We few, we happy, we Smash Bros. in arms.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Jingles

Re: We few, we happy, we Smash Bros. in arms.

Post by Jingles »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote: My preffered official Samus is this one (with a few provisos. Chiefly: jorts):

You asked for it.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I still think it's dumb to make a separate character out of an outfit that is not meant to be fought in. But if the plan is to give all the characters alternate skins based on famous costumes, regardless of how silly or impractical, these are probably as logical a choice for Samus as any. I do, however, now fully expect Twilight Princess Sumo Link for balance.

I hope regular Samus gets some of the Prime armor variations.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Jingles wrote:You asked for it.
You joke, but I feel it's necessary (since you've robbed my post of some context) to point out that THAT'S ABSOLUTELY NOT WHAT I MEANT.

Sometimes I think unintentionally invoke the powers of a wise-ass genie.

P.S. *preferred

ADDENDUM: "Her female designer"? Is this a translation error or a rationalization?

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Esrever wrote:I hope regular Samus gets some of the Prime armor variations.
Brawl gave Samus a Dark Suit (Prime 2) colorscheme, and an earlier screenshot confirmed that there's also going to be a Light Suit (Prime 2 again) colorscheme for her now too. If they decide to give her an alternate MODEL (a la Little Mac / RObin / Wii Fit Trainer), the obvious choice would be the original Power Suit (without the giant shoulders), though I would personally like to see the PED Suit from Prime 3.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I'd rather see the Fusion suit get its own model, if only because I prefer the 2D Metroids to the Prime series. I'd love to see more alternate costumes in general, there are a lot of obvious ones to go for, like Dry Bones Bowser or Funky Kong. We already know that Train Conductor Link is removed from the Spirit Tracks stage when a player is using Toon Link, so maybe that's in as an alternate costume too.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Smash 3DS comes out in Japan in a couple weeks, and there's billboards all over the place advertising it. They're really neat!

Gaming Icons!

Big eaters!

Pokeymans!

Cat fights...?

Anime swordspersons!

Uhhhh...name's the same (kind of)!

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Not that this one has been a spoiler for weeks, but:

The prophecy has come true. Thirty years of pent-up vengeance against this mutt came to fruition.

(Then again, he'll always laugh last.)

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I still don't like how he's literally named "Duck Hunt".

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I don't think he is so much "named" Duck Hunt as he represents the "concept" of Duck Hunt.

Neo

Post by Neo »

His smash attacks involve cowering on the ground while an off-screen Zapper shoots in his general direction, and his Final Smash knocks opponents straight into a Wild Gunman shoot-off, so yeah.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

So basically an entire game is playable? That's.....pretty mind-boggling, actually.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Neo wrote:...his Final Smash knocks opponents straight into a Wild Gunman shoot-off, so yeah.
This is the only real thing I take issue with. I mean, I get why it's like that (he basically represents the Zapper and related games, not unlike R.O.B. represents the NES hardware), but I think it would have been better served with him jumping into a pop-up field of grass, and a bunch of 8-bit ducks swarming the stage.

Neo

Post by Neo »

But one of his specials is also based off Wild Gunman. He's a pastiche of Nintendo's light gun experiments, and he's better off for it. Kind of like the Villager having the balloons from Balloon Fight.

Neo

Post by Neo »

A demo just went went up earlier today in the American and European 3DS eShops. It has unlimited uses, solo and local versus play with five characters and one stage (with For Fun/For Glory rules).

I still have three surplus codes, so if any of our European GHZ brethren (do we have any?) want in and don't have a Club Nintendo account, feel free to drop me a line and I'll PM the download code.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Wonder of wonders I was able to get a code from one of my friends. Anyone else have it and have any thoughts or impression. My initial thought is that the controls are pretty goddamn awful. I'm almost positive. the game is giving me carpal tunnel.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

I got the common demo, and played it a few times. I didn't feel any problems with the controls (but then again, I didn't get to play for too long each time); overall I thought it was pretty fun, and I do appreciate the opportunity to get used to the control scheme and the two new characters available.

With the game coming out next friday, I've noticed we never really did any 3DS FC sharing (or at least, I don't remember it). So unless it's better to create a new topic for it, this seems like as good a place as any to get new codes for everyone.

Here's mine: 1907-8743-7302

Neo

Post by Neo »

Brazillian Cara wrote:Here's mine: 1907-8743-7302
You know, this is the kind of shitposting that would really rile GG! up.

Mine's 1676-3739-6640.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

My code: 3866-9296-0856

So, has anyone else got the full game yet? I've been playing it a bit today. It's about what I expected. I was a little skepticle about how well the game would work on a portable but it plays really well and I haven't had any major issues so far. I'm finding most of the newcomers take a bit of getting used to but I'm really liking Little Mac and Pac-Man. The main new mode is Smash Run which I've played a few times but I'm not sure what to make of it. It seems like a better idea than Subspace Emissary but it just seems a bit awkward, confusing and not that much fun. I've only played it in single player though and it seems like it could be more fun with human opponents. Online mostly seems to work quite well although I did have one match that was really laggy and I've only played For Fun mode so far. Overall I'm really enjoying it.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

I've got it too. It's OK for a handheld game, I guess, but you can tell they didn't put nearly as much TLC into it as they did with any other Smash Bros game. It's fun online, but there is definitely some noticeable lag.

Also, Esrever kind of got his wish, but it's a costume for Shulk in his skivvies instead.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I would imagine a solid chunk of the dev time went into getting the game to run properly on a handheld at all. I feel bad that they had to squander so much effort on two whole games. Focusing on a single game like they usually do would've probably yielded better results overall.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

The real kicker is that the 3DS ver. is why Ice Climbers were axed (apparently Nana/Popo's AI were too much for the system). It's a damn shame too, considering how much variety they added, i.e., not animu.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I'm a lot more used to the controls now and am enjoying myself a lot. However, has anyone played an online match that didn't have crippling lag? This is a pretty serious problem given the somewhat isolated nature of this version of the game.

Also I echo the sentiments above me that the game seems to be somewhat lacking in TLC. There's no opening cinematic, which for a series that has had marvelous presentation in the past, is a bit of a bummer. Also, this is the first game I've ever booted up and just didn't know what to do with myself. There's no real single player mode apart from classic, but even that mode doesn't seem particularly motivated.

It'll be interesting to see what the wiiu version is like and how much it makes up for the shortcomings of its little brother.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

SO HEY there was a new Nintendo Direct all about the Wii U version of the game. Lots of cool stuff going on there!

(oh yeah and mewtwo is going to be a dlc character coming out spring 2015 and will be free for people who own both versions of smash)

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

RUTABAGA YEAH! MEWTWO! Man, Mewtwo was my favorite Melee character; I could not consistently win matches against other competent players using higher tier characters with him, but it didn't matter because he was just fun! and when I managed to play a perfect fight and win.. so sweet the victory.
HOO-YAH!!

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I was pleasantly surprised. With Greninja around I thought Mewtwo would be seen as too redundant. It's good timing though - he's recently become a relevant Pokemon again. His two Mega forms have the highest attack base stat and special attack base stat in the game.