Sonic Generations

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
cjmcray

Sonic Generations

Post by cjmcray »

Two Spanish websites, ZonaRed.com and then Sonic focused Sonic Paradise, report EuroDNS, S.A. have registered SonicGenerations.com. An alternate domain, Sonic-Generations.com, has also been registered through the agency.

Why is this important? EuroDNS in the past have registered for Sega the Sonic Free Riders domain, and the Sonic 4 domain, Sonicthehedgehog4.com, was transferred over to the company shortly after we uncovered its registration in January 2010. From there, it is easy to deduce EuroDNS is similarly handling such housekeeping for the next Sonic title.
http://www.tssznews.com/2011/04/04/repo ... d-to-sega/
The first specific mention of Sonic Generations may not have necessarily happened this afternoon when domain names were found. It may have occurred in a place few would expect.

Spanish website Sonic Paradise learned today the latest edition of Spain based Hobby Consolas magazine made the first mention in its Q&A section in its latest issue, and the website has a scan for your review. A reader asked about any future Sonic, Panzer Dragoon, and Clockwork Knight titles in the pipeline. Only Sonic was singled out, and that’s where Sonic Generations was first namedropped.

The magazine evidently singled out the XBOX 360 as a confirmed console, but to be clear, that does not mean this will be exclusive to the system as far as we’re aware.

Sega has remained silent on the matter. We will bring you more as it becomes available. If you know something regarding Sonic Generations and can prove it, we urge you to contact us via our News Tips system.
http://www.tssznews.com/2011/04/04/soni ... -magazine/

Discuss.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Re: Sonic Generations

Post by Ritz »

That someone out there was thoughtful and cultured enough to mention Clockwork Knight by name is most titillating tidbit by far.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Hobby Consolas published a few, very nice Sonic pics by Eva Richarte Prieto, the girl who made that one funny Sonic Adventure comic adaptation.

And something tells me they'll try to come up with something like this.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Sonic the Hedgehog Facebook page wrote:There's something big coming this week to this very page…
Sonic the Hedgehog Facebook page wrote:Sonic's 20th Anniversary is this year, but SEGA start celebrating on Thurs 7th April - and you'll only find out how here on Facebook!
Looks like we'll have some kind of news in a couple of days.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

They're running out of titles. Hopefully they start to revisit established games like Colors or Unleashed (not that I want an Unleashed 2) to give better the impression that the franchise isn't completely flailing around.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Radrappy wrote:They're running out of titles. Hopefully they start to revisit established games like Colors or Unleashed (not that I want an Unleashed 2) to give better the impression that the franchise isn't completely flailing around.
Too late. My first thought at this (besides "what the fuck, TSSZ news link, don't you people know better") was "welp, that time of the year again".

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Are we doing this again? I guess we're doing this again. They can do whatever the hell they want with Sonic as long as they stay away from Panzer Dragoon. Better to not put ideas in their heads by asking about it.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

At least they're not wasting any time.

Right?

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

If this game really does follows the rumored "old levels remade" concept, I hope Hydrocity, the Death Egg Boss from Sonic & Knuckles and The Doomsday Zone are featured.
FlashTHD wrote:what the fuck, TSSZ news link, don't you people know better
Why does TSSZ get so much hate? Yeah, some of their "news" stories, Like Kuta's fan-film debacle and the feud between TSSZ and TSS are kinda silly, and now and then the site admin makes an article that is really more of a rant on his site's detractors, but for the most part, TSSZ covers interesting news stories regarding Sonic and are among the first to reveal when a new Sonic game comes out.

(No Imagination)

Post by (No Imagination) »

"Generations"...? ... maybe there will be "old Sonic" stages and "new Sonic" stages, kind of like Unleashed, except with Black Eye Sonic instead of a werewolf creature.

That or Sonic Jr.

Edit: ...or, most likely now that I think about it, a sort of best-level compilation.

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

So what levels would people like to see recreated? Which are the "best?" I really have no eye for Sonic level design...

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Sonic Facebook wrote:BRAND NEW TRAILER COMING TOMORROW ONLY ON SONIC'S FACEBOOK! Be sure to come back tomorrow to check it out!
Whether this is a game trailer or just a general 20th anniversary thing remains to be seen.

I really hope this isn't a game of remake levels. That would just be extremely lazy and pointless. The classic games hold up really well so is there any point in remaking levels from them? Including 1 or 2 classic levels is one thing but a whole game would be overkill. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if the rumor does turn out true.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Gaz wrote:Whether this is a game trailer or just a general 20th anniversary thing remains to be seen.
I am fully expecting a mash up of clips of Sonic "changing through the years", complete with random Sonic 2 Beta sprite, year counter starting at 1991 and culminating at 2011 with a rehash of the horrible flash animation of Sonic running and jumping on enemies used as official promotion for Sonic 4, generic one-liners about "speed" and "blue" and "millions of units sold worldwide" popping up on the center of the screen along with "thump" sound effects and no actual new footage of anything at all.

Or I could be wrong. Depends on if they read this post and spend the whole night cobbling up something else in order to not, well, look embarrassing!

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I think it would be interesting to see a new 3D Sonic based on classic level concepts, but any sort of remake (even like the GHZ in SA2) is not really something I'd care about.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Really? Not even Spring Yard Zone? :grin:

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

TSSZ News can write a lot about two words being obscurely mentioned together.

As for zones, I want to see a full remake of Marble Garden. No excess or high expectations, just plain grass with a bit of digging mixed with some Toejam and Earl drums.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

There is no way they could possibly mess that one up. No way. No way.

No way?

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Not even Spring Yard Zone!

I would love to see it revisited in 3D, but not the way they did the GHZ in SA2, or in high res 2D, or in 2.5D, or anything like that. ....Well, maybe if it were exceptionally gorgeous.

I'm assuming you're picking at Spring Yard because you know it's my favorite! But (ok, bait taken), I do think it's one that could really benefit in interesting ways from being adapted to a 3D environment, like making all the half-pipes 3D "pits" like a skate park. There could be grindable surfaces around the edges, and then you have the spike balls moving around on the inside, just those shapes alone are something I don't think they've really explored yet (at least not in any of the games I bothered to play). Or you could stretch them out into massive, walled tracks (something a bit like this) like the second area in Emerald Coast, or even something resembling the Sonic 2 bonus stage. That kind of duality of the flat areas and straight ramps plus the discrete curved areas is part of what makes Spring Yard really work for me, it's not as intensely bouncy and out of control as other pinball-type levels, it owes more to traditional 2D platformers (consider its wealth of moving platforms). Plus there's all those vertical elements, and the park-like environment might lend itself towards a more Twinkle Park-like layout, which we all know is classic, effective 3D level design. So all the more reason, I'd like to see a new Spring Yard in 3D, because I think a straight remake is a waste of potential.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

cjmcray wrote:Why does TSSZ get so much hate? Yeah, some of their "news" stories, Like Kuta's fan-film debacle and the feud between TSSZ and TSS are kinda silly, and now and then the site admin makes an article that is really more of a rant on his site's detractors, but for the most part, TSSZ covers interesting news stories regarding Sonic and are among the first to reveal when a new Sonic game comes out.
Because the owner of the website is a louse who acts like he is above responsibility for any real-life consequences after anything he reports on (at least once he's put the employment/livelihood of people in jepoardy), and seems to subsist on whatever whiff of Sonic fansite drama he can catch wind of. This, and he's a world-class moron in general - such as that lovely time he bitched out Sonic Retro about how his job at a Fox affiliate is compromised since his Sonic news fansite got hacked, even though they didn't do it. Now... I don't know about you, but methinks people like that ought to be shunned, not given attention.

For the trailer, I think i'll place my money on Neo's prediction, as i'm pretty certain that the "old levels in Sonic Colors engine" rumor that's been swirling around was made up out of thin air (if the person that started the rumor is who I think it is).

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

FlashTHD is quite the gossip girl!

In general for this game I am more worried about the level themes rather than what they do with the artwork/style. Generally everything looks fine to me, it is just the themes they are using, such as generic city #1 - #6 in Sonic Unleashed, are dull. I want to see levels more similar to the first one in Sonic 06, Apotos in Unleashed, or that forest/mining place in Colours. Cities and Robotnik's generic machine levels are really getting old. Before those were just one level in a game, not nearly all of them.

Also GHZ in Sonic Adventure 2 looked like ass. It should look like those old Sonic commercials where everything was natural and 3D.

And I doubt they are using the Sonic Colours model for this new game. That seemed like the remains of Sonic Unleashed that were meant to replace the old story book titles they planned on spamming out on Wii in between big releases.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

SPOILER: They announce Sonic 4 Episode 2 tomorrow in the form of a teaser trailer (no more than 5 seconds of gameplay). Sonic Generations is a poorly ported collection of Sonic games for 3DS. It won't be announced until E3.

Hopefully it turns out better than that, but since this is SEGA we're talking about, that's where I'm keeping my expectations.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Locit wrote:They can do whatever the hell they want with Sonic as long as they stay away from Panzer Dragoon. Better to not put ideas in their heads by asking about it.
The series' creator is already set to pseudo-ruin it with a pseudo-sequel for Kinect. Get pumped!

But yeah, people have been begging for a 2.5D remake of the classic games for years, and I've been saying for about as long that it's a terrible idea and that they should probably drink bleach or something. All I really want from the franchise now is a proper 3D translation of the classic trilogy's mechanics and gameplay- pretty frustrating when they're already 2/3 of the way there with the Super Monkey Ball games, but a nostalgia-coaster like this isn't the sort of place they'd be willing to make the sweeping modifications necessary for that sort of thing. You know, even if they had the talent to get the job done on hand.

If I had to pick a zone though, let it be Quartz Quadrant. Great atmosphere, mediocre level design. Lots of room for improvement!

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I'd love to see springyard, hydro city (especially if the underwater mechanics are similar to those found in colors. Probably the first platforming game ever where I was actually excited to jump into the water!), mushroom hill, and lava reef. I was about to say Sky Sanctuary before realizing that that level would represent everything we've hated from the 3d games' level design for the past ten years.

(No Imagination)

Post by (No Imagination) »

I was about to say Sky Sanctuary before realizing that that level would represent everything we've hated from the 3d games' level design for the past ten years.
I'd forgive it if the rest of the stages featured no bottomless pits (the ones that originally don't, anyways), since the bottomless-ness is really Sky Sanctuary's flagship gimmick.

But damn people, it's like you're asking for disappointment when wishing for Spring Yard. Remember the pit in act 3? 50 bucks says it would've been featured prominently throughout the whole level in 3D. And slopes, skate parks, star bumpers and ramps? Judging by those games' assets, such complexity would be impossible with either Unleashed or Colors engine. At very least, the mid-air rotund floating star bumpers would mess up the homing attack something fierce in 3D because this is 21st century Sega we're talking about.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Black-eyed Sonic returns! And he looks ADORABLE!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 7&comments