Super Sonic Galaxy

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Re: Super Sonic Galaxy

Post by Radrappy »

Personally 06 is something that should never be let alone or forgotten. It's like the holocaust of the sonic franchise.

What's alarming to me is the number of people out there ("there" being other sonic communities I guess) that seem to hold the game in high regard. It's unfathomable.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

its great its just not done.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Re:

Post by FlashTHD »

Isuka wrote:So, I consider myself a "true Sonic fan", and I'm left with the following options to choose from: 1. Terrible game [horribly, laughably] commercially targeted at "my demographic", and 2. Mediocre-to-decent game targeted at young children.
Door #3: exercise some common sense and choose neither. I consider it quite easily possible to remain a Sonic fan for the good games that already exist, while being pissed with the newer releases. The fact that it's still annoying to me when new Sonic games suck is a signal that I still care to some extent.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

Kogen wrote:its great its just not done.
wrong

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

As far as I can tell from my admittedly second-hand information, '06 was both terrible and had the distinct aura of playtesters who didn't care.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

Farmer wrote:'06 was both terrible and had the distinct aura of playtesters who didn't care.
You can have play testers that write down every flaw in detail and with pictures but as long as Sega keeps these retarded development schedules, the game will suck.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Sonic 06 began development in 2003 and you are blaming management for not giving the staff enough time?

Blame Sonic Team's mothers for snorting sea salt so much.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

2003? That far back? I thought development started in 2005 (Which would explain the game's suckiness) Though In Sonic Team's defense, they were working on a couple other projects during 06's development period.

They were still putting the finishing touches on Heroes, started development on Shadow, Riders, and Secret Rings, not to mention, Unleashed's development started in 2005. (Didn't they have a hand in Rush as well? The Wikipedia page says it was only co-developed by Dimps, implying there was some involvement by Sonic Team..)

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

'Sonic Team' is just a logo they use for a variety of different teams. Shadow/Heroes was done in the US, Riders by the SEGA Rally leftover team, Rush by DIMPS, et cetera... They also keep shuffling up the main 'big game' team per game, it seems, if anyone pays attention to the credits.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Radrappy wrote:Personally 06 is something that should never be let alone or forgotten. It's like the holocaust of the sonic franchise.

What's alarming to me is the number of people out there ("there" being other sonic communities I guess) that seem to hold the game in high regard. It's unfathomable.
The level deſign was actually pretty good (albeit unplayable owing to the countleſs bugs) and probably the moſt open and—bear with me—cloſeſt to the old games of all the post-Sonic R 3D ones to date, and while the overly realiſtic ſtyle was in itſelf of courſe queſtionable, it was executed credibly as the æſthetics, (brilliant) muſic, and feel harmoniſed and even had a unique appeal to them. (Although this is ignoring the barren adventure fields and the fortunately never actually happening plot.)

To call it anything near “good” would of courſe be incomprehenſible, but it was a ſtep into the right direction. Alas, while the direction was right, it ſlipped and broke its back.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Forry, but I can't help but read all your poftf with a lifp finfe you ftarted ufing that blafted S-thing.

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

Rob-Bert wrote:Forry, but I can't help but read all your poftf with a lifp finfe you ftarted ufing that blafted S-thing.
You all see that? I thought it was Chromium goofing up.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

I thought you stopped that a while ago, PPA.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

Crowbar wrote:I thought you stopped that a while ago, PPA.
The lisp or defending Sonic 06?
P.P.A. wrote:The level deſign was actually pretty good (albeit unplayable owing to the countleſs bugs) and probably the moſt open and—bear with me—cloſeſt to the old games of all the post-Sonic R 3D ones to date, and while the overly realiſtic ſtyle was in itſelf of courſe queſtionable, it was executed credibly as the æſthetics, (brilliant) muſic, and feel harmoniſed and even had a unique appeal to them. (Although this is ignoring the barren adventure fields and the fortunately never actually happening plot.)

To call it anything near “good” would of courſe be incomprehenſible, but it was a ſtep into the right direction. Alas, while the direction was right, it ſlipped and broke its back.
I can't even understand you but I wish you'd stop going on about this. The level design is terrible. There is absolutely nothing in the "right direction" with this game aside from the music which is serviceable(it's still buttrock though). And before you accuse me of otherwise, yes I have played my share of the game.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

(All right, stopping with the long as.)

If that post is hard to understand, might be because I was almost falling asleep by the time I was writing it. The more tired I get, the more I type and the less it actually makes sense. (No, that does not mean I am permanently sleep-deprived.)

Either way, with the right direction I was referring primarily to the level design. Natural barriers like ominous time-space singularity sand and shallow waters of merciless obliteration aside, they were relatively open. More often than not there were more than one or two ways to get to the end of a segment, and the player is not even limited to choosing one route over another, but relatively free to move in whatever direction he or she pleases and find something—be it enemies for homing attacks, a rail, an alternate path, or a tricky jump—in place that allows him to proceed that way. Reminiscent of Sonic 1, Sonic CD, or Sonic R, most levels didn’t feel like they were a specifically designed obstacle courses, but rather credible, wholesome environments through which the player traverses.
The often exorbitant length of the stages was a problem, but one that could have been easily avoided by simply splitting every stage into multiple Acts (using the loading times as a separation) that are individually accessible after beating the game. There is also more emphasise on platforming and less on running for the sake of running (the mach speed segments excluded, obviously). Again, this helped to make the settings feel more natural—and also more diverse. While in Unleashed or Colors quite often you just run and do nothing else, in 06 you were almost always jumping, avoiding something, destroying robots, and interacting with the environment.

(Ironically, it’s the countless glitches and half-implemented mechanics that allowed me to appreciate the stages by enabling me to realise their vastness.)

In terms of story, it was complete nonsense, and in terms of æsthetics it was very un-Sonic, but it did a pretty decent job at what it tried in that regard. The worlds did feel quite authentic and complete (as opposed to for example Sonic Adventure 2’s weightlessly floating, twisting and looping highways or Sonic Unleashed’s sometimes very prop-like environments that didn’t make you believe they extended beyond what you could see of them). Although, having played and beaten Sonic Colors now, I’m glad to see it having achieved this to an appealing extent as well.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

ominous time-space singularity sand

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

You fall right through it and die. What else is it?

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Very quicksand?

CM August

Post by CM August »

Well, I thought a lot of the music was great at least. Buttrock? Hardly.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

G.Silver wrote:Very quicksand?
Myth Busters proved that quicksand does not work, it has to be what PPA called.

Either that or some garbage textures over a bottomless pit.

As for the music, it seems rather typical of every game since then. I think it is kind of boring - be it this game or Sonic Colors - but at least it is not just Jun now. I am really hoping the next game has some new artists doing music.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

For those of us living in the USA, I just found a gorgeous Sonic Colors poster at Wal*Mart last night.
The artwork is amazing. Puts the Mario Galaxy 2 poster to shame.

Finally. A full-size Sonic poster that isn't some tiny fold-out found in a gaming mag.. if you can't find it at Wal*Mart, there's always Amazon..

http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Colors-Cove ... B0042FHQTW

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

So, I have asked this before but... Wii or DS version? I cant buy both...

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

Arcade wrote:So, I have asked this before but... Wii or DS version? I cant buy both...
As I'm sure you're aware, they hardly have anything to do with eachother gameplay wise. If you liked sonic rush you'll probably enjoy the DS version just fine.

But everyone here knows the wii version is the only one worth giving a rat's ass about. It's the first 3d game since SA1 to deliver a consistently enjoyable and polished gaming experience(most of the time anyway). And despite what SA2/06 apologists will claim, there's a reason the game has only really received one negative review thus far because for most people it has planted a seed of hope for the future of the franchise. That's worth checking out, right?

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Radrappy wrote:But everyone here knows the wii version is the only one worth giving a rat's ass about.
Bite me.
And despite what SA2/06 apologists will claim, there's a reason the game has only really received one negative review thus far because for most people it has planted a seed of hope for the future of the franchise. That's worth checking out, right?
I explained very clearly the litany of bullshit that one would be likely to find annoying and/or a serious impediment to enjoyment while playing this version. Now, you're welcome to take his word but somehow I don't think "majority wins, booyah" tells people anything.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Radrappy wrote:And despite what SA2/06 apologists will claim
Now, I haven't yet had a chance to try out Wii's Colors, but this is just wrong. You simply can't put these two titles on the same level. There's a number of things in Adventure 2 that are simply wrong, and they just get worse in 06 (and Shadow the Hedgehog before it), but it was definitely a good yet unfocused game, and even if you dislike it (and you totally can, the shooting stages still don't grow on me and it could have at least featured a majority of high-speed action stages like Adventure 1) it's still most definitely not a huge, embarrassing mess of buggy code that cannot in good conscience be called a game.