Super Sonic Galaxy

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Esrever
Drano Master

Re: Super Sonic Galaxy

Post by Esrever »

I guess I'm just not really sure what it is about this game that is rubbing some of you the wrong way. It looks and sounds great, it's dominated by 2D sections, and it's got a really slick power-up system that seems to be resulting in levels with multiple tiers and lots of secrets. Forget "competent"... aside from the vacuousness of the occasional behind-the-back segments, what part of this game doesn't look GOOD to you? Because it looks good to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7BXcezQ ... r_embedded

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

FlashTHD wrote:I think we had enough of that (in reverse) out of Dasher, don't you think?
This seems to imply 2 things:

1. That I'm as much of a whackjob as Dasher was.

and

2. That this place apparently has to fill some sort of hatred quota every time a Sonic game comes out. Either way I'm convinced you guys will never like a Sonic game again, no matter what it looks or plays like.

On the other hand, it's good to see that not everybody hates this game. Seems to me there's a (somewhat) even split.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Thing with polarised opinions is that they don't easily shift. I couldn't and wouldn't try to, convince anyone to like something they don't, especially not on the internet. People get... resolute. It's irrational to the outsider, but so is humanity.

This is not the game I want. However, it is a game I would like. It wasn't what I was expecting, but then I wasn't really expecting anything. After all, Sonic Team have had their name on a few stinkers recently! I'd say it's perfectly reasonable to have low expectations. Logical, even. I find, positive or negative, they have to be little, quiet ones that you file away until someone cares what you think. But then, yeah, the Internet, so.

The footage I've seen really tickles me, in a '10-year-old kid regarding the Sega Saturn for the first time with open-mouthed awe' kind of way. It has this funky vibrance, a neon stylishness with buckets of trashy arcade charm. What with this and Sonic 4 in the same year, I can't help but feel we're ushering forth some weird alternate-future 1996. Like, this game makes me think SEGA is cool. That's pretty hefty.

But the burgers are a bit silly.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I guess when you have a reeeeeally specific vision of what a game should be like (i.e every motherfucking Sonic fan in existence, myself included) but also hold video games in general to standards rivaling that of a pretentious wine-taster (i.e. quite a few people on this forum), it's easy to be unforgiving.

That said, the burgers may be silly, but have we forgotten that this is a series of video games starring a cartoon blue hedgehog that runs at the speed of sound, collects floating gold rings and fights a fat scientist and his army of bright-colored robots?

Neo

Post by Neo »

j-man wrote:The footage I've seen really tickles me, in a '10-year-old kid regarding the Sega Saturn for the first time with open-mouthed awe' kind of way. It has this funky vibrance, a neon stylishness with buckets of trashy arcade charm. What with this and Sonic 4 in the same year, I can't help but feel we're ushering forth some weird alternate-future 1996. Like, this game makes me think SEGA is cool. That's pretty hefty.

But the burgers are a bit silly.
This is what I'm talking about. I'm okay with the backgrounds. They're not particularly amazing, but they get the job done. But what of the gameplay? Do you feel any desire to play the game? I don't, and it's what's confusing me. It just seems like you move forward and hit some springs and move forward and hit a rail and move forward. And then you have to kill some enemies before you move forward again. And it just drags on and I end up falling asleep halfway in. It's not appealing to me at all.

Compare to Nintendo's new Zelda game. I totally want to grab my sword and kill some bad guys. I dunno what's wrong with Sonic Colors, but it's definitely there -- or rather, it isn't.

j-man

Post by j-man »

Capture quality. The music is brilliant.

I view those 3D sections as roughly analogous to what I like to call the 'spectacle' of Sonic 3; bits like the water tubes in Hydrocity, or the barbershop poles in Carnival Night, even the tree before Angel Island gets torched. Instead of rolling down hills in Chemical Plant and watching the camera struggle to keep up, now the camera sweeps behind Sonic to watch him zoom past baddies at rainbow speed, with blurry lines and sonicboom sound effects! It is entertaining, if you like bright colours and catchy music. Maybe I speak for myself here, but I know I played those games as a kid because that is exactly what I liked about them.

The only problem with this is you're missing out on the grander scale of things. Literally, the grander scale. Seeing the Death Egg in the crater at the end of Lava Reef blew my nuts off. The flashiness is all well and good for now, but in later levels you to see that tonal shift, and some everpresent reminder of impending doom. They need to be dramatic, but they need to cut all the fucking drama. Forget the soap-opera cutscenes, take us there in the levels! You know that awesome intro in Unleashed, where Sonic nips across Eggman's fleet, pissing off all his robots? Why wasn't that playable!?
Last edited by j-man on Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Apparently Neo didn't see the parts where he uses the Yellow Drill power, because I totally want to play that.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

When I watch the video, the thing I want to do most is drill into the birthday cake. Why doesn't the player drill into the birthday cake? There is obviously something down there, god damn it, drill into the damn cake!

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Oh god I just realised that the music switches to gabber when you're drilling.
I was obsessed with that shit for years and it amuses me immensely to see it used (and actually somewhat appropriately) in a Sonic game.

Neo

Post by Neo »

I don't really feel like typing out a well thought-out dissertation as to why Sonic Colors doesn't appeal to me, but I will say this:
Rob-Bert wrote:Apparently Neo didn't see the parts where he uses the Yellow Drill power, because I totally want to play that.
Will you fucking stop defending this and every other Sonic game as if it was your first born? Get into your thick skull that our opinions on what is or isn't fun are different and that doesn't mean I didn't "see" this or "understand" that, or "accept" that this is "all we're getting". If I wanted to chat with braindead kiddie Sonic fans which guzzle down every piece of shit Sega puts out then they have official forums just for that.

Jesus Christ.

j-man

Post by j-man »

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Kogen wrote:I know this is probably frowned upon, but: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Kogen/SEGA.png
At least put some sprinkles on that shit. Jeez
Kogen wrote:What do you mean this is all we have? There are other games coming out this year in the franchise and much better games in the same genre. There is even a better looking game with the exact same name.
And what the hell genre is that anyway? Platformer? The special thing about recent sonic games is that they seem to be in their own (albeit shitty) genre. A kind of character based, high speed, time attack that really can't be found anywhere else. Something I've admittedly gotten fond of.
Neo wrote: I'd much rather play Sonic Heroes, Shadow, or Secret Rings than this game.
Aw c'mon. You don't mean that.
j-man wrote:Capture quality.
hm. Why does this look so much worse than the gametrailers footage? Something about the quality looks terribly dull.
Anyway let's just all agree to disagree and all that. No need to get riled up about any of this. I'm sure it'll ending up sucking hard in the end.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Radrappy wrote:
Neo wrote: I'd much rather play Sonic Heroes, Shadow, or Secret Rings than this game.
Aw c'mon. You don't mean that.
I would!

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Sonic is an 'action adventure' game. It is very action and very adventure.

Also this is better than Shadow solely due to it not having Shadow (yet!).

Neo

Post by Neo »

Now I don't want to become a Negative Nelly here, but I just realized I prefer Sonic 4 over this game. This is astonishing! To me, at least!

Seriously, when this one was first revealed I was sure it was going to be the other way around. Mind = blown.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Esrever wrote:When I watch the video, the thing I want to do most is drill into the birthday cake. Why doesn't the player drill into the birthday cake? There is obviously something down there, god damn it, drill into the damn cake!
This guy totally uses the drill.

I'm with Esrever on this one. This game looks fun, and I'm okay with a fun Sonic game even if it's not a momentum-based platformer in the tradition of the Genesis games. From the videos and impressions I've seen the worst case scenario is Sonic Unleashed minus the werehog. I suppose they might pad the length out with missions (get rings! time limit!), but I can't manage to get angry about stuff Sega/Sonic Team/Dimps might do in a game I've never played and only heard favorable first-hand impressions of. Plus the music is catchy!

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Whups, missed the edit time limit. Ohwelldoublepost!
Locit wrote:This game looks fun, and I'm okay with a fun Sonic game even if it's not a momentum-based platformer in the tradition of the Genesis games.
...But if you really do want to get angry about them not doing another game in the vein of the originals you can always complain about Sonic 4. But, well, that doesn't look godawful anymore. Man, two games that might be pretty enjoyable starring my favourite video game character coming out within a year of each other. Three, if you like the Rush games. And I do!

It's tough being a Sonic fan!

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I think your standard Sonic level reuse missions are basically a guarantee here. But a "collect 100 rings in ___ time" mission might actually be fun in that Tropical Resort level, where the challenge would be collecting all those ring formations in the ground with the drill powerup.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

I'm going to toss my hat into the "I think this game will provide enjoyment to me that I feel is worth the money I pay for it" group. Hopefully they'll flesh out the areas a bit and/or the stages were cut short for the show, but what I've seen looks good. Plus, I'm always a big fan of games with over-the-top announcers that announce your actions.

b_boult

Post by b_boult »

Though it pains me to say so, this game does look rather good. My over riding concern now is whether or not the controls will feel responsive enough, and from what I've seen of Sonic's movements at slower speeds within a relatively confined three-dimensional area, his controls seem as heavy as those in Sonic Unleashed, which troubles me slightly. I guess this might be an inevitable trade off in any game where he reaches the ridiculous top speeds we've seen, in that any sudden knock on a control stick with Sonic Adventure-style sensitivity could send Sonic careering into the abyss when reaching his top speed. However, I would like to SEGA implement a control system where the sensitivity of the controls alter depending on the speed of Sonic's movements, though I know not of the feasability of this as a development idea nor SEGA's willingness to implement it. Well OK, I guess we know the answer to the last part at least.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

I think this game would be fun to play if there was anything to play. All I see so far are endless straights and a few springs, hoop, rails, and eggpawns.

Also hmm, drilling into the ground? Like, digging? Wasn't there some character in the Sonic series who used to do that? Some, uh, orange mole? I might be wrong though.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

P.P.A. wrote:I think this game would be fun to play if there was anything to play. All I see so far are endless straights and a few springs, hoop, rails, and eggpawns.

Also hmm, drilling into the ground? Like, digging? Wasn't there some character in the Sonic series who used to do that? Some, uh, orange mole? I might be wrong though.
His name is Knuckles. He has been away for awhile but he will be back soon. Unlike Sonic he does not chuckle, however, he would rather flex his muscles.

Also Sonic Team listens to the fan base now and thinks we hate anything that is not Sonic, assuming Genesis related stuff is the same as Silver the Hedgehog and that the fan base is Sonic Stadium/IGN.

j-man

Post by j-man »

All things considered, I'd say they're not doing too bad of a job.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

P.P.A. wrote:I think this game would be fun to play if there was anything to play. All I see so far are endless straights and a few springs, hoop, rails, and eggpawns.

Okay here's where I get a little confused. Let's pretend for an second that what you're saying is true: that the levels look extremely sparse and that it seems like all one has to do is steer Sonic through them at high speeds(Even though in watching any of the videos that is clearly not the case as the 2d segments look extremely involving. Can't you even try to appreciate how the stretches of seemingly empty 3d racetrack are put in there to achieve some form of PACING? Some form of contrast to the busy 2d segments?). Is that really so abhorrent? I mean at the very worst it sounds like a sort of ground based Nights into Dreams(assuming you even like Nights). Racing around the course trying to beat your previous score/time is actually pretty rewarding.
Also, someone was kind enough to notice the enemies that were NOT eggpawns:

a buzz bomber varient and
those little butterfly doo dads from, gasp, can it be? SONIC CD!

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

DAY 1 PURCHASE