Sonic 4 Episode 2 Not to Come until 2012

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Re: Sonic 4 Episode 2 Not to Come until 2012

Post by FlashTHD »

On the old museum page, Gibbon described the game as (more or less) a pile of bizzare ideas that don't get along very well. Very little about Chaotix seems to have been thought through, and so it really is more a novelty than anything else because it's such a mess. It's pretty, has some good music, and damn good Special Stages, but beyond that you're not missing much.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

An fleshing out of Chaotix's Special Stage would be my ideal "modern" Sonic game.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Chaotix's music is a dream.

Back in the day the title screen with the 5 main playable characters felt like it had 50 playable characters. Since each previous release had one or two new characters, it was shocking to see 4 new characters each with their own powers.

But then you play the levels and it falls apart.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I like the graphics and music quite a bit in Chaotix. Too bad the actual game, like gr4yJ4Y said, falls apart as soon as you actually play it.

I actually didn't care much for the Special Stages. It's way too easy to fall off to your death due to the cheap design at times, and the angles are jerky.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

The only aspect of Chaotix I really enjoyed were the graphics in general.

The rubber band-physics weren't too bad once I had gotten used to them and could control them to some extent. In fact, I almost wish it had been improved to the point where it'd be simple to use and wouldn't necessitate the need for characters that can climb/fly/whatever. But the level design doesn't lend itself to that sort of experimentation, which is a shame.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Also liked Chaotix's music, but I can't help feeling it doesn't really blend with the other classic ones'. It's overall "tamer" or something, like it sounds like the work of a very good videogame music composer, instead of a musician's work, like Masato Nakamura's. I think I have the same problem with many of CD's tracks (both soundtracks). Or maybe it's just a matter of styles.

By the way, CD takes place after 1 and before 2. It recycles Sonic 1's sprites, Tails doesn't show up in the game's main story, and as for Metal Sonic being superior to both Mecha Sonics, it could be succinctly explained in that Eggman put all of his genius and devotion into creating Metal in CD, while both Mechas were side-projects, diversions to his new project, the Death Egg. Then, in Chaotix, after being done with the Newtrogic High Zone thing, he patches up Metal's remains, as he was able to recover the most important pieces.

Then comes the Adventure games, Adventure 2 and the Advances' stupid contradictions and everything, Heroes, Shadow, and the whole series finally dies with Naka's departure from Sonic Team and the release of Sonic 2006. End of story. Everything else is what I like to call "official fanwork".

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Sadly, that "official fanwork" you speak of is regarded by just about everybody and their mother as better than Heroes and Shadow, to say nothing of Sonic '06. You could also make a strong case that the series' recent titles are better than both Adventure games. Personally, I thought Sonic's gameplay was just about perfect in Adventure in terms of control and level design, and still pretty good in Adventure 2, though everything else was just a tedious diversion to get to the last stories. I consider Adventure to be especially guilty of this, since we have to go through the adventure fields, bosses, minigames, and cutscenes for freakin' everybody.

What were the contradictions between Adventure 2 and the Advance titles? Aside from the battle on the Moon in Advance 1, I mean.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Wombatwarlord777 wrote:You could also make a strong case that the series' recent titles are better than both Adventure games.
No, i'm afraid in this community one can only make long and unpleasant arguments about the subject.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

emphasis on unpleasant.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Wombatwarlord777 wrote:What were the contradictions between Adventure 2 and the Advance titles? Aside from the battle on the Moon in Advance 1, I mean.
I meant Adventure 2's contradictions with Adventure 1 regarding the Chaos Emerald that was awarded to Tails for protecting Station Square. There may be more.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Re:

Post by Frieza2000 »

Isuka wrote:I meant Adventure 2's contradictions with Adventure 1 regarding the Chaos Emerald that was awarded to Tails for protecting Station Square.
Well, you know how people are about losing those things. And after you defeat the dragon they all get flung into the special stage half the time and can't be used until the next year's game anyway.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Latest trailer for the Sonic CD re-release.

"See where the Sonic 4 saga began"? Huh? Did I miss something? Is Sonic CD supposed to be Sonic 4: Episode Zero now?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I think they're trying to make Metal Sonic the main antagonist of Episode 2 and 3. But it's still shit marketing to try to tie their crappy game into a better one that's mostly unrelated.

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

You can get the Sonic CD remake now on tablets when you buy a tablet from Gamestop. This particular version of the game has Tails as an unlockable character after beating it the first time.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

It's kind of hard to interpret, but I think the unlock is available on all versions.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Is amazing how 3D games get rushed and 2D games get delayed... and the emerald that Tails got as a reward is supposed to be fake or something... wasn't it a fake newspaper article to trick Eggman or something? Now I am confused...

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Arcade wrote:I am confused...

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

In case anyone is still paying attention, the first trailer for S4:E2 is due for release tomorrow.

Emperor Omochao

Post by Emperor Omochao »

Teaser trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KhMsQij8H0

Fingers crossed for the return of time travel. Plus wondering if the trailer is hinting that Sonic & Tails will have some sort of Sonic Advance 3-style combo move?

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

The combo move might very well just be the trailer-maker doing something interesting. I seriously doubt there will be time travel, at least as a gameplay mechanic.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaH3Uwke ... re=related

Apparently Sega have listened to a lot of the complaints about Episode I. According to Ken there will be a brand new graphics engine, a brand new physics engine, and the "unrolling" has been fixed. Hopefully Sonic won't have the acceleration of a tank either.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

(...)

Post by (...) »

Crazy Penguin wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaH3Uwke ... re=related

Apparently Sega have listened to a lot of the complaints about Episode I. According to Ken there will be a brand new graphics engine, a brand new physics engine, and the "unrolling" has been fixed. Hopefully Sonic won't have the acceleration of a tank either.
So...

In spite of both Dimps and Sonic Team being in production on Generations, they found the time to write a new graphics engine, a new physics engine, AND they can now port to Android as well as iOS and the HD consoles?

Methinks they're using Christian Whitehead's engine for Episode 2.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

No WiiWare version.. that's a good sign! Must mean the Wii can't handle the graphics.

It's a little early to tell, but I think Episode 2 will be a lot better than Episode 1. The fact that they aren't re-hashing old levels this time makes me optimistic.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Thats pretty fucked up of them to release episode 1 on wii but not episode 2. Jess sayin.