Sonic Lost World - Nintendo Exclusive

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Re: Sonic Lost World - Nintendo Exclusive

Post by Radrappy »

someone was kind enough to upload the trailer in high rez! Say goodbye to that ugly compression!

https://mega.co.nz/#!489yST4Q!YRDQghjJ0 ... 28OronglMo

looking good and crisp. Can't wait for gameplay, that's when we'll actually know what we're dealing with here.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Crazy Penguin wrote:
Dr. Eggman has harnessed the power of six menacing creatures collectively known as the Deadly Six, but when the Deadly Six rise up against their master, Sonic has to unite with his arch nemesis in order to take on the new enemies head-on.
GRROOOOOOOOOAAAAN

Remember when Eggman used to be a competent villain? Weren't those the days!

Dash

Post by Dash »

Yeah, I would have rather Eggman been kind of a side mention here and not the "main villain" if these 6 are to be featured so prominently. No reason he has to be the main villain in every game right?

Anyway, this looks pretty cool! I've thought for a while that Sonic could use a parkour/trick system to do things like the SA2 acrobatics and take them off of autopilot. I remember suggesting it once in some hypothetical game ideas thread on here sometime back, but people weren't so hot on it... guess we'll get to see if it works! Run button stuff sounds funky, but allowing for some kind of control over the speed is certainly a push in the right direction. I do hope physics are still important to the speed. Exploring the abandoned Sonic Xtreme ideas could be fun! Maybe they'll even include a Fang the Sniper boss ;)

This still isn't quite the Sonic Adventure 3 kind of thing with top notch physics that I have dreamed of, but there a lot of things to like about it. The art direction is exploring the crazy geometric designs of the older games and the proper animal friends are back. Nuts, its pretty reminiscent of Super Mario Land 3D. If it can find some sort of happy medium where it can have the charm of older games as well as the more wild ideas of post-Adventure(too bad there's no wacky Uekawa art here! CG renders get pretty dull) I think we'll have something pretty cool.

Also box art!

Just look how happy it is! That's some cheerful stuff right there.

b_boult

Post by b_boult »

Thank you Sega. Thank you for forcing me to buy the Wii U that I never wanted!

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Dash wrote:Exploring the abandoned Sonic Xtreme ideas could be fun! Maybe they'll even include a Fang the Sniper boss ;)
He'd be a great match for the style that the game seems to be going for. Heck, his character design is almost a perfect happy medium between that of Sonic and the wackier Deadly Six.

Myself, I hope they manage to sneak in Space Queens somewhere. I'm not sure SEGA has the rights to it like so many other things Sonic-related, but it'd be a neat shout-out.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... cJtnqFt7U0

Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Rocky confirmed. Boost is now masquerading as the spin attack. Yay?

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Neo wrote:Remember when Eggman used to be a competent villain?
Yes. Yes I do remember 1994.

Nearly two decades ago.

Jesus tap-dancing Christ.

EDIT: Why the fuck hasn't this been moved to News yet?

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Do people really want news posts in news? I was going to move it, but thought it would be more convenient to have everything in one forum (as the forum as a whole doesn't have the number of new posts that it did in its glory days, so sectioning is less important).

---

I really hope Eggman doesn't have any wise-cracking sidekicks. These days, the sidekicks just seem to be there so Eggman can explain his plans to the audience without appearing to talking to himself. However, he managed to do this without sidekicks for nearly 15 years, so I don't know why they have to start using them now.

G.Silver wrote:
And they don't speak English anymore?
Did they ever?
They spoke in this spin-offs (Sonic's Gameworld and Sonic 3D Blast), but I guess they don't count. I think its amazing that the series has managed to make it 21 years without confirming if Sonic's friends can actually talk.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

To be fair, at least now the betrayal is gotten out of the way at the beginning of the game rather than at the end.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I like the idea of the Deadly Six turning around and betraying Eggman at the beginning because it means Eggman can turn around and betray Sonic at the end. Has there ever actually been a game where Sonic and Eggman have to "work together" the whole way through? I always kind of liked that trope.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I have to admit I really like that too. "Friendly Eggman" (the one that they chat with calmly after he points a gun at Amy and then ejects Sonic into space) is a pretty good guy. It would be disappointing to not have any sort of Eggman bosses through the game though.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I liked the whole schtick they used in Colours where Eggman was pretending to be good but, like, obviously not trying very hard. I just think it plays to the strengths of his voice actor. I'd like to see the kind of cutscenes those writers would write for an Eggman who is "working" with Sonic and "helping" him. I just think it could be really funny.

I know some folks really want to see Eggman played straight as a major, serious villain, but I don't know... I never really saw him that way. I mean, right from the start he was a big round guy who put animals in robot bugs and built big ships shaped like his face. I think the reason he felt lame and impotent in the Adventure games is because they tried to play him too seriously... all he had going for him as a character were his big master plans, so when they inevitably failed and he was betrayed, it just made him look especially dumb and ineffectual. But with the goofier bumbling mad scientist take they are using these days, I think they can have those sillier over-cocky or absent-minded mistakes without undermining the menace of the stuff he actually builds.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Esrever wrote:I know some folks really want to see Eggman played straight as a major, serious villain, but I don't know... I never really saw him that way. I mean, right from the start he was a big round guy who put animals in robot bugs and built big ships shaped like his face.
I'm not saying Eggman has to be Darth Vader, but I'd like a plot where the animals he puts in robot bugs don't eventually break out, invoke the power of Agathea the Fire God and destroy the universe, requiring Sonic and Ornith the Hedgehog to turn into Super Sonic and Hyper (for some reason) Ornith and save both Eggman and the world. You know. Have Eggman actually succeed up until the point where Sonic defeats him. Like the hero-villain mechanic usually works.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

Neo wrote:You know. Have Eggman actually succeed up until the point where Sonic defeats him. Like the hero-villain mechanic usually works.
So, Generations. Got it.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

And Colors.

And Unleashed, actually.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I agree 100%, Neo... the games with stories like that are my least favourite. I really hope that, with the new writers, we've seen the last of the "resurrected ancient god or bio-engineered super creature that can't be controlled" plot. (Although I enjoyed it OK the first time around with Chaos, when it was still a new deal.) But I think they've moved away from that now. One of the things I liked most about Colours and Generations is that they made Eggman the ultimate villain/final boss again.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Most entries in the Sonic series have had weak/repetitive finales. The final bosses are usually lesser rehashes of Sonic 2's giant Eggman robot, Doomsday Zone or Perfect Chaos. They were all excellent the first time, but not the second, let alone fifth time around.

I thought Sonic Colours' final boss was great, not only did it feature Eggman in one of his machines, but by turning souped-up versions of every Wisp's power against you it was also a culmination of the theme of the game. It wasn't a Sonic CD or Sonic 3D thing of "well, here's just another boss". Naturally, Dimps and co screwed that up with the addition of an extra final boss in the DS version.

I fully expect Eggman to be the final boss of Lost World. It'd be nice if the Deadly Six don't become good guys at the end as well, but that might be asking too much.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Locit wrote:So, Generations.
Rob-Bert wrote:And Colors.

And Unleashed, actually.
I'll give you Colors, but what are Dark Gaia and Time Eater if not Agathean Fire Gods?

Maybe I wasn't clear. I want plots where Eggman is competent and is able to succeed by himself. Without the help of a supernatural creature which might or might not betray him at some point in the game.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

I thought King Porky from Mother 3 was kind of the closest to the kind of villain that I imagined 1-&K to be -- so self absorbed and un-self-aware that he probably doesn't even realize, in most cases, his machinations are destroying lives -- a textbook sociopath. Their Potempkin empires aren't just power-trips; they're clearly incapable of sustaining any sort of population. They both also leisurely pilot dangerous machines and do messed-up shit with fauna so there might be a common source of inspiration...

Anyway, that while that kind of personality does lend itself to "putting Cthulu on a leash, repeatedly", it has run its course. Manchild loon with inexhaustible resources in itself should be enough impetus for Hero Time.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

Crazy Penguin wrote:Most entries in the Sonic series have had weak/repetitive finales.
Hell I'd say the final boss of Sonic 1 was kind of underwhelming. It's obvious they realize the high-water mark is S3&K, since they've been trying to re-purpose that Super Sonic mechanic in 3D for a decade now with little or no success.
Neo wrote:I'll give you Colors, but what are Dark Gaia and Time Eater if not Agathean Fire Gods?
Time Eater was a time power-machine hybrid designed by Eggman to erase Sonic's past, and he was in complete control of it the whole time*. Hell they even subverted the exact trope you're going on about by making it seem like a dumb supernatural power/god/thing run amok that takes out Eggman until hey, turns out it was TWO Eggmans, and they're the ones you fight during the final boss.

Granted that final boss was complete shit, but it was still Eggman(s). Dark Gaia was definitely another in a long line of dumb Chaos rehashes, though.

*Christ almighty I am 26 years old.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I also don't recall Eggman ever actually taking control of or teaming up with Dark Gaia at any point during Unleashed. All I remember is him building Eggmanland. If I'm wrong, somebody refresh my memory.

I remember somebody on here (I forget who) once suggested that a good way to subvert the Really Big Super Sonic Fight At The End™ was to have Sonic start the battle in super mode and then lose it and have to finish the fight as regular old Sonic. Fighting against Perfect Chaos in Generations was kinda similar to this, and it was my favorite boss battle in the whole game.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

Rob-Bert wrote:I remember somebody on here (I forget who) once suggested that a good way to subvert the Really Big Super Sonic Fight At The End™ was to have Sonic start the battle in super mode and then lose it and have to finish the fight as regular old Sonic.
Yeah, this is why the pre-werehog part of the intro to Unleashed is pure gold. They start the story at the beginning of what looks like an S3&K endgame scenario, with both Sonic and Eggman Sonic-ing and Eggman-ing it up, respectively, until Sonic gets zapped. Then the bullshit starts almost immediately after Sonic is de-powered, but man, those first three minutes are great!

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

...I didn't hate the Werehog. Yes having a beat-em-up there was terribly out of place, but the whole idea of the Werehog as a character didn't bother me at all. Probably would've been better as a standalone game (after all, the original title is "Sonic World Adventure), but then again....so would every other forced extra gameplay they've ever thrown at us (shooting, hunting, fishing, gravity puzzles, etc.)

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

I'd kinda like it if, after defeating all the Deadly Six, it was revealed they (somehow) were actually good guys all along and Eggman fooled Sonic into taking them down, just like he did with Knuckles before. Then everyone teams up to defeat Eggman and stuff.

And lol sorry Jingles.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Rob-Bert wrote:...I didn't hate the Werehog.
I'll take 5 more werehogs if it means I never have to see Shadow holding a photorealistic hand gun again.