Mo' hardware, mo' problems

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Crisis

Re: Mo' hardware, mo' problems

Post by Crisis »

I guess it's a bit creepy, but what exactly are criminals going to do with your reaction rates or emotional states? That data will presumably be anonymised and it's not particularly sensitive to begin with. Google routinely collects personal data in a much more suspect (and comprehensive) manner. Not that either should be ignored.

I'm curious to see what Microsoft does with the data. The emotional state analysis would allow for biofeedback, which would be another step down the road to augmented/virtual reality.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Did you catch this? It's a slightly bigger problem than reaction rates or emotional states being monitored. Valve is conducting biofeedback input experiments too, but as far as we know they aren't considering throwing in with overprotective copyright holders.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

I'm not losing any sleep over it. From a privacy perspective, it's just an extrapolation of the existing Kinect capabilities, and the same facial recognition technology exists in practically every smartphone. The DRM seems a little draconian, but then again this is just a patent and not a confirmed feature. Companies file dumb patents constantly with no intention of following through.

Also, Valve has always worked with overprotective copyright holders. People have been able to overlook it because they offer better deals and services than the alternatives, but it's entirely possible that Microsoft plans to do something similar.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

The details of the DRM are out, and they're about as bad as we could have expected. Game publishers will have control over if and how you sell/trade your games on Xbox.

It's nice to see that there's a bit of pushback on this. I doubt it will come to much; people have been putting up with similar measures on Steam, iOS, etc, for a while now. But maybe this backlash will lead to improvements, both for Xbox and its competition.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Xbox One launch price is $499. A friend and I were joking that Sony might do $599 again the other day, but with Xbox going that high, what's another hundred bucks? I'm really curious what they'll do now.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I really don't think $500 is that bad these days. Inflation can be taken into account - it's been 7 years since the price of the PS3 was announced. $499 is $432 in 2006 money. But I also just expect hardware to cost more these days. Maybe not being a college kid without a job anymore has a lot to do with it, but the price doesn't bother me.

Nintendo is taking their basic Wii U off the market - leaving only the higher priced one and I would guess they'll announce that's going to $300. Sony could go any way with the PS4, but it'll likely be $400, since they don't have to account for the cost of a Kinect with every system.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

MS also reminded us that Crimson Dragon (from the Panzer Dragoon producer) still existed... by showing the trailer without any audio, nonchalantly moving on as if that didn't just happen, and then having the same thing happen to Battlefield 4's presentation followed by 30 awkward seconds of trying to sort their shit out. Sony will be hard-pressed to out-humiliate this.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Man sony absolutely obliterated microsoft. I wasn't going to get a ps4 for a few years but at 399 I may just bite earlier.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Just obliterated? I'd call it reducing the Xbone and Microsoft to a fine dust in the wind. When they spelled out their used game stance (with bullet points!) they had the audience in fucking rapture!

And then they posted this clip just to be extra mean.

I'm extremely impressed. Sony's marketing guys got their act together and how. I'm still indifferent to PS4, but they almost sold me on the thing.
Last edited by FlashTHD on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Between that trailer, Sony hardcore trolling Microsoft, and the fact that we're getting our first ever look at Smash Bros. 4 tomorrow, I can safely say that this is already the BEST E3 in several years.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Wow, Sony came out guns blazing. I'm sold. Eat shit, Microsoft.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

FlashTHD wrote: And then they posted this clip just to be extra mean.
Sony does! You can't do this on Xbone!

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Well played, Sony.

Microsoft has its work cut out trying to persuade us that things like a persistant online connection and cloud-based game licensing are things that we ought to desire rather than fear. We know it can be done - it's been done before. Microsoft could still salvage things through great developer partnerships and exclusive titles, discounted software, pushing Kinect features, having your console talk to your PC/phone/tablet, etc. But for now they are firmly on the defensive and Sony is being pretty merciless in piling on the pressure.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Hey. Hey guys.

Remember how everyone jizzed themselves when Sonic was announced for Brawl?

Neo

Post by Neo »

The crowning moment of awesome here is that even Nintendo cares more about Mega Man than Capcom does. The music! The sound effects! The animations based on his NES poses! You can taste the love!

Also, AC villager with Balloon Fight moves! People had always been clamoring for both playable villager and balloon guy, but they're kind of shallow, so this mix is more than welcome.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I was quite surprised by the Mega Man reveal just because of how faithful it was to classic Mega Man. It seems Nintendo manage to pay homage to the original games better than Capcom can.

Was anyone else a bit disappointed with Super Mario 3D World? It's not that it looks bad but it just seems like an multiplayer upgrade of the formula used in Mario 3D Land when I'd expect a major new 3D home console Mario game to be a bit more unique. Of course I'm basing all this off a 1 minute trailer which is a bit unfair.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

A) Super Mario 3D Land was bitchin' and 2) Multiplayer in a 3D Mario game (that isn't a separate battle mode) is kind of a big deal. Come to think of it, playable Peach and the return of the abilities from SMB2 are kind of a big deal as well depending on one's perspective.

Also Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

I wish I watched the video before coming here ( I thought this was a XBocks thread :()

Still, holy fucking shit! I was expecting Rockman since the third party embargo was lifted (I mean, seriously, he wasn't just born on a Nintendo system; more than a few of his games WERE KILLER APPS FOR ITS FIRST MAJOR SYSTEM; He's THE third party character), but I was half-expecting X, Trigger, or -- gag -- .Exe (actually a "Greatest Five"-esque Final Smash would be most welcome). And here's hoping that Blues, and not Forte, is the assist trophy.

I knew there was some reason I was whistling Crash Man's theme this morning. :lol:

please please please reconfirm Sonic

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Pfft, who cares about Mega Man? Wii Fit Trainer confirmed.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Neo wrote:The crowning moment of awesome here is that even Nintendo cares more about Mega Man than Capcom does.
Gaz wrote:It seems Nintendo manage to pay homage to the original games better than Capcom can.
ditto Viewtiful Joe The Wonderful 101.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

The Wii Fit Trainer making it in is hilariously awesome. I can only imagine how annoyed people hoping for characters like Ripley or Geno or whoever must be. Mega Man and Villager are looking great too.

Also in terms of games featuring convoluted plots and angsty prettyboys wearing garish outfits goes, I'm looking forward more to Final Fantasy XV than Kingdom Hearts 3. I even told a friend a few months ago that if Versus XIII was still coming out it would probably just turn into XV at this point.

Speaking of games long in development though, it's looks like The Last Guardian has unfortunately become vaporware.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Gaz wrote:I was quite surprised by the Mega Man reveal just because of how faithful it was to classic Mega Man. It seems Nintendo manage to pay homage to the original games better than Capcom can.
He can duck! Is... Is that ok?!

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I think it's interesting that Nintendo didn't unveil a single game at e3 that wasn't multiplayer.

I worry a little that the multiplayer focus of 3D World will limit the level design, but EAD has made three great Mario games in a row and I pretty much trust them implicitly at this point. I don't think, as some people are guessing, that this is some sort of smaller "stop gap" 3D Mario game that won't have the quantity of content that the Galaxy games did. But I guess we'll see when the thing actually comes out.

Like the earlier days of the 3DS, you can definitely see the spectrum of increasing development scope right in the release schedule -- just looking at what is out or announced, you start with the minigame collections and the ported-up Pikmin, then a Zelda remake and two sequels that build really directly on existing game engines, then Mario Kart, then Smash Bros. and Bayonetta 2, then the next new Zelda and whatever the other team at Retro is doing. I wonder if it will work out, or if it won't be enough fast enough to rescue the Wii U from sales oblivion. Nintendo is a slow developer and they are obviously stretched a little thin now that the demands of handheld game development have grown so much.

Of course, for someone like me who primarily likes platform games, the Wii U fall line-up of 3D World, DKCR2, Lost World and the non-emaciated version of Rayman Legends is the kind of magical gaming future I'd always hoped for. But I know I'm not exactly representative of the gaming public at large.