Super Sonic Galaxy

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Re: Super Sonic Galaxy

Post by Radrappy »

Actually you know, sonic 2 wasn't like, even that good. There were spikes and stuff that would get in your way.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I know it's an hilarious and relevant troll but FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK YOUUUUUUUU

Emperor Omochao

Post by Emperor Omochao »

Why why why is the Wii version getting this much attention when the DS version is the real long awaited 'comeback'? I'm not sure if there ever will be an Amazing 3D Sonic game, could it not just be that it plain belongs to 2D only? I got thinking about this after watching the youtube footage on the Wii version and thinking, it's just not 'a Sonic game' to me anymore. In fact Sonic Adventure is the only 3D example I say still feels like a Sonic game? What do I mean by this? I'm not exactly sure...

Right now I'm assuming that because the Wii version is getting debated, that you all feel the DS version speaks for itself.

Is it the best Sonic game since S3&K or do I sound overly optmistic/insane?

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

ImageImageImage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O848gqPoj-U

Sonic Colors DS is a really good game!

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

What, no Chip?

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

The option of skipping cutscenes IS an excellent thing, to be fair.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Good thing Cheese didn't combine with the Wisps.

That kind of shit could destroy the universe.

Emperor Omochao

It must be a good game if the only 'issue' are cutscenes which can be skipped. Especially considering that if the old Sonic games were released today they would most likely have similar cheesy cutscenes. Every scene in S3&K where Knuckles fends Sonic off would have had an equally cheesy dialogue if it were released now instead of then.

All of these cameos are only for extra missions- bonus play (a very nice feature). Kinda misleading to suggest this game revolves Silver, Cream etc. when it doesn't.

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

Emperor Omochao wrote:It must be a good game if the only 'issue' are cutscenes which can be skipped.
Unfortunately, I've come across people elsewhere who worship the likes of Yahtzee, whos' mini-review of Colours could be pretty much summed up to "It has cutscenes, therefore it sucks."
Emperor Omochao wrote:Especially considering that if the old Sonic games were released today they would most likely have similar cheesy cutscenes. Every scene in S3&K where Knuckles fends Sonic off would have had an equally cheesy dialogue if it were released now instead of then.
The man speaks sense.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

Could the proponents of the DS version be more specific? Why is it so much of a "comeback"? I played the demo, and it was very enjoyable, but it seemed like Rush Adventure with some new focus on powerups. Not like a massive revival or something, just more of the better parts of the franchise.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

K2J wrote:Could the proponents of the DS version be more specific? Why is it so much of a "comeback"? I played the demo, and it was very enjoyable, but it seemed like Rush Adventure with some new focus on powerups. Not like a massive revival or something, just more of the better parts of the franchise.
Like I've said before, Rush and Rush Adventure were pretty good, but I need more than more of the same to come back to the Sonic DS games. So what makes Colors DS so special?

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

gr4yJ4Y wrote:
K2J wrote:Could the proponents of the DS version be more specific? Why is it so much of a "comeback"? I played the demo, and it was very enjoyable, but it seemed like Rush Adventure with some new focus on powerups. Not like a massive revival or something, just more of the better parts of the franchise.
Like I've said before, Rush and Rush Adventure were pretty good, but I need more than more of the same to come back to the Sonic DS games. So what makes Colors DS so special?
Somewhat better level design, and well...that's about it, other than neat special stages.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Ok, maybe that's not quite fair. Colors DS just seems more replayable than the previous two without getting old as fast. Unlike the Wii game's shit level design, even when you're missing wisps there's still a substantial amount of level you can reach without them...or at least it leaves that impression. It also lets you play the vs. mode stages alone against a (suprisingly challenging) AI bot, which can't hurt. And there seem to be quite a few vs. stages. Furthermore, you get to unlock concept art by (I think) collecting the red rings, something I don't believe the Wii game even bothered with.

Still Sonic Rush, which I am also sick to death of, but more polished would be the term, I guess.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

FlashTHD wrote:Furthermore, you get to unlock concept art by (I think) collecting the red rings, something I don't believe the Wii game even bothered with.
I'd rather unlock new levels than concept art.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

I do not get what is wrong with concept art.

It is all well done and relates to my interests in speghetti worship.

(And yes, that is in the game.)

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

What in fresh hell is that?

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

It's in the video that Ritz linked, if you guys felt like actually watching it.

Spoiler warning, though.

Emperor Omochao

Locit wrote:
FlashTHD wrote:Furthermore, you get to unlock concept art by (I think) collecting the red rings, something I don't believe the Wii game even bothered with.
I'd rather unlock new levels than concept art.
I think you get new levels in some of the missions. Need to check this though. If treated as part of the Rush series, then it is improving with each game. For SR2 the sea faring section of the gameplay was just as fun as the levels plus the game had a shitload of mini-levels for missions. I don't think they even needed that many.

The red ring collecting in Sonic Colours makes you slow down and explore the level more and getting an A rank heavily depends on using the Wisp power ups as well as just flying through the zone. It takes a bit of getting used to, but the missions serve as practice anyway. Just when I was starting to resent there not being a trick system like for Rush, the Wisp system turns out to be a good replacement for it.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Personally, I thought the level design in Colours DS was a step back from Rush Adventure.

The two zones that used the drill powerup were fun and interestingly designed, but the other four just seemed like your standard bad Dimps Sonic stages, where every act just feels like like an endless, forgettable string of the same five or six level elements in randomized order. It can take four minutes to play through a level -- long, by Sonic standards -- and yet at no point will any one part of that stage look or feel any different than any other part of it.

Emperor Omochao

Esrever wrote:Personally, I thought the level design in Colours DS was a step back from Rush Adventure.

The two zones that used the drill powerup were fun and interestingly designed, but the other four just seemed like your standard bad Dimps Sonic stages, where every act just feels like like an endless, forgettable string of the same five or six level elements in randomized order. It can take four minutes to play through a level -- long, by Sonic standards -- and yet at no point will any one part of that stage look or feel any different than any other part of it.
At the risk of sounding over defensive about this game, I'd say the exact opposite is true of this game. Because the different wisp power ups affect the gameplay by activating certain objects (ferris wheels, cannons, balloons, heavy objects) it totally changes how you get through the level. A good example of this is comparing Sweet Mountain with Asteroid Coaster. For the former, you can get through a lot of the level without red burst, but using it allows you to access higher paths that are otherwise inaccessible. For the latter, the velvet void also allows you to branch off into a new area of the zone where using the power-up offers a different gameplay. This becomes more evident when you're trying to complete missions or get an A rank. Using the power-ups helps define the different sections of each level. Activating objects does this even further. Having roller coaster, underwater etc. sections offers even less monotony. Funnily enough, the drill wisp I enjoyed the least. All of these factors help the different sections of each level both look and feel different to other parts of it.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

What are all the hidden events left over after you complete everything (including missions)?

Special S Rank dialogue of great importance?

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Kogen wrote:I do not get what is wrong with concept art.
Nuthin'. But given the choice, I'd go with more levels.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Locit wrote:
Kogen wrote:I do not get what is wrong with concept art.
Nuthin'. But given the choice, I'd go with more levels.
Not if those levels suck. Whereas concept art can be only so bad.

Of course, I don't see why they didn't have the presence of mind to do both.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Maybe I missed something, but... how does concept art being available relate to more levels being created?

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

It's the mythical "apple = oranges" argument device.
Zeta wrote:
FlashTHD wrote:Level design which, in spite of all these big set pieces, just feels randomly slapped together rather than impressing upon the player that you're going anywhere or doing anything interesting - more often than not it feels that you don't find the goal ring, it finds you.
Because a common complaint in the Sonic games was that exploration was taken away in favor of making all the levels a straight run from point A to point B.
One thing doesn't necessarily negate the other. You don't automatically make an excessively linear, mostly sidescrolling game more fun by slapping random patches of terrain around it and calling it a day. That's not what good stage design is about.
Zeta wrote:
FlashTHD wrote:(Only when you replay stages after getting more wisps do some of these stages start to make sense, which goes back to the padding problem.)
"Not as an engine limitation, but as a conscious design decision." The Wisp system is there to allow the developers to encourage you to replay levels, something which this generation doesn't naturally incline itself to do, only whining about lack of content when a game is too short.
Same as above. If subsequent playthroughs are very enjoyable, that's alright... but they don't excuse an inferior first run. Say, did Super Mario 64 feel like a bad game until you unlocked all the caps and replayed the first levels with them?
Zeta wrote:
FlashTHD wrote:The 2D areas only pass as a Sonic game in the most bare definiton; in fact many chunks of level are so laughably simplistic that they almost could have been done in f'ing Doom Legacy.
Because complexity equals quality. That's why Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog were such great games!

: D
The reasons why Heroes and Shadow are bad 3D Sonic games have very little to do with them being just more complex than other installments, so your counterargument is invalid.
Zeta wrote:
FlashTHD wrote:Sonic not only de-spins while falling in a jump, but they didn't have the presence of mind to NOT leave him vulnerable when this happens, so hello nonsensical hits/deaths from just trying to jump on an enemy (see also: the ill-concieved "hop" jump from a light tap of the button).
Oh noes, jumping doesn't make me invulnerable to all enemies now. Learn to homing attack, it's not exactly the hardest gameplay thing to learn.
... Sonic 06 had the same shit.

You are now indirectly apologizing one of 06's most blatant flaws/ bugs by resorting to the same kind of excuse to defend basically the same thing in Colors.

This is just lame.
Zeta wrote:
FlashTHD wrote:Radrappy, you call this an improvement?
Sonic the Werehog.
Again, this is a form of non sequitur. Having a cheap God of War knock-off slapped on an already bastadized 3D Sonic game instead of more flawed, haphazardly designed stages for said bastardized 3D Sonic game, with some pointlessly wacky controls and unexplainable stuff bordering on glitch material like "de-spinning" jumps are both bad things. Of course, some people will be more tolerant towards one than the other, but neither is a clear-cut improvement.

Notice I haven't played the game yet, so I'm just pointing at logical inconsistencies rather than post my opinion about whether I like it better than previous Sonic games or not.