New Sonic game for 2015

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Re: New Sonic game for 2015

Post by Radrappy »

Esrever wrote: THAT SAID. I can't help but notice that only 3 of these characters are ladies and they are aaaallll the same colour. (Pastel violet, the new pink.) So, uh, more variety in some ways than others. Some of these designs push outside of Sonic's usual limited design style, but Perci looks pretty much exactly like a "regular female Sonic character". (IE: She looks like Sonic with breasts.) I wonder if that means she will be more prominent than the rest of these buggers.
Well, Sticks is orange/brown so she at least breaks convention in that regard.

The characters look fine, if not extraordinary. The show is looking more and more like Teen Titans Go! with Sonic characters, which ultimately isn't such a bad fate for a floundering property like this.

If only the game looked a bit more promising.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

When I saw Fastidious Beaver I couldn't help but think of Flatulent Fox and Dinner Dog, parodies of the whole Character Descriptor the Animal characters that often inhabit old cartoon shows.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Well, thankfully they went with "fastidious" and not "anal."

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Perci reminds me of Julie-Su.. I like her design.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Yeah, I thought this too. I briefly wondered if SEGA was intentionally trying to piss off good ol' Ken.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:Well, thankfully they went with "fastidious" and not "anal."
They should have named him Harry.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

We have box art.

I wasn't going to say anything snarky but I just noticed that this particular Knuckles, or at least as he appears on the cover, does not have his "spikes" lined up in any way that he could actually punch anyone with them. I guess they're just for show.

Wombatwarlord777

It's kinda weird, after the jovial box arts of Colors, Generations, and Lost World, to see all the heroes grimacing at you.

I like the 3DS box better (it's more action-y, the ghost of Lyric isn't hiding behind labels in the upper-right corner, etc.), but Knuckles's pose is kind of odd. I can't tell if he's about to punch something into the ground or if that's some sort of ridiculous running stride.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Shadow and Metal Sonic!

What's the point of redesigning the main cast if no one else looks different?!?

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Thankfully they decided against wrapping Metal Sonic in electrical tape.

I am pretty stoked to see Metal Sonic, I hope he plays more than a bit part; and cautiously optimistic top see Shadow... Maybe this time somebody will get him right.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Barf.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

Wooduck51 wrote: Maybe this time somebody will get him right.
What would constitute getting him right?

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

So, I am confused, is this still a reboot? If so, how are they are going to work in Metal Sonic & Shadow's back stories. Even if they are starting afresh, they'd still need to set something up, and it's going to be awful tough to re-introduce them and everything else in a single game.

Every time something new of Boom is revealed, it just reinforces the idea that project was quickly cobbled together by the SoA branding team in a misguided attempt to make Sonic relevant. The lack of redesigns for Shadow and Metal Sonic create the impression that they were forced into the game against the wishes of the development team.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

big_smile wrote:The lack of redesigns for Shadow and Metal Sonic create the impression that they were forced into the game against the wishes of the development team.
I can almost guarantee you this is what happened. But in a bizarre twist of fate I think it was SoJ that demanded them in. I'm pretty sure BRB is completely cashed out at this point and are just following orders devoid of passion. The game certainly looks that way.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Every time something new of Boom is revealed, it just reinforces the idea that project was quickly cobbled together by the SoA branding team in a misguided attempt to make Sonic relevant.
This, but:

How anyone can look at Metal Sonic and think he's not redesigned is a mystery to me--he's all stretched out and yet his face seems even more scrunched than usual. The angle shown here hides his sharper edges but it's also possible that they've been removed or beveled out of existence, and while 3D versions have generally drawn more focus to his claw hands, I believe this is the most Krueger-like he's ever been. I do not like it.

Shadow on the other hand appears to be smiling, which is a pretty dramatic change right there. Plus he already has a neck accessory, his arms already match his body color, and his shoes and gloves already had the complexity that the other characters "gain" from tape. In effect, Shadow was probably already the sort of character that this team likes, and the changes they made suit him--I think his new gloves and shoes are really cool.

I bet they're just DLC skins or something like that.

Neo

Post by Neo »

G.Silver wrote:How anyone can look at Metal Sonic and think he's not redesigned is a mystery to me--he's all stretched out and yet his face seems even more scrunched than usual. The angle shown here hides his sharper edges but it's also possible that they've been removed or beveled out of existence, and while 3D versions have generally drawn more focus to his claw hands, I believe this is the most Krueger-like he's ever been. I do not like it.

Shadow on the other hand appears to be smiling, which is a pretty dramatic change right there.
Shadow looks weird because it looks like they traced his head from this Unleashed render:

which would account for why he looks so Sonicky and why he's smiling of all things.

So yeah, like I said. Barf.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

G.Silver wrote: How anyone can look at Metal Sonic and think he's not redesigned is a mystery to me--he's all stretched out and yet his face seems even more scrunched than usual. The angle shown here hides his sharper edges but it's also possible that they've been removed or beveled out of existence, and while 3D versions have generally drawn more focus to his claw hands, I believe this is the most Krueger-like he's ever been. I do not like it.
Well, they have been redesigned but it's not extreme as Sonic & Co. Granted, Sonic & Co's redesign wasn't that extreme, but when that image of their silhouettes popped up, it was instantly obvious that they had a new look.

All the Sonic characters have their proportions fiddled around with every game. The changes to Metal Sonic and Shadow for Boom don't seem that different than the usual fiddling. Compare Metal Sonic in Sonic CD, Sonic Generations and Boom. They all have broadly similar amounts of variation.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Radrappy wrote:
big_smile wrote:The lack of redesigns for Shadow and Metal Sonic create the impression that they were forced into the game against the wishes of the development team.
I can almost guarantee you this is what happened. But in a bizarre twist of fate I think it was SoJ that demanded them in. I'm pretty sure BRB is completely cashed out at this point and are just following orders devoid of passion. The game certainly looks that way.
I don't think BRB had any passion to begin with. They've talked in interviews how early builds didn't look like a Sonic game and they had to go back and make a conscious effort to add things like speed.
That's what really sad about this project - It was a golden opportunity to refine Sonic, but they've just used it as an excuse to realise a dream project that they had lying around and have slapped the Sonic branding on the side. It's just like Sonic 2006, but with vague Disney inspirations taking place of the Final Fantasy-style elements.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Radrappy wrote:
Wooduck51 wrote: Maybe this time somebody will get him right.
What would constitute getting him right?
Batman+Wolverine+James bond. (would suit me just fine)

If I were to expound however; (and this means getting him right post SA2) An extremely loyal and sharp minded fellow who still has a tendency to think of himself as the most radical being in existence, with a bit of his own sense of the theatrical though he'll rarely admit it ( the scene from sonic 2006 where Shadow enters through the ceiling, and eggman asks why he couldn't just use the door, a sadly un-capitalized moment, almost brought that out) but who actually does enjoy saving the world along side Sonic and co., and, if grudgingly, thinks of them as allies if not outright friends. Focused, a good tactician, A bit of a soldier mentality, a touch of Gerald Robotnik in him, fondly remembering his past family, but not shackled by the memories or wallowing in them, and while prone to occasional theatrics does not screw around.
Best example I can think of; If Shadow and Sonic were given the same goal,Shadow would go about it with mostly merciless efficiency, while Sonic, with equal success, would probably have a bit more of a fun time. Kind of the most basic Batman Superman sort of thing.

That or go all out and make him Batman from the Lego movie,

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

GamesTM interviewed Bob Rafei. The interviewer brings up the fan reactions to steroid Knuckles:
http://www.gamestm.co.uk/interviews/son ... kles-meme/

Bob's claims the fan reaction has been "mostly positive".

He actually seems to have mastered the Iizuka style of interview responses as there are quite a few questions which he mostly ignores and instead responds by highlighting selling features of the game.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

So apparently Shadow has been labeled as a 'villain' on Sega's art asset site:
http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/08/sha ... onic-boom/

A bit of a strange move given his smile in the character art.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I think it's supposed to be his arrogant smirk. You never see it in character art, but he does wear it occasionally.
big_smile wrote:how are they are going to work in Metal Sonic & Shadow's back stories. Even if they are starting afresh, they'd still need to set something up, and it's going to be awful tough to re-introduce them and everything else in a single game.
Maybe they're going to be very light on backstory, sort of like the original games. "Sonic is a fast hedgehog with a controlling interest in a sports tape company who fights a bumbling mad scientist with the help of his animal friends." They wouldn't even have to explain that; it could be gleaned from the first few scenes. Two major subordinate villains would be kind of bulky though. Metal could be a very minor character; there have been several robot Sonics over the years so they can get away with making him a cheap cameo boss or something. Shadow is a little more demanding. His evil twin design may destine him for a role like Megaman's Bass, a recurring sub-boss primarily interested in proving he's better than Sonic, or maybe he'll play the anti-hero again and help out during the final act. Either way, as long as they're sparse on the details they can pull it off. But I agree that this feels like something they tacked on in the middle of development.

Wombatwarlord777

I'm really indifferent to the two popping up in Sonic Boom, but if I had to take a position, I'd say I'm disappointed.

Honestly, Metal Sonic in this universe makes no sense. He's always been one of the more sinister-looking robots created by Doctor Eggman, but in this universe, the good doctor is supposed to be the equivalent of a doddering old mad scientist, hiding behind the ostentatious military garb he wears. The whole point behind the character of Lyric is that he's supposed to be the deadly serious one. Arguably, the same dissonance exists with today's Doctor Eggman in the main franchise, but at the very least he has a tendency for being a fairly serious foe in the earlier games before the plots devolved into wacky sparing matches between him and Sonic, so at least Metal Sonic has an in-universe historical precedent. Honestly, something more like Burnbot is just outlandish enough that it'd fit with Sonic Boom as a reoccurring robotic foe created by Eggman much, much better.

I don't mind adding Shadow back into this universe, but at least make him distinct so he doesn't stick out so badly. I've seen fanart that parallels him pretty damned well with Lanky-Legged Sonic, and it's not like he'd be utterly unrecognizable if you added a new feature or two to his design. Same thing goes for his backstory, if there is any for him; you've got to make it fit in with this universe. He's not the Ultimate Lifeform here, he's a nomadic wanderer who keeps to himself and he and Sonic have had some beef in the past for some reason. Boom, there's enough mystery to make discovering details about his backstory compelling. At the very least, it ought to be easy to distinguish him from the mainstream Shadow. Hell, make it an entirely new character based on Shadow, the same way that Sticks is an entirely new character based on Marine.

But yeah, it's really disappointing that they just lifted their designs and are apparently throwing them into this game. One of the compelling aspects of this Sonic Boom offshoot is that it allows for new and exciting character interpretations (both in their designs and personalities) and story elements, none of which are conveyed with today's reveal.

Wombatwarlord777

Just one more thing about backstory for these characters: The developers shouldn't feel obligated to try and explain it all in one game. Making Shadow's history more ambiguous than not in the two upcoming Sonic Boom games could be a good way to generate story ideas for future titles. You can resolve all the loose ends related to Lyric and still have enough open material to meaningfully link the upcoming games with future ones without blaringly-obvious sequel hooks.

Dash

Post by Dash »

Shadow looks like he got air pump tops for his shoes (and gloves...), and they sanded all the cool right off of Metal. Clearly though, Shads lacks the tape bandages, so he's not part of any team.That smile and generally heroic looking pose could mean that they aren't going for dandy arrogance in this portrayal, and maybe he's just more of a showoff I-work-solo punk. I can already see how they might use that to draw parallels to Sonic's standoffish behavior when it comes to teamwork( "Jerk! Who does that Shadow think he is?" "Speaking of acting like you're better than everyone..." "Hey, I am nothing like him!" "Dunno Sonic, you act like you'd rather work on your own sometimes!" ) and ultimately show that Sonic needs and wants the support of his friends/team. Or they might have Sonic deliver some one liners about brooding angst at Shadow's expense and call it a day. Considering the writer here, that's probably what is going to happen.

I know BigRedButton used Mega Man Legends as a reference for how Sonic has the flexibility for different universes, but it's tough to see a world where people will get excited for those versions like how they get excited for the multiple Mega Men. There just doesn't seem to be any conviction here, probably because this is just a licensed game for a game-licensed TV show.