A Dream

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

A Dream

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Last night I dreamt about zombie monkeys.

They were smallish, I guess some kind of capuchins or something. They weren't malicious brain-eating zombie monkeys. They just kind of sat there in the trees, decomposing. I distinctly remember saying to noone inparticular that they have no fear of people because they have no consciousness. It was some kind of postmortem nervous reaction. It was a well-known phenomenon, but scientists had yet to figure out why it happened.

In the same dream, I watched a nature documentary on a TV that showed a dead monkey breaking out of an urn or something (why anyone would put a dead monkey in an urn is not a detail my subconscious bothered to flesh out). Someone, possibly my boss, was taking a break from studying the zombie monkeys to sit on a bench and enjoy the breeze and blossoms. I asked him if the smell of putrefying monkey flesh bothered him, and he was like "Yeah, but it can't be helped." They had flies all around them and everything.

It was actually pretty awesome and I'm trying to figure out how I can repeat it. I had off-brand mabodofu and bean sprouts for supper, but I have that alot and it never resulted in zombie monkey dreams before. Any suggestions?

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Re: A Dream

Post by P.P.A. »

Turn on the heater and wrap yourself into a thick layer of bedsheets. If I ever forget to turn off my heater at night and it gets too warm, I immediately get the most bizarre of dreams (and then wake up bathed in sweat, dizzy, and completely disorientated).

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Invent a monkey zombie virus so your dream becomes a living nightmare.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I asked him if the smell of putrefying monkey flesh bothered him, and he was like "Yeah, but it can't be helped."
You have either been in Japan too long or just the right amount.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

What a coincidence. Last night I dreamed about a vampire vampire bat.

See, some smart-ass vampires wanted to see what would happen if they turned a vampire bat into a vampire and got a vampire^2 bat. South America was cleaned of basically all livestock within about 2 months by a small bat that could, at will, transform into a tiny brown man with patchy bits of hair and a nose shaped like a shovel who was narcoleptic and had a foot fetish.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Last night I dreamed I was with some friends at a grocery store trying to buy a 99 cent coffee. But to get the coffee (which was unremarkable) I also had to buy a newspaper, and I was scrambling to get enough change out of my pockets. Because I was naked, it is miraculous that I had any at all. "I have money," I swore, "it's just not on me." My friends were already out of the checkout line and there was a good chance they were going to leave me if I didn't hurry. I left the coffee and just ran for it. We all jumped in a car and drove off, because we we'd just pulled off a diamond heist. An exciting car chase ensued, but we were just about to get away by driving through a building, when we hit a police barricade. We backed up (still in the building) and took a different turn, but we came across a gaping chasm. From the ceiling, over the chasm, there were brightly colored "ropes," which I knew to be the tongues of creatures like the Barnacle enemies in Half Life. Dozens of children, dogs, horses, and other animals stood on the other side, with the ropes wrapped around their necks. They began jumping into the chasm, hanging themselves.

Happy Wednesday, everyone!

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Green Gibbon! wrote:I asked him if the smell of putrefying monkey flesh bothered him, and he was like "Yeah, but it can't be helped."
Hahaha, Awesome. He actually said "しかたがない," right? To guess the the whole thing: "そうですけど、しかたがない、な?”

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

G.Silver wrote:My friends were already out of the checkout line and there was a good chance they were going to leave me if I didn't hurry.
I often find myself in a similar situation in dreams, where I'm going to be left behind if I don't get myself out of some absurd situation I'd never be in irl. I guess it's pretty self-explanatory as to what it means though.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Once I had a panic attack in a dream. Actually, I guess it would be more accurate to say that I had a panic attack as a result of the dream, because I woke up half way through and it kept on going until I calmed down.

Unlike a "real-life" panic attack, which are generally pretty traumatic, it was fairly easy to get over once I realised what had happened. The dream itself was actually pretty unremarkable, which is probably why it was easy to get over. But at the time it seemed overwhelmingly stressful. It took place in the context of my Oxford interview, so already I was in a high stakes environment (I did actually get an interview with Oxford in real life, but didn't get an offer, unsurprisingly). Most of the dream took place on the city streets, which in the dream were a lot narrower and a lot steeper than in real life. There was also a market going on, so lots of densely packed tents punctuated by long gaps of wide empty space (resulting in a highly claustrophobic experience). And the final nail in the coffin: a disgusting sandwich. Mayonnaise is apparently my kryptonite, because after a few bites while struggling up the steep, stressful hill I collapsed, assumed the foetal position and started hyperventilating.

Maybe it means I want to shag my parents.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Crisis wrote:Maybe it means I want to shag my parents.
Doesn't everybody?

Want to shag your parents, I mean.

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I'd shag Crisis's parents.
Crisis wrote:Once I had a panic attack in a dream. Actually, I guess it would be more accurate to say that I had a panic attack as a result of the dream, because I woke up half way through and it kept on going until I calmed down.

Unlike a "real-life" panic attack, which are generally pretty traumatic, it was fairly easy to get over once I realized what had happened.
I had a dream where I don't remember the contents of the dream, but just the feeling. It woke me in a cold sweat. I was drenched in my bed. And this was in winter with the house at only around 63 F. I wanted to stay awake just out of fear that I'd go back to whatever had happened in my dream.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

When I get the "getting left behind while I fumble with some mundane task" dream, it's always tying my shoes.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

I don't think I've had the left behind while fumbling dream before, I didn't know it was a thing people had (like the one where all your teeth fall out). It was a pretty minor part of my dream, but the whole thing was more vivid than any I've had in a while. I wonder if it is significant?

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I'd guess it means you're worried about wasting your time with things you have to do and missing out on the things that you want to do. These mundane things are keeping you from being social, but you're stuck doing them. Not only are you missing out on some fun stuff, but you're watching your life pass by.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Man, you folks sure have some awesome/weird dreams. All I get are flashes of future events (which I promptly forget about until they happen), like doing or hearing something specific. And the rare ones where I'm being chased by something. Brrrrr.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

gr4yJ4Y wrote:I'd guess it means you're worried about wasting your time with things you have to do and missing out on the things that you want to do. These mundane things are keeping you from being social, but you're stuck doing them. Not only are you missing out on some fun stuff, but you're watching your life pass by.
That is pretty much what I was thinking, but I didn't want to make a post implying that I was miserable on a subconscious level. :(

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

G.Silver wrote:
gr4yJ4Y wrote:I'd guess it means you're worried about wasting your time with things you have to do and missing out on the things that you want to do. These mundane things are keeping you from being social, but you're stuck doing them. Not only are you missing out on some fun stuff, but you're watching your life pass by.
That is pretty much what I was thinking, but I didn't want to make a post implying that I was miserable on a subconscious level. :(
That came out a lot darker than I intended it to. Look we've all got problems and you had a fear pop into your mind for a moment while you slept. You said it only happened once. So it's not like it's necessarily a re-occurring feeling. It was just a fleeting fear.

I've had these kinds of dreams multiple times. And I'm sure if I didn't worry about this thing, I'd worry about something else. I'm okay with it. ...which actually makes me worry about it less.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

I dreamed the plot of Thor a couple years ago while I was sleeping in the loft of the printing studio I was interning at. I realized this halfway through the film and had wicked deja vu.

It was probably just my brain fucking with me.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

In my case, it might just be because I was the last person in my kindergarten class to learn how to tie my shoes. Shit scarred me.

Incidentally, I only just learned how to tie a tie a month ago. Seriously. I have been using clip-ons and zipper ties until now.

Do you guys ever get the dream where you're stuck in some uncomfortable position and/or doing some monotonous task but no matter how much you struggle you can't seem to move or break away from it?

Bo
Drano Master

Post by Bo »

A couple times a month I dream that I've just woken up in an uncomfortable position and can't move anything but my eyes. Sleep paralysis, Wikipedia calls it. Usually there's also something going on, like wind blowing out the windows or someone breaking into my room. It used to freak me out, but now I just wait for it to end.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

That happened to me a couple of times when I was in college, but it's been years. I've read that it's supposed to be terrifying, but I always thought it was kind of cool. Sounds are pretty scary, though.

Blount

Post by Blount »

A few years ago, I had this recurring dream where I couldn't run, no matter how hard I tried. I always felt really heavy (like, I was practically glued to the ground) and struggled to move, and people in the dream would look at me and make fun of my situation.

I think that may have had something to do with stress and anxiety. I never had the same dream again after I got a new job, and I hated my old one more than anything else at the time.

Now I often dream that I can either fly or slide along the ground. It happens a lot with going down stairs too; I stop moving my feet and then slide from step to step. I'm not sure what's up with that, but it always feels really neat!

I may have problems.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Blount wrote:A few years ago, I had this recurring dream where I couldn't run, no matter how hard I tried. I always felt really heavy (like, I was practically glued to the ground) and struggled to move, and people in the dream would look at me and make fun of my situation.
That happened to me a few times, where I'd be stuck running like I was treading deep water or walking on the moon, usually while men with guns were coming after me. With each step, I'd have to launch myself off the ground with all of my weight just to get anywhere or I'd wind up floundering my legs in midair. Kind of fun, actually!

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Bo wrote:A couple times a month I dream that I've just woken up in an uncomfortable position and can't move anything but my eyes. Sleep paralysis, Wikipedia calls it. Usually there's also something going on, like wind blowing out the windows or someone breaking into my room. It used to freak me out, but now I just wait for it to end.
That happened to me once. I had fallen asleep with my blanket over my face and then "woke up". I heard the door open and close. Then I felt a small animal jump up onto my chest. I thought that my sister must've brought her cat over and someone let it into my room. But then I felt human hands reach from the animal to my neck as if threatening to choke me. I shook myself awake and haven't had that kind of dream since.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Do you guys ever get the dream where you're stuck in some uncomfortable position and/or doing some monotonous task but no matter how much you struggle you can't seem to move or break away from it?
I used to work at a deli and several times I'd dream that I was at work and be stuck at a slicer cutting meat; the dream just wouldn't advance beyond that. Meanwhile in real life I was on my back flailing my arms in the air, tossing the covers around as though it were the equivalent action to what I was dreaming, and it would eventually wake me up. It was pretty annoying. When I became a programmer I was worried that I'd be seeing code in my sleep but it's never happened.