Sonic Generations

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Re: Sonic Generations

Post by P.P.A. »

I'm not sure if I approve of all of the liberties they took with Stardust Speedway (the part within a building/complex with the lot of vents in particular, as well as the absence of the iconic Eggman statue in the shots available, not to mention the doctor himself) but I must admit that all in all, this shapes up to be better than expected. SS isn't bad, and CPZ—this coming from someone who doesn't really like the Zone (or the game)—looks very good.
…this makes it even sadder that they only remade 3 Zones and 1 Round from the Mega Drive games and wasted the rest of their talent on modern stuff nobody wants.

As for Tails, god, how could I ever have despised such an adorable fellow?! His classic design is still so infinitely superior!

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

P.P.A. wrote: …this makes it even sadder that they only remade 3 Zones and 1 Round from the Mega Drive games and wasted the rest of their talent on modern stuff nobody wants.
That's pretty much the general vibe. At least the game is coming out. More than you can say for another blue mascot.

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

P.P.A. wrote:...As for Tails, god, how could I ever have despised such an adorable fellow?! His classic design is still so infinitely superior!
What what what? How could you indeed!
I think they got classic Tails spot on. As far as the classic design looking better, when looking at the two renders side-by-side, I agree.

That being said, I also don't see much difference, really. Blue irises and a slightly longer body? Hasn't it been said that Tails was one of the characters to change the least from classic to modern? I think that's borne out here.

As an aside, long-muzzled classic Tails always looked weird to me. I'm glad that's not part of the design.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

If you want 2D, just stick to the 3DS version.

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

Have there been any renders released of classic Robotnik or Amy of which I've missed?

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:Never noticed that his ankle belts were cyan before.
The current Sonic fandom in a nutshell here, folks.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

My shame in not examining anthropomorphic foxes more astutely knows no bounds.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

MiraiTails wrote: That being said, I also don't see much difference, really. Blue irises and a slightly longer body? Hasn't it been said that Tails was one of the characters to change the least from classic to modern? I think that's borne out here.
The shape of the mouth and nose are made to make Classic look younger. The proportions are completely different and the color scheme has changed a little. But I think the real kicker of what makes Tails' classic design better is in the slightly sad, youthful eyes. He's just happy to be there and has experienced hardship in other parts of his life.

By comparison the modern design makes him look mature, 1-dimensional, and boring.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=157338

this is a nice looking anniversary toy but my god, is this a hybrid of modern and classic? If so, is it a hint as to what we're to expect by the end of this game? Some kind of universes merging deal where we're left with the best of both worlds?

(...)

Post by (...) »

Radrappy wrote:http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=157338

this is a nice looking anniversary toy but my god, is this a hybrid of modern and classic? If so, is it a hint as to what we're to expect by the end of this game? Some kind of universes merging deal where we're left with the best of both worlds?
If they can find a way of merging the gameplay styles, then I'd be up for that.

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

That's.. actually not a half bad look. Perhaps they're revving up for a design change.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Maybe, just maybe, this toy is supposed to represent Sonic in his... adolescence. He sort of looks like a lanky teenager anyways. Maybe we'll see him featured in the Dreamcast-era stages.

So, apparently one of the signs of hedgehog puberty are the onset of colorful irises. I am constantly learning fascinating new things from this game!

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

And I am trying to resist the urge to beat my head on a wall after reading the last four posts. Yes, let's canonize something so trivial as completely different character designs and then mash them together with a car crusher at the end of the game, so none of our fans will be happy with the result (and/or each other). I believe the term is "lateral move".

Or, maybe I want to hit head wall because, it seems, Sega has either lost all grasp of quality control or shame, and will do anything.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

quality control? Looks like a mighty fine figure to me.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I played this at Comic-con! They had a unit set up at the Archie booth.

Nothing super interesting to report. It might just be my imagination, but it felt like the framerate was much more solid than the demo. And I got to play the modern Sonic GHZ for the first time. It was pretty much exactly like you would expect... Sonic Unleashed gameplay in a slightly more interesting and forgiving environment. I fell down a few times into areas that had platforming in them... although never anything as thorough as, say, Sonic Colours.

I talked to Aaron Webber at the booth for awhile. He seemed like a nice guy, with a good sense of humour about the series' ups and downs, and the kind of ludicrously extensive knowledge about the franchise and its creators that only a fan would have. He gave me a set of Sonic buttons because I was wearing my blue hedgehog shirt... I pointed out that it wasn't a "real" official Sonic shirt, and also that I was actually the one who made and sold them (*cough*), but he just told me to keep it up. (I guess he has probably seen them around before.) So now I've been informally endorsed by both him AND Naka! FEELS GOOD

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

I don't think that figure is meant to be a mixture of Classic and Modern Sonic. I think it's just a "chibi" figure of Modern Sonic.

I have a theory on how the boss battles might play out. In JSRF, you could switch characters in the middle of a level. When doing so, a brief in-game cutscene would play, showing your character tossing a spray-can into the air, then another character catching it.

Perhaps during each boss, you switch back and forth between Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic. Hit the boss a few times as Classic, then a brief cutscene shows up, showing Modern Sonic running by, saying something stupid like "TIME FOR ME TO JOIN THE PARTY" then it switches to a 3D perspective for Modern Sonic to play in. Rinse, repeat.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

from the segabits aaron webber interview:
Classic Tails has recently been shown alongside of a modern model. Since we now have classic Sonic and classic Tails, will we bee seeing classic representations of other characters?

Aaron – For the most part, classic Sonic and classic Tails are the only one’s you’re gonna see. There’s not much I can go into after that but stay tuned. Classic Sonic and Classic Tails fans should be pleased
No classic knuckles? Oh, here go hell come.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

That was just a fancy no comment. Classic Knuckles and Amy are almost certainly going to be in it.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Don't forget classic Eggman. He was seen on the signpost in Classic Sonic's Green Hill, pretty much confirming that he'll be in the game.

If they went through the trouble to recreate Stardust Speedway just for the Metal Sonic fight, then I have no doubt Classic Amy will appear too.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

You sure? Classic Eggman was supposed to appear in Stardust Speedway too, but they swapped his laser for a collapsing floor. We'll only be seeing him in the Death Egg fight and a few cutscenes if we're lucky. They could skimp on classic Amy with ease.

Classic Knuckles' role in Sky Sanctuary was equally brief and trivial. He's a goner for sure.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

I would not really miss a Classic Knuckles, as he underwent the smallest design changes between the Saturn era and Sonic Adventure. Other than his shoes and his pupils, his looks remained largely the same. Classic Amy on the other hand I wish to see return no matter what. o n o

Also, screens of Modern CPZ, I must say it looks truly splendid: http://www.andriasang.com/e/galleries/2 ... 0_screens/

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

P.P.A. wrote:I would not really miss a Classic Knuckles, as he underwent the smallest design changes between the Saturn era and Sonic Adventure. Other than his shoes and his pupils, his looks remained largely the same
wrongo

He looks like complete dog shit now. I would love to see classic knuckles return.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

What exactly are you seeing that's changed so much other than the coloured eyes and longer body and legs that are common to all the modern versions of the characters? The squarer shoes?

That's not even a particularly good-looking version of old Knuckles considering the weird angle of the nose.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

What was so appealing about the classic designs of the three main characters (tails, knuckles, sonic) was the specific shape language. That is to say,

sonic - circle
tails - square
Knuckles - triangle

http://classiccartoonreviews.blogspot.c ... heets.html

They were reflective of their personalities to a point and looked beautifully recognizable in any silhouette.

The modern knuckles design we have now has done away with that triangle motif entirely. His snout has been shortened, his body elongated, his skull rounded to the point where he hardly retains any of what made him so radically different from sonic in the first place. They also have decided to bluntly blow up the size of his fists. The Sonic Adventure design isn't quite as bad, but what we have now is completely trash.
for you <3

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Classic Robotnik is obviously the deciding point of whether to buy this game or not.