‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ Movie Sequel in the Works

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
big_smile
Drano Master

‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ Movie Sequel in the Works

Post by big_smile »

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/soni ... ssion=true

Seems to be the same team as the first.

The first movie was more or less loved by the internet. To be fair, it was a good enough film, but I think a lot of adoration it got came from everyone expecting it to be a train wreck (especially before they changed the original hideous designs). It'll be interesting to see how this second film will be received, especially now that people have expectations for it.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Re: ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ Movie Sequel in the Works

Post by Locit »

Sonic got really lucky that it hit right before the outbreak. Seems like they're confident they can get it out once the pandemic is over, which is good. Not a lot of movies are being announced these days!

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

And DC signal boosting the film by calling their crowd demographic misogynists for choosing Sonic over Lames of Prey.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I've got pretty high hopes for a sequel. Aside from the end credits scenes (seriously, can we talk about those?!) I think that the success of the first one, especially following the very public reaction to the redesign, shows that you don't have to veer too far off track to adapt a property like this.

Sonic and Robotnik are already set up as more-or-less recognisable versions of the characters we know and love; you know that planet-hopping/dimensional travel is on the cards, making other familiar Zones or even the Special Zone viable destinations; you have the potential to explore the origins of Sonic's power, as a possible intro to the Chaos Emeralds; and you know ya boi Knuckles is gonna turn up sooner or later, just from the first five minutes of the movie! And that's not to mention little Miles Prower as a definite addition, which to me suggests we'll see some sick biplane dog-fighting action.

Assuming a larger budget is on the table (thankfully none of which should have to go towards last-minute redesigns) and I think we're going to see far more recognisable elements from the series, which will hopefully lend itself to more exciting scenarios. Having grown up on Sonic The Comic I'm not too fussed about seeing absolute one-to-one adaptations of the games, as long as they portray the characters in an interesting light, and have some fun with it too.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Teaser revealing the release date.(April 8 2022)

That's a pretty cool Emerald Hill remix but I don't have much faith that it means there will be more music from the games in the sequel.

Emperor Omochao

Post by Emperor Omochao »

It does seem like since Mania, they are giving more of what the fans want. Changing Sonic's design was a big gesture and hopefully a wake up call.

1. I hope this focuses less on Earth - Sonic's world has so much more potential, I really don't get the fascination with 'Sonic in the real world' since SA2.
2. I could easily see a running joke of Eggman claiming his Death Egg is an original idea and not a Death Star rip-off.
3. Super Sonic will probably be the finale. If we're *really* optimistic an Angel Island cameo after the credits.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I did see Masato Nakamura posting on the Tweeto about being proud of having his music in the next film... hope he's not just talking about that trailer! I thought JunkieXL did a fine job with the soundtrack (which doesn't get mentioned much) but I do wanna hear a sick Chemical Plant remix in there.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I always thought Wing Fortress Zone had a very movie-like sound to it. It would be fun to hear any of them incorporated into the soundtrack though, especially for the non-Earth settings.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Idris Elba voicing Knuckles

It sounds as though we are gonna roll right into a Sonic 3ish plot (allegedly).
I think I like the Idea of Idris voicing Knuckles, but at the same time I cannot fathom what kind of voice he is going to choose; I keep hearing Heimdal from the Thor movies coming out of Knuckles mouth.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Very late to the party, but I liked it. It was everything I expected, and there wasn't as much human crap as last time. Looking forward to Shadow in movie three.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Tsuyoshi-kun wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:23 am
.....Looking forward to Shadow in movie three.
Here's hoping they balance everything well, and we will find out 12-2024!