The next Pokemon game...

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Yami CJMErl

The next Pokemon game...

Post by Yami CJMErl »

...is NOT Pokemon Grey Version.

Preview video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxi4rdnOUbQ

Photos from Dengeki's Twitter account:
http://tinycartridge.com/post/143345376 ... sh-up-srpg

No, seriously.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Re: The next Pokemon game...

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Whoa. I know it's too early to tell, but I think the game's concept sounds so cool. Thank goodness it's getting a DS release.

But what are Unovan Pokemon doing here In medieval Japan?!?

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

A Pokemon strategy game? Huh?

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Jingles wrote:A Pokemon strategy game? Huh?
All I want to know is why it's Tecmo doing it first and not Intelligent Systems.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Pokemon is stupid.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Wombatwarlord777 wrote:But what are Unovan Pokemon doing here In medieval Japan?!?
You are thinking about this too hard.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

I've always hoped for a mediæval‐themed Pokémon game where your protagonist can actually fight monsters himself, and where you can equip Pokémon with all kinds of armour. I guess this is the closest we can get to that for now.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

If it's set in the past, why is Mewtwo there? =S

Neo

Post by Neo »

Crazy Penguin wrote:If it's set in the past, why is Mewtwo there? =S
ImageImage

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

P.P.A. wrote:I've always hoped for a mediæval‐themed Pokémon game where your protagonist can actually fight monsters himself, and where you can equip Pokémon with all kinds of armour.
That's a little farfetch'd wouldn't you say?

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

It's funny. A few days I was musing about how "Dynasty Warriors: Pokémon" would be a cool idea. Guess this is the closest thing I'll get for now.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

Radrappy wrote:
P.P.A. wrote:I've always hoped for a mediæval‐themed Pokémon game where your protagonist can actually fight monsters himself, and where you can equip Pokémon with all kinds of armour.
That's a little farfetch'd wouldn't you say?
Oh shit! poke' pun!

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

Well, such a setting would certainly provide a lot of opportunities to showcase many Pokémon's darker sides as implied in many Pokédex entires (the Hypno in FR/LG was a brilliant touch). A Gyarados attacking and wrecking a ship or a coastal city and needing to be defeated and tamed, for example.
It would also be interesting to see how humans would and could exploit different Pokémon in a less technologically sophisticated environment. Steel Pokémon as living tanks, for example. It would help to flesh the franchise out by actually making humans and Pokémon meaningfully interact in everyday life and them sharing one common world, for better or worse.

And, lastly, the aesthetic potential of armoured Pokémon is just too amazing not to try and exploit at least once.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Personally I've always wanted to see a Pokemon FPS. You could go the safari route and make it a hunting game, but I'd rather see the Pokemon world in a more hostile setting. Say Team Rocket finally gets its act together, builds an army of viciously trained Pokemon, and effectively takes over the world, fascistly preventing anyone else from possessing them or the technology to tame them so they can rule unchallenged. You'd either play as some badass who's just so awesome that he can take on legions of monsters with elemental powers, or someone with battle armor to make it less ridiculous. You'd gun your way through wild Pokemon and enemy soldiers alike, earning money to buy items and cheap equipment upgrades from the towns in-between finding better upgrades in the fields and dungeons, something like Metroid Prime or Turok with more RPG elements. You'd travel through the usual settings - dirt highways, forests, caves, ruins, and TR buildings - leading a one-man revolution and thwarting TR enterprises in every region along the way, until you finally arrive at their corporate office, armed with the power that can bring down the corrupt empire and their army of weaponized Pokemon once and for all. Pokemon Legion: Gotta kill 'em all!

...man, I hated Pokemon so much when I was 14. I'd still buy that, though.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

Frieza2000 wrote:Personally I've always wanted to see a Pokemon FPS.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/ ... A9mon_Snap

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

^ That's a rail shooter.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

The next next Pokémon game...

...is ALSO not Grey Version.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

Let's be honest, it is, it's just divided into two cartridges.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

Pokémon Apartheid?

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Pokemon has this weird cargo cult thing going on. Two versions, because it worked in 1998! More Pokemon, because the roster isn't bloated enough yet! Three elemental starters, because how else could they possibly start the game?

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

It's been, what, seven/eight years since Drill Dozer? That's their largest gap between non-Pokemon IPs since between Click Medic (which I really should emulate one of these days) and DD. I really hope its anemic sales had taken the wind out of their, er, sails. They're at their best when they just go all out on weird, colorful and inventive works. But no-one fucking knows how goddamned fun Mendel's Palace/Quinty is despite how much attention is payed to the NES's library.

I'm certain my only exposure to this game is going to be fan-art of the fire type grafted onto a human body, much to my chagrin.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

At least the monsters are finally modeled in 3d. They've resisted doing it for long enough.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

I would've liked it better if it featured super-high quality 2D animation for battles, I love cartoon-like 2D when done well like in Wario Land Shake. Then again, pokémon designs are quite simple so it's also a good match for polygonal models.

I'll be getting a 3DS XL shortly, and already running out of good games that I want to play on it other than original DS titles. So far it's just Super Mario 3D Land and Ocarina of Time 3D, maybe NSMB2 if I really don't feel like I had my Mario fix with 3D, so this is certainly good news.

Of course I'll wait until people's impressions of it, if it turns out shit I could always get B&W(2) on the cheap. By the way, I read that the DS games have longer loading times when running on a 3DS. Does anyone know if it's the same on the XL model?

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

Isuka wrote:I would've liked it better if it featured super-high quality 2D animation for battles, I love cartoon-like 2D when done well like in Wario Land Shake. Then again, pokémon designs are quite simple so it's also a good match for polygonal models.

I'll be getting a 3DS XL shortly, and already running out of good games that I want to play on it other than original DS titles. So far it's just Super Mario 3D Land and Ocarina of Time 3D, maybe NSMB2 if I really don't feel like I had my Mario fix with 3D, so this is certainly good news.

Of course I'll wait until people's impressions of it, if it turns out shit I could always get B&W(2) on the cheap. By the way, I read that the DS games have longer loading times when running on a 3DS. Does anyone know if it's the same on the XL model?
Weren't the pokemon black and white animations done in this awkward puppet-like style? That was god awful looking.