All-new 2D Sonic rolling out in 2010

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
b_boult

Re: All-new 2D Sonic rolling out in 2010

Post by b_boult »

Dasher wrote:
Speed is something that is not given; but rather earned through dedication. Speed is not found by simply pushing a boost button, but by building momentum. It is the reward for skill in the face of difficult challenges – this kind of speed is the most exhilarating, not only because it is fast, but because of the pure perfection such speed exemplifies. This is the truth of the original Sonic games – and this is the truth of Project Needlemouse.
This is the single most promising piece of information I've read about this game so far, good stuff. Based on the pictures above I hope that every badnik isn't a redesign from the previous games however. I want to see this "style" of badnik in the game certainly, and perhaps a scattering of familiar foes, but by and large I want new enemies to be created but in a traditional style.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

They've been hinting at that from the beginning. In the interview everyone seems to forget, the PR guy mentioned that this project will be less of the Rush-style of game and more of the Genesis-style. They realize just having a 2D game isn't enough.
GS: Why did Sega decide to bring Sonic back to 2D? Did the success of Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure play a part?

KB: Old-school Sonic fans have long asked to see Sonic return to a more 2D style of gameplay. Many liked the daytime stages in Unleashed but wanted to see a game that plays purely similar to the early games of the Genesis. Project Needlemouse is that critical first step that brings Sonic back to his 2D roots.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Kogen wrote:I am confused about what is real and what is not; what is new and what is old.
This. And thinking about Radrappy's point (why aren't they showing new designs), coupled with the facts that it's a downloadable title and that they haven't shown any actual footage of the game at all, points squarely to failure or at the very least pure mediocrity.

I mean, the teaser didn't say anything, and the staff behind it were approached by Sega with nothing but sad, ironically unoriginal original Genesis Sonic games' idolatry (which amounts to almost nothing). Then, they make a huge deal of just saying that there won't be any additional playable characters besides Sonic (which also amounts to nothing). And then, I get all these recycled badnik feces designs, which I can't even tell if they are new fan stuff or old official stuff, as the only half-descriptive thing coming from Sega's own blog... hell, I don't even know if Naka, Yasuhara or Ohshima even have anything to do with it!! (yeah, I wished...)

... So, what was it I was posting here for? Oh yeah, I can't stand this retarded, insulting, baseless hype around the videogame equivalent of a dusty fart cloud.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Re:

Post by j-man »

Isuka wrote:And thinking about Radrappy's point (why aren't they showing new designs), coupled with the facts that it's a downloadable title and that they haven't shown any actual footage of the game at all, points squarely to failure or at the very least pure mediocrity.
I'd say it points squarely to the fact that they're still making it.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Speed is something that is not given; but rather earned through dedication. Speed is not found by simply pushing a boost button, but by building momentum. It is the reward for skill in the face of difficult challenges – this kind of speed is the most exhilarating, not only because it is fast, but because of the pure perfection such speed exemplifies. This is the truth of the original Sonic games – and this is the truth of Project Needlemouse.
This does make my mouth water, but I'm jaded enough by now to take it with a grain of salt or two and won't believe anything till I have seen it.

Also what is up with people complaining about old badnik designs being reused? So far only a single badnik has been shown, the rest has been clearly marked as being fan-made! But it seems people are unable to read and assume that Motobug and S2 thing are genuine?

Also:
...and then P.P.A. realised that he had no idea of how to draw technology and mechanisms and thus lost interest.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

The blog mentions the Motobug being real and the Kamakiller being fan made, so that's two actually.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

j-man wrote:I'd say it points squarely to the fact that they're still making it.
It's just that, when someone announces a game, I like it better when they, you know, back it up with something, preferably tangible or at least likely legit footage. Just look at FF XIII, they showed the first (FMV, yes, but still game-like in the end) teaser all the way back in 2006 and just recently released the final turd. Or even (yeah, *gasp*, et cetera) 2K6. Or you can look up here for the original Adventure's building up of hype over at Japan (admitedly several orders of magnitude higher than what this even deserves but what the hell, you get my point).

Alexrd
Now Playing: Proun

Post by Alexrd »

I don't mind seeing old badniks redesigned. I guess people just have to complain about something... :smile:

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Needs More Sonic CD.
Attachments
badnix2.jpg
badnix2.jpg (121.54 KiB) Viewed 6372 times

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Alexrd wrote:I don't mind seeing old badniks redesigned. I guess people just have to complain about something... :smile:
To be blunt, god forbid they should actually execute some original ideas.

Wonder which forum post they lifted that philosophy on game mechanics from. Also,
A friend on MSN wrote:i did not think it was possible, but Sega has become a BIGGER troll than valve

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I'm calling Sonic the Hedgehog 4 as the title.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Only if you provide the barf bags for after the reveal.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Speed? You guys are talking about speed?

Well guess what? Speed is back.

And I think they are waiting to hype the game after All-Stars Racing.

Blount

Post by Blount »

G.Silver's Motora. I. Oh my god. It is so fucking awesome. Now that's how the first boss of Sonic & Tails should have been like.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

How's my Buzz Bomber?

I couldn't resist doing one more. This one's inspired by the Neue Ziel.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

It'd probably help if I'd actually ever watched Gundam. I was going to say that Neue Ziel thing looked like a Metal Gear until I did some Googlin' about it.

Still, yes, it is awesome.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

I think it's hilarious how you evolved the whole body, but kept the little head just the same. Great work, Silv.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

I was really proud of this until I saw GSilv's hulking bastardizations. How am I supposed to compete with perfection?

I was considering just going ahead and submitting it like this, since I doubt they're particularly concerned about colors, multiple views or deconstructions or anything. I was going to try painting it, but I've been working on this thing for 7+ hours and I'm not sure if I'll ever feel like touching it again.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Well, it's not a contest, is it? The winner will be all of us, when they tell us the name of the game! XD

That's actually really cool, I love the perspective on it. I'd go ahead and submit it as-is if you like (I'd rather see it in color), it's still way better than most of the submissions posted on the blog comments, very few people are actually following the "style" of the official concept material (some of them are just copying the original art without making any changes that I can see), and I don't think they're going to base their 100 on any real standards. If anything, I expect them to get a lot more than 100 and they'll be all like "you guys are amazing, we got over X number of entries!" and it'll be some feather in Sega's cap that their fanbase is so rabid. I was all cynical like that at first but then I thought drawing some badniks would be fun, so...

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Yeah, don't bother, they're just being patronising twits.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

You guys inspired me.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

So...a big V8 can with jaggedy edges, Mettaur eyes, walks using kitchen utensils and has a Tails Doll antenna for good measure.

Fear?

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Amazing G.Silver! big fan of your work! they would work well as animal bosses, like those on the Game gear games.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Project Needlemouse is that critical first step that brings Sonic back to his 2D roots.
SEGA's like a broken record.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

When did it start to break? like from Heroes?

edited my robots by the way, minor adjustments.