Sega release trailer for.. Sonic CD? What?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Re: Sega release trailer for.. Sonic CD? What?

Post by FlashTHD »

gr4yJ4Y wrote:-optional Sonic 2 physics
You forgot to dress up that "optional" in as much BBCode as you can find so that PPA might have a chance of seeing it. (Might.)

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

FlashTHD wrote:
gr4yJ4Y wrote:-optional Sonic 2 physics
You forgot to dress up that "optional" in as much BBCode as you can find so that PPA might have a chance of seeing it. (Might.)
P.P.A. wrote:More people might play it without complaining, but it would also lose its entire point and spirit. Even if it was optional—it's just an affront towards the essence of the game and the developers' intentions and vision.
Again, I'm not saying they're ruining the product in its form, but they're being disrespectful towards the game's idea.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

When a restaurant gives you a choice of sauces to go with a meal, they're being disrespectful to that meal.

Right.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Zeta wrote:When a restaurant gives you a choice of sauces to go with a meal, they're being disrespectful to that meal.

Right.
I'll have a one of your finest steaks well-done please.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

If you think of a game as a piece of entertainment, then what's the harm in adding an extra feature if it will sell more copies? Even if it sucks, nothing is removed, and someone - perhaps many people - will have their curiosity satisfied.

If you think of a game as a piece of art, then you see it as a collection of design philosophies. Giving players the option of replacing the core engine flagrantly violates those philosophies and turns the game into something it was never intended to be.

I think this is what PPA is talking about when he says respect for the game's idea. It's obviously not an important factor to people who aren't either very invested in the specific game, or in game design in general.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Crisis wrote:I think this is what PPA is talking about when he says respect for the game's idea. It's obviously not an important factor to people who aren't either very invested in the specific game, or in game design in general.
I'm interested in both, and view games as art. I just don't view any particular game as a sacred cow, particularly when there's no actual slaughtering taking place. The cows are all fine--no cows were killed in the making of this game!!

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

So not to steer us away from this incredibly compelling topic, but Sega's doing a Sonic CD art contest! Who's up for that? Or should we keep go like last time and make a bunch of gag entries like "Fang Sniped First" so Sega will realize how disrespectful this is?

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

We should just do another art contest of our own. I really enjoyed that.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Locit wrote:We should just do another art contest of our own. I really enjoyed that.
Ooh! Ooh! Me first!

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

And allow me to be the second.

Seriously, the Tails Doll kind of sucks at racing!

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Disappointingly tootless!
Taxman wrote:I know it’s a bit of a bummer that the vocals had to be left out. It’s definitely not something due to laziness or something silly. I couldn’t tell you the circumstances, but at least from my understanding there are some rights associated with the lyrics themselves.

My guess is that since Casey Rankin is no longer alive, there might be problems negotiating the use of the lyrics outside of Japan. Please, don’t take this as gospel though since I don’t work in legal
http://www.sonicstadium.org/2011/11/voc ... oundtrack/

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Jesus Christ, what a buzzkill. I guess that means Cosmic Eternity will also be an instrumental. Sonic CD will forever be one of those things consistently tarnished in some way due to ridiculous legal or technical issues.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Weird, although, doesn't matter to me as i've always thought Cosmic Eternity's BGM was wasted on those lyrics; they make me cringe. Sonic Remix made a different song out of that music and it was better (if only due to the vocalist being the Daytona USA guy and not being able to make out most of it).

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Pepperidge wrote:Sonic CD will forever be one of those things consistently tarnished in some way due to ridiculous legal or technical issues.
Was there a problem with the Gems version?

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Bad sound quality, unskippable time warp, clear water in Tidal Tempest, Special Stages go twice as fast as normal..and the U.S. soundtrack, too.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

FlashTHD wrote:Weird, although, doesn't matter to me as i've always thought Cosmic Eternity's BGM was wasted on those lyrics; they make me cringe.
I like the lyrics myself, but it will probably fare better as an instrumental than "Sonic - You Can Do Anything" does.

Still better than "Sonic Boom", though. I really don't like that song... at least not in the context of the Sonic CD animations.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Tsuyoshi-kun wrote:Bad sound quality, unskippable time warp, clear water in Tidal Tempest, Special Stages go twice as fast as normal..and the U.S. soundtrack, too.
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about the water. Didn't know about the sound quality or unskippable time warp though.

Given how agonisingly slow I found the special stages in the original version, I'd probably prefer the faster speed in Gems, but then I remember what we've been discussing in this thread so ho hum.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

The faster special stages are hell to time attack though. Other issues with the Gems Collection version include graphical errors like the background of Stardust Speedway's Bad Future being stuck in an animation frame originally only playing when a lightning strikes, the spindash/peel‐out sound not playing all the time while you're charging, but only briefly when you press the buttons (although this bug is not exactly unwelcome, for once), and some minor changes being made to the level design, as well as a (highly exploitable, and thus missed) glitch being fixed that allowed you to pass through walls (or skip entire levels if done at the very start of a stage; all CC1 runs rely on this strat) by obtaining speed shoes and charging a peel‐out longer than usual before releasing it right into a wall. At least the opening and ending were of exceptional visual quality, though the credit roll isn't integrated any more.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

P.P.A. wrote:the spindash/peel‐out sound not playing all the time while you're charging, but only briefly when you press the buttons (although this bug is not exactly unwelcome, for once)
Blasphemer! Have you no appreciation for the creators' intentions?

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

P.P.A. wrote:as well as a (highly exploitable, and thus missed) glitch being fixed that allowed you to pass through walls (or skip entire levels if done at the very start of a stage; all CC1 runs rely on this strat) by obtaining speed shoes and charging a peel‐out longer than usual before releasing it right into a wall.
Okay, so SCD was perfect, right? And here you're talking about this glitch, right? The one that enabled you to bypass entire levels, and you miss it because actually having to play them correctly would just be too much fun, right?

This is like some Capcom fighter maven crying foul over the addition of a new character and lamenting the removal of infinites in the same breath. You filthy casual SCD scrub.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

I actually enjoyed the one stage where using it is vital to time attacking much more in Gems Collection where I didn't have the option of glitching through it, because finding a route through the level and figuring out ways to perfect it was much more fun than grabbing the nearest speed schoes, bumping back to the start of the Zone, and skipping the rest of it. However, this was back when I competed at The Sonic Center, so having access to these glitch was necessary to continue playing in the highest league.
Locit wrote:
P.P.A. wrote:the spindash/peel‐out sound not playing all the time while you're charging, but only briefly when you press the buttons (although this bug is not exactly unwelcome, for once)
Blasphemer! Have you no appreciation for the creators' intentions?
Oh you. :V

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I dreamed I was playing this last night on a handheld Xbox. Not only was Tails playable, but classic Amy and even Eggman as well. You always started as Sonic though, and switched between him and your chosen alt by pressing up+right bumper.

I fear the actual product will not be able to surpass this experience.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

How did Eggman handle?

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

His animation on the character select screen was of his Sonic 2 sprite running, so if that's any indication I imagine he would've had a top speed matching Super Sonic's and a low, floaty jump. Unfortunately I picked Amy so I can't verify (and when I tried to switch to her I think I ended up with Knuckles, so either I found a secret code or bug testing was minimal).

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

After a video leak Taxman has confirmed that the US soundtrack will also be included. You can switch between the two through the options menu.