After so many years of waiting...Sonic Epoch has arrived!

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Well, it looks more fun than Sonic Heroes. </obligatoryanti-sonicheroesstatement>
Taxman said the final demo of RS would be out this month so I'm keeping the fingers crossed on this one.
What the fuck happened to Taxman? His website went down the hooooooole.
Last edited by j-man on Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Post by Nova »

BlazeHedgehog wrote:You realize that SatAM is considered the devil around these parts, and what you're doing right now is akin to covering yourself in honey and steak just before dancing infront of an angry bear, right?

I'd lay down and just play dead. Maybe they'll miss your vital organs.

Personally, I dig Epoch, though. Could use a little more polish (some of the dialogue feels... iffy, and there are a few bugs), but it's still pretty good.

Then again, who am I to judge this stuff? I thought Sonic: Time Attacked was awesome and nobody around here had anything good to say about that, either.
I love Sonic Time atacked!

Maybe you are saying that SatAM is satan around here?

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

SatAN?

Nova

Post by Nova »

Ngangbius wrote:SatAN?
Spanish word for “The devilâ€￾, not any devil, Lucifer…the prince of darkness…

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Satan and Lucifer are actually two completely different entities who have been muddled into one character only fairly recently. Lucifer is a fallen angel, while Satan is just a very powerful demon. They're often though of as one and the same, but that's incorrect.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Zeta wrote:Satan and Lucifer are actually two completely different entities who have been muddled into one character only fairly recently. Lucifer is a fallen angel, while Satan is just a very powerful demon. They're often though of as one and the same, but that's incorrect.
Indeed. Which does beg the question - who would win in a fight?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Lucifer's an arrogant pretty-boy who underestimates his opponents (the whole battle in Heaven thing immediately comes to mind).

Satan is dirty, violent, and vicious.

Lucifer makes a long speech about how great he is, and Satan plucks out his beating heart before the Morning Star even notices.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

What kind of crap is that? Well depressing crap that's what. I'm not a fan of "humans die out, furries prosper, only remaining humans are evil, furries are good" as it reeks of something a hypocritical, nature-loving, white-man hating, extremist would write.
*poke* Realize; the actions of one man do not constitute the feelings of an entire race. Just because Robotnik was a bastard does not mean SatAM is portraying all of humankind as devilish and no-good. It was said: Robotnik not only thinks that Earth is a "Man's World", but he also killed his entire crew. This is a person who's a few bricks short of a wall, you know?
Eh? If it was aimed at the 12-14 crowds then why air it on Saturday Mornings(and early at timesslot to boot)?
Same reasons TMNT is aired Saturday Mornings. I'm 21 years old and I try to never miss an episode. Both for nostalgia and just how good the show is. There are a few pretty terrible bits (usually filler episodes), but once they get a stable plot going, it's pretty good watchin'. Gargoyles, a disney Cartoon that many considered to be one of Disney's best Saturday Morning offerings, STARTED the whole "darker, more serious tone cartoons" trend. (Which lead to Classic TMNT's shitty "re-envisioning" to be more serious, etc etc)
As for the game. Eh, I haven't been into the fangaming scene and I pretty reluctant to try any fangames--unless it was something very, very, very high quality and reconmended by guys from TNL, insertcredit, Gaming-Age, etc.
You aren't missing much. Most Sonic fangames aren't even finished nowadays because everybody is so obsessed with creating movement engines that closely mimic the Genesis/GBA games. By the time folks get the movement engine down, they're too bored to actually finish a game. The games that do get finished, 95% of the time, are utter crap.
Last edited by BlazeHedgehog on Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Zeta wrote:Lucifer's an arrogant pretty-boy who underestimates his opponents (the whole battle in Heaven thing immediately comes to mind).

Lucifer makes a long speech about how great he is, and Satan plucks out his beating heart before the Morning Star even notices.
So what you're saying is Lucifer would only win if Square wrote it?

Nova

Post by Nova »

Zeta wrote:Lucifer's an arrogant pretty-boy who underestimates his opponents (the whole battle in Heaven thing immediately comes to mind).

Yeah , if you know transformers we could say that Lucifer is Starscream and Satan is Megatron...

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Why would Starscream be an fallen angel?

Curiosity: for those who watched Dragonball Z, Hercule's original name is Mr. Satan. Then the censorship striked again.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Blaze wrote:Eh? If it was aimed at the 12-14 crowds then why air it on Saturday Mornings(and early at timesslot to boot)?

Same reasons TMNT is aired Saturday Mornings. I'm 21 years old and I try to never miss an episode. Both for nostalgia and just how good the show is. There are a few pretty terrible bits (usually filler episodes), but once they get a stable plot going, it's pretty good watchin'. Gargoyles, a disney Cartoon that many considered to be one of Disney's best Saturday Morning offerings, STARTED the whole "darker, more serious tone cartoons" trend. (Which lead to Classic TMNT's shitty "re-envisioning" to be more serious, etc etc)
This doesn't exactly proves that it was intened to aim at 12-14 years olds('what a small, and pointless demo' according to excutives at the time) 6-14 year olds is a bit more plausible even if that projected demo was cutting close to ABC standards at the time.

All I remember of Gargoyles is that it was awesome when it aired in syndication and then when it went to Saturday Mornings they started with the subpar Goliath Chronicals.

And Batman: The Animated Series predates Gargoyles a few years.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

And Batman: The Animated Series predates Gargoyles a few years
While we're at it - doesn't X-Men predate B:TAS? Gargoyles was just the first one that popped in to mind. (Mainly because it started airing in 1994-ish, which was around the same time SatAM started)

Point is: Reguardless of what execs say, stuff like Gargoyles, Batman, and X-Men were NOT aimed at the 7 year old crowd. I remember I didn't really give a crap about X-Men or Batman for quite awhile because I thought they were boring. (Of course, I do know better, by now)

However, two or three years after X-Men and Batman, when stuff like Gargoyles and SatAM started, I had begun to like those sorts of "more serious" storylines. And that was age 10-and-up, for me. Those two shows lead to Spiderman, and then back to Batman (when it became "Batman & Robin") etc etc.

Who cares, though? I did say "As I recall", that doesn't mean it's set in stone: It just looks like to me that SatAM wasn't geared towards the younger crowd. I've always heard from most Sonic fans that are interested in the two shows, that AoStH was intended for the 7 and younger crowd, and SatAM was aimed at the older kids. Maybe not the range of teenagers I described, but certainly at least 10 years and older. I was watching SatAM syndicated reruns on the USA Network until I was 15, at least (It was great. Aired just before my bus came to take me to school).

And when you think about it, the shoe fits: AoStH is more Looney-Tunes antics than SatAM. Very light comedic violence, horrid tired puns, goofy stretchy animation. Sonic's personality in that even resembles a very fast version of Bugs Bunny, what with the million disguises thing.

SatAM, however, as it was covered, was more serious. Episodes were still stand-alone, but at the same time, they felt as if they were linked - especially episodes in the second season. (The discovery of the flowers with the acid-like metal-eating pollen, and the discovery of the Deep Power Stones, both of which tied in together when Robotnik's Doomsday Device was unveiled and destroyed)

You can't tell me that two shows as drastically different as those were meant for the same age group.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Eh? I thought X-Men premired around the time Batman did which was 1990-1991.
Point is: Reguardless of what execs say, stuff like Gargoyles, Batman, and X-Men were NOT aimed at the 7 year old crowd. I remember I didn't really give a crap about X-Men or Batman for quite awhile because I thought they were boring. (Of course, I do know better, by now)
Of course that's just you as my brother and his friends who was about 7 at the time when those shows premired did give a crap about the Bats and X-Men. ;)

And of course AoStH is going to have a younger demo as many of the light-hearted and ridiculuous stories and situations are sutable for the pre-school crowd. :)

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

According to IMDB, X-men was 1992 (to 1997), Batman:TAS was... oh, 1992 (to 1995). So they both started the same year, my fault. SatAM was 1993 (to 1994), Gargoyles was 1994 (to 1997).

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Bats aired first. Man, I still remember when that show first came on. It was the first half of The Cat and the Claw, and I remember having my brain blown by how creepy and violent it was. For a Saturday morning cartoon, I mean. It was so dark, and there was so much gunfire! And I was only ten. Yikes! :D

I can't remember how much later it was before X-men came on, but Batman was definitely the first of what quickly became a crop of Fox superhero shows. And I watched them all religiously! :D

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Jesus Christmas, what the fuck is that? I will never in a trillion years understand why anyone thinks any of these games can be considered even remotely enjoyable. In a sense they're admirable in what they're trying to achieve, but when you just realise that what they're trying to achieve is so vastly, cosmically dire (and they still fail in achieving it), you kind of stop admiring them for it. Time Attacked and SRB2 were the only half-maybe-sorta-decent-ish games out there, and even then they were fraught with so many problems it was difficult to sustain any interest at all in them for any length of time. I'm all for homebrew creativity, but piecing together yet another broken interpretation of a design that was perfected in 1991 using the worst tools you can find on a demo disc isn't the way to do it.

I actually downloaded Sonic: The Fated Hour the other day, Blaze. I mean, with a tagline like 'With a deep, well written storyline full of plot-twists, TFH guarantees to be a unique Sonic Fangame experience like no other', how could I resist? I mean, my favourite type of experiences like no other are unique experiences like no other, so I just had to check it out.

Uh... it sure was unique. And faintly homoerotic.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Esrever wrote:Bats aired first. Man, I still remember when that show first came on. It was the first half of The Cat and the Claw, and I remember having my brain blown by how creepy and violent it was. For a Saturday morning cartoon, I mean. It was so dark, and there was so much gunfire! And I was only ten. Yikes! :D

I can't remember how much later it was before X-men came on, but Batman was definitely the first of what quickly became a crop of Fox superhero shows. And I watched them all religiously! :D
I vaguely remember Batman premirering on Fox on primetime and then airing during the weekdays not the weekends.

I also remember how low-budget X-men was compared to Batman:TAS. B:TAS was the first time I took an animated Batman cartoon seriously which wasn't hard to do when his animated appearence before that was Superfriends.

The Man

Post by The Man »

I see this forum has no concern jumping from subject to another with no problems in between. Gotta love that.

But I bet everyone has tried Sonic Epoch to say one day they at least gave it a try to not look so bent on advocating just one Sonicverse.

If you say that you won't try any game because you just don't like it then someone is definately going to think that it sucks to be you.

BTW, I remember all those shows and definately experienced by us all like no other because it can't be experienced all the same in individual context.

:roll:

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

The Man wrote:BTW, I remember all those shows and definately experienced by us all like no other because it can't be experienced all the same in individual context.

:roll:
Okay, who fitted my browser with an auto-Altavista-Babelfisher?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

If you say that you won't try any game because you just don't like it then someone is definately going to think that it sucks to be you.
I bet that's how you ended up with your large collection of "Barney" and "Teletubies" videogames. After all, ya gotta try it - even if the thing it's based on is insipid and the game itself is obviously of low quality.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

I actually downloaded Sonic: The Fated Hour the other day, Blaze. I mean, with a tagline like 'With a deep, well written storyline full of plot-twists, TFH guarantees to be a unique Sonic Fangame experience like no other', how could I resist? I mean, my favourite type of experiences like no other are unique experiences like no other, so I just had to check it out.
Are you done yet? I mean, you can put your pants back on now, thanks. TFH wasn't for you, Pop. I don't give a flying fuck what you've got to say about it, never really have. Be it as it may, I do have quite a lot of people whom expect me to finish TFH, and that is what I plan on doing - even if the storyline was written four years ago while I sat on the fucking toilet one night.

If I wanted to make a game for you, Pop, it'd be like, "Randy The HomoErotic Dinosaur's Adventure Through the Technicolor Luftwaffe" or something. In the opening scenes it'll say, "This is Dedicated to James Duffy, because anything less would be Cosmically Dire"

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

If I made a game for you it'd be Sonic fucking Tails. It'd be awesome. Then Goku would come in and kick everyone's ass.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

It's nice to see you're setting some goals for yourself.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

You seem to have too many. So can you tell me how The Fated Hour will finish, or are you trying to prevent spoilers? Does Tails come back? I was really upset when he got hacked to pieces.