Electronic Entertainment Exhibition, feat. Usher & Flo Rida

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Crisis

Electronic Entertainment Exhibition, feat. Usher & Flo Rida

Post by Crisis »

It's that time of year again!

Microsoft

- Internet Explorer is coming to Xbox! This makes Microsoft's console the last one to get a web browser. You can even stream it to your tablet, in case you thought the one thing missing from your iPad was Internet Explorer.

- New SmartGlass streaming technology! You can play content from your Xbox via your tablet and use it as a controller. What an original concept!

- Xbox music! In case you wanted to pay for all your music yet again. Zune?? What's that??

Sony

- Sony still exists.

EA

- New Sim City oh my god

Ubisoft

- Beyond Good and what?

Nintendo

Before their press conference Nintendo announced this abortion of a controller:

The Wii U Pro Controller, for gaming professionals.

Why is the primary right hand input a control stick? Why are both sticks identical? Why do you have to strain your thumb to reach the buttons? Why is the y button on the x axis? Why is the x button on the y axis? Why did Nintendo decide to combine the worst parts of the Xbox 360 and PS3 controllers?

I guess having a sensible controller layout is less of an issue if you're marketing to gaming professionals, who don't let petty things like RSI get in the way of an epic fragging session. Plus it is the sexiest controller I've seen in a long time, even though it has clearly not been built for human hands. Quite a change from the Fisher Price controllers we usually get from Nintendo.

-

Talk about E3 ITT (in this thread). Alternatively, discuss the downfall of console gaming and our cloud based kickstarter future.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Re: Electronic Entertainment Exhibition, feat. Usher & Flo R

Post by G.Silver »

I want to know more about the motorcycle that's trained in over 40 different forms of unarmed combat.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Lara Croft went from Head Bitch In Charge with unrealistic proportions on one side of the scale to whiny little bitch who sets herself on fire with unrealistic proportions on the other end of the scale.

That's all I've heard about.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

I am going to e3 tomorrow and the day after (didn't go today, which is the first day).

I may post impressions. I know almost nothing about what's supposed to be on display there (and I don't even know very much about info that's been released, guess I'll browse some gaming news sites). I look forward to streetpassing my 3ds for Mii Street Plaza!

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I noticed that The Last of Us uses a traditional health bar.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

It what

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Am I the only one who thinks the ZombiU trailer is creepy as FUCK? :shock:

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

After that 50 minutes of mostly nothing on the 3DS conference broadcast, I was about set to rage until Reggie "mistakenly" waited for afterward to confirm Fire Emblem 3DS. Halllelujah.

Not sure I understand the point of NSMB2? Did they like, realize how much of a cash-in it is and try to make light of it by flooding the thing with coins?

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

this means redtube.com on xbox? i'm down.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Two Sony games with Ellen Page and Ellen Page-like characters, huh? They must really like her.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

So after attending 2 days of E3...

Best of Show:
iPad game where you play as a horribly animated runway model and your movement is dependent on how you tilt the iPad. You must avoid things like the audience throwing rotten food at you and suitcases and cobras that may be on the runway. You must also be weary of falling off the runway. There was also chocolate and candy at their booth that we were free to have. Not that that influenced anything on my opinion of Best of Show. There was also no 4 hour line.

Worst of Show:
Capcom in general. No one was allowed in their private enclosed booth unless you won a raffle that they'd have early each day. What the hell? Except the Lost Planet 3 units was the only game outside the booth that you didn't need a voucher for.

Other stuff:
Played 8 minutes of Metal Gear Revengeance. Before being able to play though, there was like a room where we had to watch a "recruitment" video of how we were next in line to be these soldiers like Raiden, which was quaint but dumb. I particularly like the sword swishing and I think it functions how I thought Skyward Sword would have worked if they had to use an analogue stick as opposed to swishing the wii remote. By pressing one of the shoulder buttons (I forget which) you go into a sort of bullet time where you're free to swish your sword in however you see fit. Early on there's a tutorial with cardboard cutouts of enemy soldiers holding hostages. You'd have to get near them and go into this bullet time and make sure you slash the soldier part of the cutout and not the hostage. You can pretty much go into this bullet time whenever you want, even in the heat of battle, in the event you need to make intricate cuts, such as aiming for the heart. It's kind of like taking things that are normally shooter obstacles (such as making sure you shoot the enemy and not the hostage or how you have to shoot certain parts of the body for best results and certain rewards, such as slicing around the heart will cut out the enemy cyborgs' regeneration unit which you can take to heal your own health) and applying it to swordplay.

I saw Resident Evil 6 at the Microsoft booth but I didn't play it enough to get an idea of if they did anything new with the formula. I kinda wish it had co op so the line could go twice as fast. Then again, if one person sucked a lot and died then their play session would have been over. I played as Jake, which is supposedly the most difficult scenario as I have already watched the people in front of me play and beat Leon's and Chris' scenario. I died within 1 minute in trying to run away from a giant monster who would instant death you once he caught up to you, mainly because I forgot which button to press to run.

I played Jet Set Radio on the Vita. It's expectedly the same game but with camera control.

I beat the Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz demo on its hardest difficulty. I'm supposedly only the 11th person who beat it. Got my picture taken with Jun Tokuhara, the Monkey Ball series producer. The last level punishes you for taking your time so you need quick thinking and control :(

Played Sega Racing Transformed as Vyse in the Panzer Dragoon level. Vyse's character profile render is horrible, but I imagine it's placeholder art because all the other characters have placeholder art from preexisting games. The laps went something like 1st lap: land, 2nd lap: water, 3rd lap: flight. It's an interesting way to shake things up and to give the tracks "life" so to speak, such as when flying around don't bump into the dragon that's flying around or the wobbly plants!

Nintendo booth was packed, though the most noteworthy thing they had was Pikmin 3. I didn't actually play anything there (I didn't play anything at the Sony booth either), and the one game I wanted to try out (Last of Us) was behind doors that unimportant peeps like myself weren't allowed in.

I also tried Ninja Gaiden 3 with the new WiiU controller. Unfortunately for me, Ninja Gaiden 3 is a very difficult game and the WiiU controller is very unorthodox. Those sticks being on top is just being different for the sake of being different.

Other Notes:
Halo 4 line was 4 hours long for a match that would last about 10 minutes. Borderlands 2 was hella long. Heck it took a very long time to even try out Resident Evil 6 even though there were only like 6 people in front of me. I didn't bother with the longer lines (I'm not particularly interested in either Halo or Borderlands) but I would've hated to see what it was like the year E3 was open to the public.

Image Image
Image Image

With Sonic!
With the Monkey Ball producer

I also took a picture with a Sega employee dressed as Hatsune Miku but my friend has that picture on his iPhone.

In the end I'm glad I didn't go all 3 days (I went on the latter two days). There's really not that much to see and I don't know what I would've done on a third day if I had that opportunity.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

One interesting comment I think I saw from a couple of different developers - and this makes perfect sense though I never thought about it before - is that it's best to start new franchises or generally try new things around a console launch. I wish Nintendo had that thinking.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

I thought Nintendo Land sounded interesting. I like the idea of introducing lay people to Nintendo's more obscure games. I remember Smash Bros. Melee being something of a revelation back in the Gamecube era, and I almost didn't buy it because the fighting game genre usually fosters twitchy, barely playable games with an equally loathsome fanbase.

My guess is that Nintendo has its hands full maintaining its existing franchises. Games like NSMB, the Mario Galaxy sequel, Pikmin 3 etc are basically wasted development resources that could have been used to create a new property. If so then the only way we'll see an all-new franchise is if Nintendo starts putting some of its core franchises into stasis for a while - Metroid seems like a good candidate (haven't seen a good game since 2004), Zelda would probably profit from a bit of a break too (but it's not going to happen), and Pokemon definitely needs some time off (again, unlikely).

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Green Gibbon! wrote:One interesting comment I think I saw from a couple of different developers - and this makes perfect sense though I never thought about it before - is that it's best to start new franchises or generally try new things around a console launch. I wish Nintendo had that thinking.
Well they've got a completely new game (with series potential) from Platinum coming out that looks fucking bonkers, they just completely failed to talk about it whatsoever.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I'm a little surprised at all the Pikmin-esque choices we suddenly have! Prior to E3, we had Little King's Story 2 and Army Corps of Hell, and was the upcoming indie title When Vikings Attack, though I think that was at E3 too. When they revealed Project P-100 I really wondered what the Viking people thought of that one, because they seem kind of similar in their mob-gathering multiplayer aspect. And of course, Pikmin 3! I want Pikmin 3 desperately but P-100 also looks pretty fun.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Pikmin's one of those games I always meant to play and in retrospect I'm not sure why I never did. I think I heard it described as an RTS at the time, which was an instant turn-off for me (and still would be), but watching gameplay videos it seems to only meet the RTS criteria by a broad stretch of imagination. I do think I'd enjoy it.

Pikmin 3 looks identical to the first two, though... the backdrops come off as pretty drab in HD.