Does this make me gay?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Re: Does this make me gay?

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Suppon? I've never heard of it being served like that, but they do slaughter them alive to keep the blood flowing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA94rXGp2KM

I ate a turtle stew once back in Louisiana and it was pretty disgusting. Alligator's not bad, though.

There's some kind of sake here that's made with a live mamushi, which I think is Japan's only venomous snake. Literally you put the live snake into a jug of sake and wait for it to die. According to a forestry teacher I work with (the same guy who likes bear meat), this can take weeks.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I couldn't stick with that Youtube link very long. The one I heard was that they hold the turtle down and dangle something in front of its mouth until it bites it (it won't let go), and then pull the neck out far enough to get a good cut.

The story that really did it for me (though Popcorn's is far more horrifying) is a drink made by putting tiny fish in a glass of watered-down vinegar. The fish begin writhing in agony immediately, and you're supposed to drink it before they die. There's another one where a large fish is served paralyzed and with its flank cut open, and it gasps and looks around with its eye as you eat it. The flesh is described as "ピクピク," still twitching with live muscle as you swallow it.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

...so basically if I ever want to visit Japan, I need to bring my own food for however many days I'm staying. Got it.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Man, I just ate at British-style pubs there. Pretty sure fish 'n chips is the same everywhere.

Well, plus or minus high doses of radiation.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Fried food is always better the further north you go.

At least, that's how it works over here. I assume it's the same everywhere else.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

I sure am glad I've been a lacto‐vegetarian for over six years now.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Re:

Post by j-man »

Senbei wrote:Man, I just ate at British-style pubs there. Pretty sure fish 'n chips is the same everywhere.
I beg to differ, mate. Even in England it's terrible unless you go to the seaside.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Crisis wrote:Fried food is always better the further north you go.

At least, that's how it works over here. I assume it's the same everywhere else.
What? No. Our good fried stuff comes from the South. You chauvinist.
P.P.A. wrote:I sure am glad I've been a lacto‐vegetarian for over six years now.
Why? What exactly does that mean?

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

No meat or eggs, but cheese.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

I assume fish semen is off the menu as well, as it has the potential to be more fish.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

It also never really comes up, which helps.

(No Imagination)

Post by (No Imagination) »

On subject of turtle soups...happens by chance that I'm cooking dinner right now and using a local cookbook. So lemme just browse and find that turtle soup bit...

...ah, here we go (sloppy translation follows):
Generic Slovenian Cookbook wrote: Place a fresh, lively turtle on the kitchen desk. Heat up a fabric dryer*; as the iron is glowing with heat, place it across the turtle shell and wait for the turtle to extend its neck, proceeding to chop the head off with a sharp kitchen knife. Make sure to capture the running blood in a jar as well as remove arms and legs ... After the blood's been gushed off, position the turtle [remains] vertically and open the shell with a blunt blow over the neck area, which should make the belly part of its shield fall off ... [after this, it's basically like cooking onion soup, except you ADD BLOOD~]
*local fabric driers are these ludicrously hot iron plates with a handle, heated directly by 220 volts of domestic nuclear-derived power - touching the plate will immediately make one's skin stick to its surface like a chewing gum. Nowadays similar-looking, yet wimpier steam-based driers are popular while the old ones aren't really produced anymore...which I guess makes it harder and harder to cook turtle soup over here. (...probably the way it should be, since making turtle soup out of indigenous species is supposed to be illegal anyway.)

I'd say this is how turtle soup is prepared all over Europe. Has to be fresh, see, just like lobster. Which I'm by the way never eating again. I just don't like to happen to overhear my supper scream in boiling agony directly before it's served, thank you very much mr. Dalmatian Cook.

Not all that unrelated, when I was about 8 and vacating in Croatia, I saw a man catch a 25 centimeter shark (some species of Squalus I'd guess). He put it, alive, in a portable ice-box for later preparation. Roughly 12 hours later I saw that man cleaning up that same shark over at the pier - as he opened the icebox and took the beast out, it was still alive and vigorously "swam" through the air right up to the point where he cut its head off and tossed it into the ocean. Resilient little sons of bitches, they are, these 400 million year old sour and inedible steak sources. Good think us humans can digest almost anything, otherwise we might just hafta lettem live or some shit.

Beef tongues? Only smoked and steamed here. Not nearly as popular as it was in the 80s, though.

Fish semen? None of that, but fried bull eggs come kind of close, I'd imagine.

Worst dish experience ever? Right, that would probably be the brodet, literally "[fisher] boat soup". It's made out of sea water, with as many things marine as possible swimming in it, cooked to death. It's like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get. (Except you know there's gonna be some crude in the solution due to a covered-up tanker spill which happened in Northern Adriatic somewhen in '82, but that is beside the point.)
Traditionally it includes everything a fisherman would have caught but never be able to sell as food...basically meaning you get seahorses, starfish, shellfish, jellyfish, Turbo snails ... and notably noah's ark clams ... the noah ark's clams are in particular going to be frequent around these parts, and in turn their shells are usually overgrown with algae, bryozoans, sponges, tunicates etc. ... all of them contributing their not-so-subtly sour juice emmisions to an already barely palatable mess of extremely salty and oceanic taste. I suppose that's what drowning in the great pacific garbage patch would taste like. For 6 euro.
G.Silver wrote:The story that really did it for me (though Popcorn's is far more horrifying) is a drink made by putting tiny fish in a glass of watered-down vinegar. The fish begin writhing in agony immediately, and you're supposed to drink it before they die. There's another one where a large fish is served paralyzed and with its flank cut open, and it gasps and looks around with its eye as you eat it. The flesh is described as "ピクピク," still twitching with live muscle as you swallow it.
The twitching fish thing really tops it, though. I suppose it's a traditional way of letting one know their fish is really fresh?

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

(No Imagination) wrote:Has to be fresh, see, just like lobster. Which I'm by the way never eating again. I just don't like to happen to overhear my supper scream in boiling agony directly before it's served, thank you very much mr. Dalmatian Cook.
That's not really screaming; that's the whine of air bubbles escaping from its shell.

The only thing of interest I can recall eating was a can of tuna from the mid-to-late 80s that I found in an old forgotten kitchen in a retreat house in rural Massachusetts last year. It had no date on it, which is why I opened the can in the first place, but later I noticed that the can of sweet peas next to it expired in 89. Both cans had an old style nutrition label and similar spots of rust on the metal so I assume they were purchased together. Amazingly it was fine, just slightly bland. Good to know that tuna will last for at least a quarter of a lifetime.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Japanese cuisine has reached its terminus. There simply isn't any place left for them to go!

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Ritz wrote:Japanese cuisine has reached its terminus. There simply isn't any place left for them to go!
5th related video: "Exposed! Japanese Poop Burger is a Hoax!"

Yeah nah.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

If you had actually clicked on said 5th related video you'd have noticed that it was a parody.

Yeah nah.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

What, the related video is a parody or the original video is a parody?

If the former I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion since it's a pretty straightforward and clear explanation. If the latter then, well... yeah, while "parody" is certainly a different word from "hoax" they both mean it isn't real which is the important part of what I was getting at. And a parody can still be a hoax.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

I figured it was a hoax immediately after seeing the fridge label with "SHIT BURGER" scrawled on it in English. I didn't realize there was a video to definitively take the fun out of it!

The debunker's unwavering conviction in stating that the Japanese would never ever eat their own poop makes me wonder if he's as familiar with their culture as he says, though. The jury might still be out on this, the man isn't trustworthy.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I was talking about the related video.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Anyone in the mood for whale intestines tonight?

http://gurutabi.gnavi.co.jp/gourmet/cat ... _nagasaki/

The Doc
Now Playing: Guess Who?

Post by The Doc »

I've always wanted to go to Japan, but the food is probably the reason I haven't gone yet. My stupid taste buds are very stubborn and I haven't seen a single bit of Japanese cuisine that I find appetizing. I don't like seafood at all.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

Ritz wrote:So how exactly does one jerk off a fish, and how many loads does it take for one meal serving? Either that jizz constitutes ⅔ of a cod's body mass or someone very gay worked very hard to prepare that meal for you. Which is more frightening?
When you catch fish during it's spawning season, handling it and not making it come or leak eggs on you is the trick. Also, a lot of semen comes out of a fish. After all, it's not injected directly into the ovum.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

On a related note, I heard recently that radioactive rain from Fukushima has been detected in the US as far inland as Oklahoma and that we're importing food from Japan without rad testing it to maintain good political relations. Today I stumbled on this video, which says even wilder things. The story on Wikipedia and mainstream news contradicts it, but after an hour of searching I wasn't able to find anyone criticizing this. I thought I'd bring it to everyone's attention and, while I'm at it, does anyone know of anybody directly refuting it?

Gibs, what's the culture like over there? Has everyone just resolved to die of cancer in their 40s? Is anyone avoiding seafood, or certain brands, or trying to get imported food, or taking iodine capsules or anything? Can you validate the claim that displaced children from Fukushima 4-15 are wearing rad detectors?
Some Facts About the Fukushima Daiichi Meltdown/Melt-Throughs:
- In the first week of Meltdown, Fukushima released more radioactive material than Chernobyl and more Cesium than all of the Nuclear Bombs detonated during atmospheric testing.
- The 100 ton fuel cores of Units 1, 2 and 3 melted through containment and fell into the basements of the Reactor Buildings. Tepco confirmed this July 6th, 2011.
The cores most likely melted through the concrete and entered the ground and water tables.

- Chernobyl was a 7 as rated by IAEA. Fukushima should be an 8+ and still has not been contained.
- There are millions of people in Japan living in radiation levels higher than of the No-Go Zones of Chernobyl.
- 34,000 Fukushima children between the ages of 4 and 15 are wearing radiation detectors to measure the bioaccumulation of radiation at their School Grounds.

- Since mid March 2011, large amounts of Radioactive Fallout and Hot Particles have made their way to North America.

- The EPA stopped monitoring Fallout from Fukushima in late April 2011.
- Before they stopped measuring radioactive fallout Radioactive Iodine, Cesium, Zeon, and Uranium were measured in the US at 100s of times the legal background limit.

- 1000s of tons of Radioactive water have been released by TEPCO into the Pacific Ocean, contaminating water and sea life.
Elements like Cessium and Uranium have half lives of 1000s of years.
- TEPCO and GE continue to obfuscate and hide the truth.
It took 3 months to admit that a meltdown occured in Units 1-3 and close to 4 months until a Melt-Through had been confirmed.
- The Japanese Government and TEPCO have yet to begin entombing the reactors, because radiation levels are so high, that skilled technicians and engineers can only work for minutes at a time, before receiving their yearly dose of radiation. A few hours on site would lead to death.

“Hot Particles” are microscopic radioactive particles that travel with weather and wind patterns.
When “Hot Particles” are injected by humans they lodge in Lung and Bone tissues and create CANCERS in the surrounding cells.

Citizens in Tokyo Japan are inhaling 10 hot particles a day.

Citizens in Seattle, Washington and LA, California are inhaling 5 hot particles a day.

- After years of decline 2 large American cities, Philadelphia and Seattle have seen a 3.5%+ rise in Infant Mortality rates from the monthes of March 2011 – July 2011.

- Radiation levels that are multiple times above legal limits, as set by EPA, have been detected in rain water, milk, fish, dairy produvts, vegetables, fruits, and beef products in the US
This has not been covered by the mainstream media.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Frieza2000 wrote:Today I stumbled on this video, which says even wilder things. The story on Wikipedia and mainstream news contradicts it, but after an hour of searching I wasn't able to find anyone criticizing this.
Food safety in Japan right now is a real problem(<--mainstream media coverage, zomg!), but the tone of those comments makes it sound like these people are probably a bunch of conspiracy theorists feeding off one another. (I don't have time to sit down and watch it, and probably won't.) If you're really worried, you can check out the FDA's website on imports from Japan post-Fukushima, which states:
As of January 24th, FDA import investigators had performed 29,937 field examinations for radionuclide contamination. FDA had tested 1238 samples, 186 of which were seafood or seafood products. 1237 samples had no Iodine-131, Cesium-134, Cesium-137, or other gamma-ray emitting radionuclides of concern. 1 sample was found to contain detectable levels of Cesium, but was below the established Derived Intervention Level (DIL) and posed no public health concern. MS Excel Data File
It's got some other good info, too. I guess you could download the spreadsheet they have and go through every last bit of data. Or you could just buy American foodstuffs, which strikes me as a pretty obvious countermeasure to a threat that probably isn't one.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Somewhere between the towns of Kuzumaki and Kuji, about an hour and a half drive from here, there is a place with charcoal flavor ice cream. I know it exists because I've seen the pictures and have talked to people who tried it. I've been up and down that road several times, but I have yet to find the place.

Last weekend I did, however, find a small shop with salt ice cream. Just salt. The sign was only written in hiragana, so when I got home I had to go online and check to make sure "shio" didn't mean anything else. Apparently it also means "tide", but salt seems like the more likely conclusion for an ice cream flavor. It was actually kind of salty, but pretty good.

Trying to remember all the strange ice cream flavors I've had since coming here: cabbage, spinach, wasabi, tomato, sweet potato, tofu, soba, cheese, edamame... more, I'm sure. All were delicious except tomato, which really did taste like tomatoes, which I despise. I figured it'd be more artificial-tasting.