Sonic 2016 Rumours

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
big_smile
Drano Master

Sonic 2016 Rumours

Post by big_smile »

BlueParadox found this in the archives of 4Chan:
Anonymous 07/12/14(Sat)13:03 UTC+1 No.252776382 Report

Debugger working with Sonic Team who happens to be a /v/tard here, waiting for a plane, jetlagged to hell, killing some time on my laptop. Will take a few questions if you guys want.

Better post the token insider info first...

>Sonic Team working on 25th Anniversary game, internal title is just "Sega Sonic 25", but this has recently been changed to "Digital Sonic 25"
>Game is a "Celebration of Sega as a whole", which is basically Sonic Generations 2 without the boost stuff and has Sonic going through worlds from Segas past a bit like SASRT
>There's a couple of side projects
>3/4s of the Lost World team is working on Digital Sonic 25, but the team itself is much larger, taking notes from lots of figureheads from Segas past, there's a number of others working on 2 other projects
>"Sonic Runners" is a mobile game with a bit of pay2win in there, I haven't worked on it personally, but from what I've heard they're going for addictive fast paced platforming
>There's an exclusive Wii U title that's currently on hold as Sega have shifted the team to working on Digital Sonic 25 as they want it finished by this year to be polished for the anniversary
>The exclusive Wii U title is just an extended port of Generations and Colors, billed as "Sonic Colors Generation", with a bunch of extra missions and stuff. The core game is for the most part the same, warts and all

The story is pretty flimsy.

>Eggman kidnaps Tails
>Sonic goes through a Green Hill Zone level to get to Eggman
>Gets kidnapped himself
>Gets thrown in to a Digital world created by Eggman with the rule that he's "trapped forever" unless he can break the program
>Has to go through (so far) 11 worlds from the likes of Shinobi, Phantasy Star, all the token Master System/Genesis games finding a way to break the program
>Eventually gets free with the power of some kind of digital chaos emeralds and breaks the program
>Fights Eggman in Eggman Land, which he's rebuilt in Sonics absence

It's Segas 25th anniversary game, not Sonics
It sounds like a fan-fic, but the Runners information is spot-on even though it was posted several months before anyone knew that Sonic Team were working on mobile game.

The information doesn't match up with Jazzware leak from last year (Jazzware said Sega had plans for a 2015 game, which wouldn't make sense for an anniversary title, but it could be that Jazzware were referring to a different game that seems to have been scrapped).

If it is true, it sounds interesting. Generations main problem were the modern Sonic stages, so if they were reworking them to work more like Lost World (but without the tube nonsense) it would be nigh on perfect (assuming they maintain the quality of the level design, which was something LW greatly struggled with). (Although, I know I'm in the minority with my love of Generations).

It's also worth noting that previous 4Chan rumors like Propel and Excursion, which generated a lot of discussion on our forum, turned out to be false.

Yami CJMErl

Re: Sonic 2016 Rumours

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Both of these sound pretty interesting, I'll give them that. I know I'd definitely buy a Colors/Generations compilation game, and that Digital Sonic game sounds almost like the Worlds Unite crossover, minus the Capcom bits.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I remember reading this "leak" when it was first posted months(years?) ago. I would say that if any of this were true, it's definitely changed since then. Sega seems to be shifting their priorities in general to mobile gaming so it's no surprise that only runners of the titles mentioned has actually seen the light of day.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/192 ... nic-mach2/
^ Apparently, Romanus Fuhrman, the German voice actor for Orbot, has updated his résumé with a new game:
Sonic Mach2 (2015)
Video game by Sega
role: Orbot
This isn't the first time Fuhrman has leaked information. He previously listed 'Sonic Urals', which supposedly ending up being Lost World, although I can't see how that title relates to the content.

It also doesn't fit with the 4 Chan rumour, although, like Radrappy noted, their plans could have changed since then (Plus other than the Runners bit, we don't know if the rumour was true).

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread. ... t165410336

Iizuka confirms that Sonic Mach 2 will be coming soon, but it's not by Sonic Team.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Oh goody gumdrops, surely THIS ONE won't be as nut-grindingly awful as the LAST Sonic game not done by SonicTeam!

so basically expect "sonic boom 2: revenge of lyric" then

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

My money's on a sequel to Sonic Racing Transformed. "Mach 2" kinda screams racing game, and I'll bet Iizuka's talking about Sumo Digital.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Man, I hope that's true. All-Stars Racing Transformed was great. I'd like to see another go-round of the series.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I highly doubt this is the rumoured game but a new Mario & Sonic Olympics game has been announced

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Uggh, it looks exactly the same as the previous versions. At least there's a 3DS version this time (I enjoy the story mode on the portable versions, even though the stories aren't very good).

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

...didn't the last game have a 3DS version? I seem to recall there being console and handheld versions being made for all the M&S games...

at any rate this doesn't surprise me, this is pretty much the ONLY major Olympics game made anymore isn't it?

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

well, one things for sure - it's a sega game set in south america so it's gonna sell muchas loco.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Can anyone confirm for me if, since this one's set in Brazil, it would be culturally appropriate for Amigo (and maybe other Samba characters, like Linda) to join the Sonic roster this time? Or is that like, racist?

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

re: Olympics - You'd think a game set in South America would feature more Master System characters, but alas. Maybe they can put Alex Kidd in the crowd as a joke.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Do the Olympic games ever feature non-Sonic Sega characters (or non-Mario Nintendo characters for that matter)? I was under the impression that they don't even put in references to the other franchises.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Donkey Kong. Arguably.

Some would suggest he's further separated from Mario than Banjo-Kazooie. These people are best left ignored.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

The big problem with the Olympics games and a sub-conscious part of why they're not very fun to me is that it feels like the developers don't have fun making the game themselves.

The animations are always stiff and feel like they were done with the bare minimum of effort, There are rarely any very clever or creative inclusions or allusions from Sega/Nintendo's library of games and characters, and the overall presentation (menus and such) are very bland and uninspired. The whole thing smacks of routine and lethargy. So there's Rugby this time? And Jet the Hawk? Who cares; the developers certainly don't.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:Donkey Kong. Arguably.

Some would suggest he's further separated from Mario than Banjo-Kazooie. These people are best left ignored.
Only because of the Rare games giving DK his own stuff. IMO him and Mario are about as strongly connected as any other Mario-series character, given they both debuted in the same game.
Radrappy wrote:The big problem with the Olympics games and a sub-conscious part of why they're not very fun to me is that it feels like the developers don't have fun making the game themselves.

The animations are always stiff and feel like they were done with the bare minimum of effort, There are rarely any very clever or creative inclusions or allusions from Sega/Nintendo's library of games and characters, and the overall presentation (menus and such) are very bland and uninspired. The whole thing smacks of routine and lethargy. So there's Rugby this time? And Jet the Hawk? Who cares; the developers certainly don't.
I always figured this was because they're developed by SEGA, with Nintendo simply overseeing certain aspects and allowing the licensing of their characters. (also the common SEGA problem of making sure the game is out within a specific time period)

I'd wager that if it was the other way around, it'd probably feel a lot less like a poor man's WiiSports clone and more like actual WiiSports.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:Donkey Kong. Arguably.

I was thinking more along the lines of characters like Yoshi and Wario, who haven't been seen in a Mario game proper in several years (limited power-ups notwithstanding), yet are arguably more well-known for their own series.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Yoshi was in NSMBU, and that was 2012. That's not that long ago, is it?

(No Imagination)

Post by (No Imagination) »

I was thinking more along the lines of characters like Yoshi and Wario, who haven't been seen in a Mario game proper in several years (limited power-ups notwithstanding), yet are arguably more well-known for their own series.
Has Wario ever been seen in a proper Mario game, though? From Mario's point of view, Wario made some mess in Mario Land 2 and has been tame and away ever since (is there a more recent game I'm missing?). The guys seem to run their own businesses, only meeting up at the annual kart festival and an occasional party or sports match. Maybe getting drunk and dropping buckets on each other's heads in Wario's private woods for the lulz. Having him as an arch enemy in a full-budget game would feel kind of weird - the potential boss fights where he takes on his many signature powers or sets his pants on fire to become a flaming tower and stuff do sound intriguing, but I fear the obligatory nightmarish giant disembodied head final boss wouldn't go by with Nintendo too well. Because it would be like the Mario 64 intro, only ...evil, I guess.

(No Imagination)

Post by (No Imagination) »

...well, watching a YouTube video made me refresh my memory and realize that the giant disembodied heads were only random enemies and I never really reached the actual final boss as a kid.

Damn, that final stage was brutal. Screw that game, Wario Lands are much better.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Well, there's SM64DS.

Wario exists as parody of Mario; even in biker gear, he's Mario with an inverted 'M'. Like, you can't really ever separate Bizzaro/Venom from Superman/Spider-Man, mentally.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

(also the common SEGA problem of making sure the game is out within a specific time period)
At least this time a hurried schedule is somewhat justified, seeing as that it's got to get out in time for an actual, real-world event.

Seeing as how the first few Olympic games sold like hotcakes, do you think Nintendo would ever consent to a Mario / Sonic platformer? I think most fans of either series would say that the concept wouldn't result in a good game, but I'm not so sure.