Sonic Lost World - Nintendo Exclusive

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Re: Sonic Lost World - Nintendo Exclusive

Post by Radrappy »

FlashTHD wrote: Egg Dragoon isn't particularly hard, it's just pointlessly drawn out with that old "you can't hurt me until I leave my glowing green crotch in your reach" routine. But it wouldn't be a Werehog level if it didn't take forever, amirite?
I actually. . . really liked this boss fight. The objectives were clear and the enemies attacks were well telegraphed. The music was wonderful too. The fight was absolutely butchered in Generations, even if it didn't involve a werehog.

Dash

Post by Dash »

I agree! Egg Dragoon was probably my favorite boss fight in the game. It had some good character dialogue too, making the Sonic Heroes-started "everybody chatters all day every day" deal work for it with Eggman's contempt for Sonic shining through. Generations' rendition was awful. It was like the whole team went out to lunch on those last couple bosses, for crying out loud. It wasn't enough to kill what the game got right, but what a sour taste to leave in your mouth when finishing an otherwise solid product.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

Dash wrote:I agree! Egg Dragoon was probably my favorite boss fight in the game. It had some good character dialogue too, making the Sonic Heroes-started "everybody chatters all day every day" deal work for it with Eggman's contempt for Sonic shining through. Generations' rendition was awful. It was like the whole team went out to lunch on those last couple bosses, for crying out loud. It wasn't enough to kill what the game got right, but what a sour taste to leave in your mouth when finishing an otherwise solid product.
Amen brother. Having sonic's movements restricted to quickstepping in that giant corridor is a decision that still leaves me scratching my head.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

rejoice. the drill is back.

Neo

Post by Neo »

I saw that yesterday, and my first thought was that it's kind of sad that they traced over the Sonic 2 slot machine icons. Oh well, whatever it takes for them not to look like dogshit, I guess.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Looks nice! Last time we got anything like this was Bingo Whatthefuck, whatever that one was in Heroes, right? Or were there two? I forget.

Anyway, looks nice!

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

My favorite things so far are those giant, undulating worms in the new desert area and the rail gators in the jungle. The classic content is great and all, but some of the new stuff they've introduced is charmingly bizarre.

Also CRIMSON EAGLE! looks like a lot more fun to tool around with than GREEN HOVER!

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

So the game is getting an E10+ rating, probably due to some interesting dialogue.
ESRB wrote:During gameplay, characters sometimes use aggressive language (e.g., “You're going home in a box,” 'I'm going to skin you alive,' and 'I long for death's cold embrace.'). Cutscenes also depict laser fire and explosions, as well as dialogue that references violence (e.g., “I'll get fat from eating your black hearts,” “One second you're contemplating genocide,” and “As long as I can still strangle a Zeti, my hands are fine.”).

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I hope "You're going home in a box" is something Sonic says.

I also hope he says "I'll get fat from eating your black hearts," but it seems unlikely.

Forza Johnman

Post by Forza Johnman »

ESRB wrote: 'I long for death's cold embrace.'
Oh cool, A Shadow cameo.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

I dunno, I don't want to justify anything, but I'm getting a hammy pro wrestling vibe from these quotes rather than an attempt to re-edgify the franchise.

I guess we'll hear 'em from the horses' mouths soon enough.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

Hey guys, I went to the event this weekend and spent a lot of time playing both the WIIU and 3DS versions of the game. It's shaping up nicely and depending on how much they tighten it come october(knowing our guys, not at all) it could be a quality title.

It also looks like a Sonic movie might be fast approaching. It was hinted at by Webber and Iizuka during the Q&A and I heard a crazy rumor the other day from a friend who works at a major studio that Sega actually pitched a Sonic film to them very recently. It could all be nonsense but the prospect of something like this actually coming to pass is fascinating. To all my fellow GHZ artists, is this something that we should make an effort to work on if it is in fact happening? Or would that just be a serious case of running the asylum?

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

To all my fellow GHZ artists, is this something that we should make an effort to work on if it is in fact happening? Or would that just be a serious case of running the asylum?
Better to run the asylum than to be locked up in it!

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Kinda funny, but ugly as hell. Then again, that font isn't exactly pretty in the first place.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

We're bitching about fonts now?

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

It'd actually be super cute, I think, if it were animated, and the S shoved itself in there and pushed the other letters aside.

Do we know if the level was "spelled" like that before? It seemed like all the coverage of it was spelling it "Desert," and there was a little confusion over it, like people weren't certain how intentional the joke was. I can't help wondering if this is meant to be a fix or if it was there all along.

Obviously it's nothing like the stylish level intro designs of the old games, but the font looks fine to me. But I'm not really a font guy, either.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Seeing as they are going for a cartoonish aesthetic, the font fits perfectly. It seems like something straight from a Saturday morning cartoon.

--
The classic robots in the cut-scene was neat. It was like getting my childhood dreams of proper Sonic cartoon finally fulfilled.
I am pleased that Sonic's the one responsible for the deadly six turning against Eggman as usually when his schemes back-fire it is because of his own doing.
I am disappointed that Tails has become so helpless and that Cubot and Orbot have returned.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

I think it's because that font is so traditionally cartoony that I dislike it. It's like sort of thing execs want printed on the back of every cereal box that's not Oat Bran(tm), 'cause hey it's for kids!

Man, remember when Batman and Sonic used this? That shit was cuh-lass.

anyways, that splash screen (that's the right term, right?) is so Spartan. Where's the primary colored, crinkle-cut boarders?
Rob-Bert wrote:We're bitching about fonts now?
Hey, welcome to the internet!

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I don't mind the font, mostly because it looks an AWFUL LOT like a new, official version of the font used in nearly every Sonic logo ever created, ever. (compare stuff like the "s", "o", and "3")

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Context, though! The logo did cross my mind, and it's perfect for that sort of thing -- something that catches the eye and for the viewer to linger on. But for something that's supposed to show up and inform in a few seconds or so (e.g., Zone transition screen), it's kind of a busy mess.

Sorry, for nerding up the forum, BTW.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5uNXffV ... r_embedded

Elemental Shield(s) are back? Maybe?

Anyway, that's the most Xtreme-esque music I've heard yet. (kinda got a Circuit Centerfold feel)

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

I really like how the two new areas revealed in that trailer resemble Aquarium Park and the metallic bits of Planet Wisp. Man, this game is incredibly pretty.

Also, is there a new Wisp reveal in there? That black wrecking ball thing looks different from the Gray Quake. I'm guessing its console exclusive.