually, you just have to ask, why are you doing this? I already downloaded these other guys' version, what was wrong with it exactly? I guess they just really, really want to make fansubs...

Anyway, I also like Champloo. Sure, there are a lot of samurai anime out there, but this one is BETTER.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

This has got to be self-parody, because it sounds like Watanabe is living out the events of "Cowboy Funk".

Only without the bomber dressed up as a teddy bear . . .

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Does it have nekkid boobies?
I guess they just really, really want to make fansubs...
I've played many a translated RPG and though to myself: "Huh, I could've written better dialogue than this." It's even more the case if it's an RPG I really, really like. Such as the original Grandia. I was desperate to find some fan translation group back when it only existed in Japan on the Saturn because I knew in my soul I HAD to write the dialogue for that game. Then of coure the PSX version came out in the US a few years later and it was awful. I still want to rewrite a complete English dialogue script for the game.

If it's the constant urge to one-up, it's something I can understand.

One Classy Bloke

This is how much you get in the first ep. Hopefully we'll get more later on.

BTW, do you mind images in posts, or do you want links? I'll change it if you want.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I don't think images in posts are a problem as long as they aren't so big they mess up the table. And as long as they're linked from elsewhere, but I don't think it's possible to upload those to the forum.

Also, those boobies are pretty small.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Also, those boobies are pretty small.

I dunno, I prefer them to Faye's OMG I HAVE BOOBS LOOKITME!!!

Then again, large breasts on skinny women in anime annoy me, because most skinny women have nice small pert breasts, and the lovely large squishy breasts are found on pleasantly plump chickas. I enjoy both versions, of course, but I'm just sayin'.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Small > Big

I realise this is a mathematical contradiction, but nontheless, Small > Big

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I have small boobies. Do you guys like my boobies?

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

No.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Post pics of your boobies so we can judge.

One Classy Bloke

I would love a GG boobie emoticion. Animated too!

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Is it because they're hairy? What if I shave them?

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Don't shave your boobs, the hair will just grow back thicker and darker. You'll have to use wax.

Dache

Post by Dache »

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Does it have nekkid boobies?
It has this...

actually, they are bombs as Classy Bloke pointed/spoiled.

{EDIT} OMFG!! Double Fuu boobie gif posted at the same time! It must be an omen!