Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Re: Sega announces Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Post by Opa-Opa »

and since you're so close already maybe you could suck my dick?

Actually, the best Sonic I've seen lately was the one in Super Smash Bros Brawl.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCPjdLm31mU

Alex Kidd confirmed for S&SASR.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

He was in earlier videos. Considering I have little to no interest in this game, I'd say that's a huge oversight on your part.

Surprised to see Big, though.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Yup. He was confirmed since day one, or at least the second trailer or so. He rides his Sukopako Cycle and the Peticopter.

I'm more interested in finding a decent image of Opa-Opa in the game, the possibility of having a ToeJam & Earl DLC and the fact that they did and then removed GIllius Thunderhead (riding a Chicken Leg) from the roster.

Sega has such a nice selection of unused classic characters. Personally, I'd take out a few of the Sonic characters (I mean, who needs Big?) and put something classier like Space Harrier, Panzer Dragoon and Phantasy Star. At least it's good to see so many characters from the Dreamcast games up there together with Alex Kidd, Opa-Opa and Bonanza Bros.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Opa-Opa wrote:(I mean, who needs Big?)
All the people who hate him so they can get all pissed off over it while the producers kick back with a cold one and laaaaauugh. 'Tis what i'd do.

Speaking of Bonanza Bros., what the hell is the fascination with those two all of a sudden? Not that the kiddos are liable to know who they are since Sega cut their only game out of Gems!

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I actually wish Big was around more. There's too many Sonic-wannabes in the character roster. We've had plenty of rivals, but not enough complementary characters. Anonymous might have found the fishing thing boring as shit, but I think the character was a great addition to the series.

That said, in the context of this game - fuck Big. Get Space Harrier in there.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Oh god, I would choke a man to see Lagi and one of the Dragon riders in this game as playable.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Know what would be cool, but completely impossible since it belongs to Tatsunoko? Zillion.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Zeta wrote:Oh god, I would choke a man to see Lagi and one of the Dragon riders in this game as playable.
And the special move would be to unleash Berserker Rage on whatever poor sap you feel like. Or the guy in 1st, but blue shells suck.

Personally rooting for Edge, seeing as he had the most personality out of the first three (can't remember much of Orta to compare her to him, though).

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I like Big, too. Er, as long as he doesn't talk, anyway.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Big is great when he's inadvertantly mixed up in the action, as in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. Fighting a giant Metal Sonic and echidna armies in a prison dimension is not the best use of his character, it misses the entire point just a lottle bit.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Don't have anything against Big, as long as I don't have to play as him and/or hear him talk. Looks like they nailed it with Adventure 2.

And I was making fun of P.P.A.'s apparent fascination with 2K6 using Kogen's posting style, Opa... unless you find me attractive and really want me to do it... :/

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Deven Gallo once overclocked a SEGA Genesis on broadcast television.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Zeta wrote:Oh god, I would choke a man to see Lagi and one of the Dragon riders in this game as playable.
Oh MAN that would rock so hard.
Shadow Hog wrote:
Zeta wrote:Personally rooting for Edge, seeing as he had the most personality out of the first three (can't remember much of Orta to compare her to him, though).
There's a reason for that. Did both of you guys finish Saga, then? What did you think?

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

I'm actually kinda bummed it's called SONIC & Sega All-Star Racing... Also, there's a huge lack of villains there.

Nah, not today Isuka. I was just quoting a funny t-shirt.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

So I've heard rumours that this game is pretty okay??

Forza Johnman

Post by Forza Johnman »

Played the demo. Its all right. Weapons are a bit naff and the commentator needs to be shot. And the roster and unique tracks are quite poor, but the racing is quite good in a Mario Kart way. And even if it is essentially high rez Sonic Heroes levels, they really have the Sonic art style down to a t.

I'm kinda surprised they went with the 1 character in 1 car route for most of them. Perhaps, Beat and Gum for example... Also really wanted Honey from fighting Vipers to appear. And Segata Sanshiro and the list goes on really.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Locit wrote:
Oh MAN that would rock so hard.
Shadow Hog wrote:
Zeta wrote:Personally rooting for Edge, seeing as he had the most personality out of the first three (can't remember much of Orta to compare her to him, though).
There's a reason for that. Did both of you guys finish Saga, then? What did you think?
Of course. Reaction: probably one of the best games I've ever played, if far too short (and I kind of dislike how so many of the places you visit over the course of the game become inaccessible once you're done with them). I kind of wish Saturn emulation was more popular, just so more people could realize this game really is damn fine.

Although the "heresy program" probably shouldn't have told me to "push the button of a new beginning", because that skipped one of the cutscenes in the ending - specifically the one where Edge, despite all conventional Hollywood wisdom suggesting otherwise, enters the big, shiny light. Instead it jumps right to Gash waiting for a man that'll never show. Whoops. Thanks for that, Sega.

Also why the heck weren't the credits translated? I could probably read them to some extent NOW, maybe, but it seems silly. Were they that strapped for time during translation? At least (barring one gaffe in Zoah) the rest of the script was handled alright.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Blank
Now Playing: PSO2

Post by Blank »

So I tried the demo. SUMO Digital caved into the Mario Kart hype with this game. Its really not like Outrun at all, in fact most the mechanics are Mario Kart to the core.

No fantastic Outrun drifting or slick controls, just Mario Kart snaking and mini-boosting with streamlined green shells. Its a very goofy cartoon-ish game, yet you'd think their target demographic would be pretty ignorant to half the character roster.

Basically its Mario Kart with less item shenanigans and a very annoying announcer. The track I played was pretty sparse too, but eh. I'll still buy it for the characters alone, but I think most classic SEGA racing fans will be disappointed.

Pretty sad to prove most the haters right. SEGA cashing in on the Mario Kart trend when they already have a perfectly superior driving formula in my opinion. Tsk tsk...

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I like Mario Kart (Super Circuit and 64 aside), but virtually any clones of it are typically terrible (except maybe Snowboard Kids). Not surprised to hear this game is bad.

I also heard the framerate is awful. Is this true?

Blank
Now Playing: PSO2

Post by Blank »

I haven't had any framerate issues coming from the PS3 side, but I wouldn't doubt running into it. Framerate drops on PS3 games that aren't exclusive seem to be pretty common.

The last Mario Kart I liked was Double Dash, and most fans tell me its the worst. Also I don't know if this is a reoccurring thing but I really hated the way weight worked in MKWii. Don't understand how I go veering off the side from running into Funky Kong's fatass from behind, even when hes miniaturized by lightning. Yeah yeah lightning doesn't change weight whatever, the physics are still way over-exaggerated there.

I might enjoy this game over Mario Kart if the rest of the tracks are nice and theres an option to turn off the announcer (Thats not the mute button lulz) I just won't enjoy it as much as i would hope to enjoy most SEGA racing games. D:

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

I agree with you completely. Also using the wiimote as a driving wheel never quite worked for me. Double Dash is perfect, specially in co-op. Mario Kart DS is also loads of fun.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

The game was developed first on PS3, so that might have the best frame rate.

Although I tried it today on the demo and it really shows how bad the Dualshock is for racing games using triggers. Unless you are some midget Asian or a kid, your hands are going to hurt playing on that controller. It is just too small for what it expects you to do.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Dude, how big are your hands?