SONIC HYDRO THUNDER

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

SONIC HYDRO THUNDER

Post by Radrappy »

http://www.vgleaks.com/new-sonic-game-i ... e-thunder/

a new rumor has emerged regarding a multiplatform sonic game. I spat my drink out when I read some of these fan fic worthy details. Slash the Echidna? Teenage clones? Yes fucking please!

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Re: SONIC HYDRO THUNDER

Post by G.Silver »

Yeah, that Sonic guy's ok for GRANDPAS, I can't wait to play Teenage the Hedgehog!

How old are Sonic and Knuckles supposed to be if their clones are "teenagers?"

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Sonichu confirmed????

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

It'll all be worth it for Eggman Jr. Trust me.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Maybe the CG show will be about the Loonatics Unleashed versions?

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Yeah what the hell's with that "teenage clones" thing? I actually almost don't want this to be obviously fake.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

This is lame enough to almost be real!

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I'm disappointed to see that VGLeaks doesn't consist entirely of this sort of rumor, I was expecting a fanfic.net-like repository of user-submitted madness. Everything else on their website seems sort of legit or at least isn't completely insane. Why didn't this trigger their BS detector?

Malchik

Post by Malchik »

G.Silver wrote:Why didn't this trigger their BS detector?
Because we've had many past Sonic games sound this stupid on paper. The Secret Ring, Werehog and Bestiality 2006 come to mind.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Wait, Secret Rings was bad now? I can't keep up with all these retcons.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

The one and only time I played Secret Rings I spent around 30 minutes trying to get the homing attack to work, until ultimately giving up.

Malchik

Post by Malchik »

Neo wrote:Wait, Secret Rings was bad now? I can't keep up with all these retcons.
I'm referring to how absurd the concept of it is when you actually try and explain it. I mean, Sonic has an enchanted ring and it place in a pre-Islamic Arabic setting.

It's like a Sonic/Aladdin/Lord of the Rings fan-fiction to life.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It's kind of sad that the most implausible sounding parts are "playable Silver" and "the Chao garden returns", but I think it'll be a cold day in hell before we see either of those things in a regular Sonic title again.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Neo wrote:Wait, Secret Rings was bad now? I can't keep up with all these retcons.
They all suck, all of em.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Malchik wrote:
I'm referring to how absurd the concept of it is when you actually try and explain it. I mean, Sonic has an enchanted ring and it place in a pre-Islamic Arabic setting.

It's like a Sonic/Aladdin/Lord of the Rings fan-fiction to life.
But that's what I mean too. You have to be in the right state of mind to withstand the shit controls (They get better later! Literally, you have to buy the good control schemes.) but I thought the story and setting were some of the best in a long while. Sonic is out of his universe but he's still Sonic, the worlds are way more inspired than just grass level, fire level, ice level, etc. and the supporting cast playing the role of random Arabian characters was a nice touch, especially Eggman, who had already proven the validity of the concept in Sonic Shuffle's mini events.

I mean, if you're going to complain about bad storylines, then there's far better (worse?) examples. Shadow the Hedgehog was pretty terrible, and the Riders series feels like a parody of Speed Racer or something. Then there was Generations, which was just embarassing:

"There's a monster that eats time."
"But wait, didn't we already do a story about erasing events from time?"
"... No." (sinister, crooked-teeth grin)

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

It was an embarrassing mistake, of course, which taught me a sore lesson about never being publically optimistic about anything ever again, but I thought Sonic 2006 looked good when it was first announced for that reason. I sort of liked the art direction and I liked how it looked like a luscious nextgen Sonic Adventure which is what Sonic Heroes fundamentally failed to be from the very first screenshot. Then the footage of Shadow driving a truck came out and it was all over.

I specifically remember those first Sonic Heroes screenshots, you know. I remember seeing Tails carrying Sonic and Knuckles and thinking: what the fuck? It all looked so bland and garish and weird. And I also remember everyone else on the forum thinking it looked cool. And yet no lessons about being publically optmistic were learnt.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

The other thing that I supposed seduced me about Sonic 2006 initially was that it looked like an attempt to make a slightly more "mature" Sonic. I shudder to type that, especially because the reality of that statement meant shit like the hideous human girl kiss or whatever the fuck that was, but at the time it meant a distancing from the gross cartoonishness of Sonic Heroes.

I'm not opposed to Sonic being cartoonish, by the way, and actually I think that new Sonic game looks very pretty, but Sonic Heroes was gross. Gross.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

'06 unnerved me almost right from the beginning, but I think I am just personally predisposed to prefer Sonic in more stylized and less realistic settings. That's probably why Heroes' look initially made me excited, even though in retrospect it was executed terribly.

I think '06 and Heroes kind of conveniently demarcate the "too far" point on either end of both the aesthetic and dramatic tone spectrum. '06 is an overwrought angst fest through a string of boring environments, and Heroes has the look and complexity of a preschool special. It's kind of astonishing, in retrospect, that one basically followed the other. Makes the difference between Sunshine and Galaxy look like virtually nothing.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Seems to me, everything about Sonic sucks.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

I've gained a new fondness for 06. I still think the game is awful, but I really like the desert level. The Princesses' power gimmick that lets Sonic walk on quicksand means you can actual explore the level without fear of dying and the stage does a good job of hiding alternative routes which are genuinely satisfying to uncover. It recalls the experience of playing Sonic 3 (albeit too briefly), which is something very few 3D Sonic games have managed to achieve.

I am also fond of the story. Like the gameplay, it is terrible, but the characters are depicted perfectly (with the exception of Knuckles who has been broken since SA2). There's several great character moments, which is probably something that we won't get to see again, now that they have gone for the generic cartoon stereotype route with Sonic Colours.

Regarding Secret Rings: Was it ever considered good? Like Neo, I liked the settings and the levels were very pretty. However, the whole thing feels like it was designed by the marketing department. The automatic movement of Sonic was billed as a return to speed, but all what it does is demonstrate that most modern Sonic titles are not interactive games but memory tests. Likewise, the fact that Sonic was the only playable character was promoted as a big feature. But then they went and gave him the abilities of the other characters and so completely missed the point.

The story was also quite weak. There isn't actually a story as such: Much like Colours, Sonic simply bugles through the levels until he abruptly reaches the end. I think its also actually the first time Sonic actually kills a living creature, which I felt was a big blow to his character.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

big_smile wrote:I've gained a new fondness for 06. I still think the game is awful, but I really like the desert level. The Princesses' power gimmick that lets Sonic walk on quicksand means you can actual explore the level without fear of dying and the stage does a good job of hiding alternative routes which are genuinely satisfying to uncover. It recalls the experience of playing Sonic 3 (albeit too briefly), which is something very few 3D Sonic games have managed to achieve.

I am also fond of the story. Like the gameplay, it is terrible, but the characters are depicted perfectly (with the exception of Knuckles who has been broken since SA2). There's several great character moments, which is probably something that we won't get to see again, now that they have gone for the generic cartoon stereotype route with Sonic Colours.
I'm pretty sure we need to kill you now.

Malchik

Post by Malchik »

Yes. Kill.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

big_smile wrote:I've gained a new fondness for 06. I still think the game is awful, but I really like the desert level. The Princesses' power gimmick that lets Sonic walk on quicksand means you can actual explore the level without fear of dying and the stage does a good job of hiding alternative routes which are genuinely satisfying to uncover. It recalls the experience of playing Sonic 3 (albeit too briefly), which is something very few 3D Sonic games have managed to achieve.

If I may rise from the special zone for a moment to second this statement; I find myself often thinking that with a just a few less abhorrent decisions, and some more (much more) polish, that 06 might have been actually quite swell? While time blurs the pains of old wounds, I can't help but think of some of the times I quite enjoyed a few bits of it, the moments when Silver's telekinesis worked correctly, for me particularly a proper (if still broken) moves set for Shadow, and any of the times Sonic's levels allowed for the rush and beauty they were so desperately grasping for to actually occur. It was....just almost there; and Eggman, weird legs not withstanding, looked rad.

But hey, a new game featuring Knuckles' top hat wearing guitar playing clone leaves me quivering with excitment.

(Well, maybe I shouldn't be so harsh; a young echidna sets out to make a name for himself, gathering a ragtag group of friends.... I will wait with cautious optimism, maybe there will be guitar hero-esque mini games.)

Sarcastices would be a helpful thing on the internet.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

'06 was an ambitious game, and extra time, effort, money, and skill may have made it nicer to look at and fun to play.

But nothing, nothing could have saved that story. The problems do not stop at the execution... it is, down to it's very core, the absolute worst kind of indefensible excruciating self-important brain-dead angst-ridden pseudo-mature nonsensical fanfic-written-by-a-12-year-old-who-claims-to-be-a-16-year-old anime-bullshit imaginable.

(If you're curious what that would have looked like with great production values and acting, allow me to direct you to the Kingdom Hearts franchise!)

Malchik

Post by Malchik »

Esrever wrote:it is, down to it's very core, the absolute worst kind of indefensible excruciating self-important brain-dead angst-ridden pseudo-mature nonsensical fanfic-written-by-a-12-year-old-who-claims-to-be-a-16-year-old anime-bullshit imaginable.
I think Sonic Team emulated the Final Fantasy formula quite well, actually.