Mario and Sonic at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
big_smile
Drano Master

Mario and Sonic at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics

Post by big_smile »

The series is still dragging on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQduLFJ8iRM

I actually quite liked the first Winter DS version as it had a neat story mode. But then the story got progressively worse with each instalment. I think in the last 3DS title the characters only dispense play tips in story mode and the quest revolves around the player's Mii, which was just pointless.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Re: Mario and Sonic at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

The first winter game was also when they started getting pretty crazy with the Dream Events, which weren't even present in the last installment.

I swore this was an April Fool's joke when I first heard about this.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I'm kind of surprised; given that they skipped the 2018 Winter Olympics in Korea I figured they were done making Mario&Sonic games (or had lost the Olympics license).

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

I'm guessing sales must have dropped to do another winter title, but they probably think there's enough interest left for a main game, especially as it's set in Japan.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzaXI6hhzHA
^ Trailers out. Looks like there's an 8-bit mode, which is rather lazily done as everything has 8-bit graphics, apart from the Sonic characters which are 16-bit (unless that's just a fun thing for the trailer). Seeing as the Mario games were re-released with 16-bit style graphics, couldn't they have just used that style of sprite?

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

The weird part of the retro mode is that the Sonic animals like Picky and such have been slightly re-done to look more like NES sprites, but Sonic and Eggman are not.

I can only assume Nintendo mandate is why they don't use the Super Mario World / All-Stars sprites for the Mario cast.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

It's funny how most of the characters are now dressed appropriately for the events, if a little disturbing with a couple of cases - specifically Eggman. I'm just glad Sonic and friends are keeping their shoes on.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Tsuyoshi-kun wrote: I can only assume Nintendo mandate is why they don't use the Super Mario World / All-Stars sprites for the Mario cast.
That's probably the reason. Although it's too bad Sega didn't go for some 8bit Master System style sprites so they better match.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

It's similar to how Super Mario Maker on Wii U used Mega Drive Sonic 1 sprites for the Sonic Mystery Mushroom costume, despite all the rest being in an 8-bit NES style. Aesthetically, the Sonic Pocket Adventure sprites would have been a better fit.

But it's clear that Nintendo favours NES Super Mario Bros. for "retro sprite Mario" just as Sega favours Mega Drive Sonic 1 for its "retro sprite Sonic", and neither will budge on that, even if they don't mesh together well.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... FeNoTybjF8
^ So the classic 2D mode is indeed a thing, with Mario and Sonic competing in the 1964 Olympics in 10 different events.

This would be neat if it wasn't for the cheapo fan game look that comes from mixing the different sprites.

Maro Maker 2 has 8 and 16 bit modes, so couldn't they have done something like that here? Still, much like in that Sonic x Nike video game from a while back, it looks like Sonic will be getting some newly drawn frames of animation, which is always fun to see.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Yeah, I get that Sonic doesn't have a lot of 8-bit sprites available, but just pull sprites from / emulate Super Mario World, and you're good to go.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

https://twitter.com/UltimateDSman/statu ... 5773706240
^ Looks like there will be a story mode involving both classic and modern characters, including the return of long-time absentees such as Eggman Nega. The first story was excellent, but it got progressively worse, with the final Rio game just being the characters jibbering out-of-character play instructions. Hopefully, this installment will be a return to form.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

The Mario & Sonic Olympics devs really like using Eggman Nega. It makes sense, since he's an easy to model roster filler like Princess Daisy and Dry Bowser, but it stands out a little since, for some reason, he's never used in any of the racing or mobile games.

I never bought any of the previous ones, but if the skateboarding event has some depth to it, I might check this out. It looks like they're going the extra mile with this one, since it's being held in Tokyo and the Switch console is performing really well.