Sonic Generations

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Crowbar

Re: Sonic Generations

Post by Crowbar »

Man, what the hell.

Can somebody give these people a reality check please? It's like they're missing the point of this whole exercise.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

I think they're just trolling us now.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Looks like another Dimps Sonic game I'll avoid, if they can't even get something as simple as classic Sonic not using homing attacks correct. (The Mushroom Hill music mix-up was another factor.) Man, what do Sega see in these guys?

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Man, what do Sega see in these guys?
Is there evidence that Dimps actually gets to make design decisions on projects like these? I figure someone at Sega told them to put in the homing attack. It's not like Sega can be trusted to do right either.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I'm hoping it's Sega's meddling, because if Takashi Iizuka is the reason for it, then I don't know what to think.

I kind of like the new look of Sky Sanctuary on the 360/PS3 version. I thought the original level was kind of dull.

K2J

Post by K2J »

Music off-headphones from Mushroom Hill and Big Arm (3DS). Note that they still have sound effects in them, particularly Big Arm.

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

K2J wrote:Music off-headphones from Mushroom Hill and Big Arm (3DS). Note that they still have sound effects in them, particularly Big Arm.
Oh wow. That Big Arm remix is spectacular. Mushroom Hill Zone Classic sounds okay I guess.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

A few random new screenshots:
[edit: After clicking, you might have to go up the address bar, click in it and hit enter]

This chili dog ad is kind of disturbing:
http://www.4gamer.net/games/131/G013139 ... SS/010.jpg

Here's a better look at the airship:
http://www.4gamer.net/games/131/G013139 ... SS/012.jpg

Some of the run-on-water sequences in Unleashed were fun, and some of them were uncontrollable nightmares. So this spooks me a little. Hopefully they learned their lesson:
http://www.4gamer.net/games/131/G013139 ... SS/007.jpg

It really does seem like it's going to be more of an Ocean Palace stage than a Seaside Hill one. I guess that helps keep it from being too much like the GHZ stage.
http://www.tssznews.com/2011/09/21/seve ... reenshots/

And then finally, I just thought this one was cute!
http://www.4gamer.net/games/131/G013139 ... SS/008.jpg

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Uh, I'm not seeing any pictures there.

At least I saw the new Ocean Palace Seaside Hill screens at Retro. Nothing struck me as new, but the stage continues to look gorgeous.

I'm kind of concerned about the lack of word on whether there's going to be Sonic Generations on the PC or not. I'm looking forward to this game (mostly due to nostalgia and what I suspect is decent gameplay) and it's been a long time since anything related to the Sonic franchise has been able to do that.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

I don't know what zone that is with the Carnival Night balloons and Hill Top lifts, but it reminds of Henry Hatsworth. I only hope those airships are part of of the level and not just decoration.

ALSO! Idle animations!

Flickies' Island is canon! :eek:

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Sorry! Hotlinked images replaced with (sort of) working links. They were displaying before, but then they stopped working. Guess I wasn't supposed to do that!

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

There's something jarring about seeing a beetle in a Sonic Heroes level:
http://www.tssznews.com/wp-content/uplo ... onic-1.jpg

K2J

Post by K2J »

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

The "Missions" part of that doesn't give too much fresh hope. Colours had "Missions", and they invariably sucked after the first one in any stage.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It really depends on their willingness to craft new areas to put the missions in. In both Colours and Unleashed, the best side levels were the ones that took place in original areas, or at least old areas that had been modified within an inch of their lives.

I like things like the little obstacle course loop stages in Unleashed. Those were fun! But I don't think I could take another "don't break any jars" challenge.

K2J

Post by K2J »

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Here's a new video from a German gaming site, with some footage of the Classic Sky Sanctuary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yExkCNQ3fhw

The level may be coloured a little differently, but all the elements are still there -- the eggbots, the bouncing clouds, the collapsing walkways, the... vine rod things...

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

This is the first clip I've seen with the City Escape truck's "new moves" different from SA2's. I whole-heartily approve.

M.C.Dillinger
Now Playing: Persona 4 Golden/Megaman Maverick Hunter X/TF2
Location: Master Tails Doll comes from a place where such things are meaningless

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

Anyone else notice a certain character from Sonic Adventure 2 following Sonic in Green Hill zone?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Haha! I didn't notice that the first time. One thing that's a little strange, though, is that several of the segments in this clip (including the truck chase) utilized the quickstep when they were shown previously. But now, there isn't even a button prompt on screen. I wonder if they took it out? I hope not. I liked the quick step!

I've been replaying Colours recently. I know not everyone here was crazy about it, but man, I really liked it at the time -- and nearly a year later, I still really like it. I'm not even going to go through the motions of apologizing for it's handful of problems. (We all know what they are.) It's just... a really good game, man. And it's just such a novelty to sit down and play a modern Sonic game and actually be impressed by things, by neat ideas and clever level architecture and honest-to-goodness charm.. to actually have a good time instead of getting incredibly irritated. Heck, it's a novelty to have a modern Sonic game I'd want to replay a year later at all!

The point is... I think it's because of Colours that my hopes are WAY UP for Generations. My hopes are up in a way they haven't been for any Sonic game since 2001. I just... feel good about Sonic right now. It is a weird feeling! But man, I really don't want this to be a one-off thing, you know? I want them to continue what they started with Colours. I don't want them to fall off the wagon. I want them to make an even BETTER game, by tightening up the controls and increasing the stage count. I want Generations to be as good as it looks in the trailers and I am terrified they are going to fuck it up.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Esrever wrote:I want Generations to be as good as it looks in the trailers and I am terrified they are going to fuck it up.
If you are, then I would suggest you voluntarily step down from the cloud, in case it happens to dissipate beneath you.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Hah! Yeah, I know. But I can't help it. It was easy to not give a shit about the next Sonic title when they were always horrible. But now, they made a game and I really liked it! So it's hard to suppress the hope that they'll do it again. It's involuntary.

Saying I'm "terrified" is an exaggeration, though. I mean, it's just a video game. Maybe "dread" is a better way of describing the emotion.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I already have kind of accepted that Colors was a fluke in terms of quality. Generations looks to have taken what worked well about colors and split it in two, yielding classic sonic and unleashed sonic (of which I have close to zero affection for). The result is going to be a game that's half potentially great and half irritating. Having played modern sonic at Sonicboom and after watching many gameplay videos, the level design and handling of the character are a complete step backwards from colors. So basically, Im already preparing myself to be slightly disappointed at best.

Sky sanctuary does look like good fun though. But man I am not looking forward to modern city escape. After hearing some of that butt rock from end of the truck chase in this german gameplay video, I'm embarrassed to say I ever liked SA2 in the first place. It's completely yucky.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-DHEqb_ ... r_embedded#!

Huge gameplay video. Hub world looks great. No classic knuckles, but that's okay.

there's a violin version of the levels music playing in front of each gate. Pretty charming.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

No Classic Amy either. :(

They're continuing to try to give me an aneurysm with their historically inaccurate sound effects. Couldn't they have used an actual 1-up jingle for 1-ups instead of the Chaos Emerald jingle in at least the classic levels? The clouds in Sky Sanctuary also make completely the wrong sound (this is important because I always loved those clouds).

Inane bitching aside, Sky Sanctuary does look very cool in action. They've reimagined it very well.

I don't have time to watch the whole thing, but I did spot that a form of Marble Garden's spinning tops make a cameo in SS!