Sonic 4 Episode 2 Not to Come until 2012

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Re: Sonic 4 Episode 2 Not to Come until 2012

Post by Radrappy »

there's some footage floating around and let me just say the physics look fucked up. Like, episode 1 quality.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

...did you watch the same footage that I did? Sonic seems a lot looser, accelerates decently, and (notably) his spin attack speed is affected by how fast he is moving. It's pretty difficult to tell without a hands on, but it didn't look at unnatural and stiff as Episode I.

On a related note; in all the footage available, why are the people playing so utterly, deplorably hopeless? Fuck, can't they find a PR guy that has played a vidja-game before?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I struggle a little with interpreting these videos because of how Sonic is animated. I feel like it is probably making him look floatier than he actually is? The way his legs move during his "slower" running phase (pre red spin), it kind of gives the impression he's lazily slicking along a trail of butter.

Animation niggles aside, I actually think the game LOOKS pretty nice! I think I'd actually have to play it myself to comment on the feel or the level design, though. Fortunately they make demos of these things, so it's not like anyone is going to be buying the game without knowing what they are getting into. (Playing the demo certainly spared me the agony of purchasing the first episode.)

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

I'm not impressed. I'm not going to comment on physics until I play it, but level artwork still looks horrendous.

Emperor Omochao

Post by Emperor Omochao »

A few minutes of gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od_00nFy ... r_embedded

Physics look ok so far..

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

I don't know what I think of the sonic/tails 69'ing rolling attack.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Claustrophobic level design, obstacles that are impossible to anticipate, bottomless pits, enemies with health points, a momentum-killing homing attack, ugly art assets, and clipping issues.

Yep, it's Sonic 4.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Well, one would think that a 2D game would be easier to program without so many problems compared to a CGI one...

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Sega said in an interview before Episode 1 came out that Sonic's sprite was made to look like his current era because it wouldn't "mesh" for him to be drawn in 2-D, or in his classic style. It was never going to be 2-D, unfortunately. (Not that Dimps has made any solid 2-D Sonic titles, mind you.)

You'd think with all that extra resolution, you'd be able to actually see your surroundings better than in the portable Sonic games. How silly an idea for Dimps to acknowledge.

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

Hmm. Begin cautious optimism, ready for a swift kick of disappointment.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

So playable Metal Sonic in Episode I-based levels... I kinda expected them to do something like this with Tails.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Higher quality version over here: http://youtu.be/KvhXMevf6V4

I really don't know why the camera zooms in and out. Are they trying to achieve some kind of dramatic effect or something? With those bland graphics?

I mean, no amount of good controls will change the fact that Dimps are quite incompetent when it comes to positioning stage hazards and stuff, but at least they could make it so the player feels responsible for falling into them by making them visible well in advance...

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

gr4yJ4Y wrote:So playable Metal Sonic in Episode I-based levels... I kinda expected them to do something like this with Tails.
I'm guessing that would take a lot more work to implement.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

sandopolis combined with oil ocean seems like a cool idea for a level. but yeah it does look pretty bland. I don't know how sonic generations got away with presenting remade levels in a way that felt fresh while Sonic 4 just looks meh.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It's a solid reminder of how, like it or not, presentation is really important! Sonic Generations' stages probably weren't any more inventive than 4.2s structurally or mechanically, but they were really nice to look at... a lot smart, stylish art decisions were made in how they reinterpreted the visuals of the older games.

I don't think 4.2 looks awful, but it doesn't have much in the way of style. The whole thing looks a little utilitarian.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Let's all give a rousing slowclap for Steam, stepping up to drop dung on Sega's face for the second time in a row! They plugged the leak, but people have backed up the files and still gotten it to work without authentication. From what I can tell the game is functionally complete too, so this is potentially worse than the PartnerNET leak!

I watched about half the levels on youtube, and slightly better handling aside (you accelerate rolling on slopes, what a concept), this is not looking like the type of game that will win over people burned by Ep 1. The music still sounds like a vacuum cleaner orchestra and the boss theme, while an improvement, is still a shitty 18-second loop. I suppose the layouts aren't too terrible when you're not being thrust through the stage by itself (which is, a lot of the time), but well... put it this way, we've traded the mine cart for roller coaster, on foot.

That cool and imposing looking first boss, by the way? All you have to do is let Tails carry you up, and keep activating that move in mid air, and you've broken it over your knee already.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Man, what is it with Sonic 4 and leaks? Too many water levels?

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

I'm still not impressed. I'm downloading the leak to see if the game is worth the purchase -- I am not paying to play an incomplete game.

Seriously, who charges the player to test their game?

CM August

Post by CM August »

And once again 99% of the soundtrack is downright awful. What's the point of keeping Jun Senoue around anymore if this is what he craps out? At least don't leave him alone. The other games end up having better soundtracks when other composers get involved. As it is, I'd avoid this game simply to save my ears.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

I like the idea of allowing the player to be carried about by Tails with ease, but then again, I wish that the levels and bosses didn't require the use of him to progress. You know, maybe you'd discover some short cuts, caches, or alternatives routes by using him, but it wouldn't be necessary or anything. At least that way you'd kind of approach the use of character-specific routes that Sonic 3 and Knuckles did, depending on if you wanted more straight-up platforming or not.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

CM August wrote:And once again 99% of the soundtrack is downright awful. What's the point of keeping Jun Senoue around anymore if this is what he craps out? At least don't leave him alone. The other games end up having better soundtracks when other composers get involved. As it is, I'd avoid this game simply to save my ears.
Came here to complain about this! Nice work Jun, an entire soundtrack that sounds like randomised midi.

He must constantly aim to impress too, as somehow it's even worse than episode 1's OST.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

after looking at some videos, I think the level art actually looks kind of cool. If only it was not so glossy.

But yeah, the music is painful.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I knew you were good people, CP.