11 Years

Updates to the front page of the site are in here.
FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Re: 11 Years

Post by FlashTHD »

Bo wrote:Here's to another 12...
...of...what? Ah but that ees the question!

Well for two, and to swipe all the thunder cause i'm so nice, I see there's an anti-spam trick question field (judging from certain accounts that used to be there, rather necessary), and the long-promised Now Playing field.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

FlashTHD wrote:and the long-promised Now Playing field.
I'll be sure to use this feature responsibly.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Here I am again with another hella belated SMS Power "discovery" that they conducted back in 2007:

So, that mysterious "JSH" on the title screen of Sky Patrol stands for Japan System House. According to their investigations, they seem to have been the entire staff of Sky Patrol (SIMS dumped it in their lap or something), made a few other high-profile 8-bit conversions including Ristar and Streets of Rage 2, and they apparently make beauty products. Ahhh, the seedy underworld of 8-bit Sonic games eh?

Before it's brought up, sorry, the Drift games are still an enigma, insofar as I don't think they've looked into it. This time I ran "Sonic Drift" through their forum search and all I came up with was that the second one's music was composed by some lady named Saori Kobayashi.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

The Panzer Dragoon Saga/Orta soundtrack lady? Hot.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

And the broken pages work again! (Other Games, Sonic Team and Staff; Newsboard is still defective)

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Newsboard is probably never going to work again because I don't have time to actually fix all that shit. Actually, this is kind of a site update: I don't have time to work on anything that requires anything more than a few minutes of dedicated focus. I'm working three jobs and am ridiculously busy in general. I'd like to update the forum to keep us current on security patches or whatever, but that'll have to wait until I can find the time.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Is recruiting someone to fill in for you out of the question?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Actually, if you or anyone else knows of an effective, efficient way to syndicate forum content to a website and RSS feeds, let me know. The most difficult first step for me is just doing the research.

Blount

Post by Blount »

Did you at any point try to install a phpBB mod for that purpose? I'm asking because I found this file in the front page's source code. Unfortunately, most of the includes seem to be missing now. I've never worked with phpBB, but I've taken a look at the file and the only problem with it seems to be that it's supposed to generate XML through PHP code, but it can't do that unless it has a '.php' extension. So the idea is that you rename it 'news.php'.

But by doing so, you can't generate that code and retain the '.xml' extension you need for the feed. So one solution is to generate the code and create/update the XML file through PHP code. I've attached an example below (this isn't going to work because some of the needed include files are missing, but at least you'll get the idea by looking at the code). If none of the files were missing, all you'd need to do was open the file with Notepad and follow the instructions at the beginning. To be honest, I haven't tested it yet because I don't have a phpBB forum or the mod that was seemingly installed here, but assuming you had both, it probably would have worked fine.

That's about all I can do for now, but I'll let you know if I have any news or something you can actually use.
Attachments
news_get.zip
(1.77 KiB) Downloaded 1397 times

ShinjukuNeedlemouse

Post by ShinjukuNeedlemouse »

FlashTHD wrote:
Bo wrote:Here's to another 12...
...of...what?
Compilation discs, misguided spinoffs, creepy fanfiction, and a frontpage that will never ever get fixed. NEVER EVER.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Well, at least the Museum page stops at the games that are only mildly awful.

ShinjukuNeedlemouse

Wombatwarlord777 wrote:Well, at least the Museum page stops at the games that are only mildly awful.
True. BUT I LOVE THEM ALL EVEN IF SOME ARE BAD.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

How many Sonic levels would you have if you put together the levels where you play as Sonic from:

Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic unleashed ( as the real Sonic, not the stupid werehog)

The first one to get it right will know what is the the lowest number of Sonic levels that a Sonic game needs to be great...

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

...Whatever the fuck THAT has to do with this thread...

ShinjukuNeedlemouse

Rob-Bert wrote:...Whatever the fuck THAT has to do with this thread...
This plus the fact that (unless I am TERRIBLY TERRIBLY mistaken, and I probably am because I've never played Unleashed), Sonic Unleashed is pretty much a sidescrolling Sonic, 3D with a 2D perspective, it wouldn't mesh well with the Crashass perspective of the Adventure games.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Well, it does cut to 3D on occasion (which you'd know if you'd played it), and when it does, it's pretty similar to the Adventure games... if Sonic was moving at least 10x faster.

Blount

Post by Blount »

And if he controlled like ass.

ShinjukuNeedlemouse

That bad? Really!? I've always heard Sonic Unleashed described as a "not-quite-perfect" return to form, and even then I heard that it was just the Werehog stages which ruined the game and that the standard Sonic gameplay was near perfect. I guess those reviews were from the "will play anything modern Sonic" demographic, I'm glad I talked with you guys before taking the plunge on that game.

Hmmm, I can kinda sorta see what you were all talking about when you mentioned that you don't hate Sonic, you just hate what he's up to lately. It's kind of like how Roland and Korg abandoned their analog synths to make crappy ROMplers because IT SELLS MORE. And yes, they make virtual analogs, but they're never as good, and sometimes downright terrible, kinda like the modern Sonics. So yeah, I can kinda see where you're coming from.

I'm sorry for being a dick without putting myself in your shoes, and for making assumptions about you guys. You know what they say about assumptions and all that, in fact, if you were to give me the forum title of "ASS" it would probably be apropriate considering my very short tenure here.

So yeah, major apologies from me. I hope SEGA gives you some too, I think you're long overdue for them.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

ShinjukuNeedlemouse wrote:That bad? Really!? I've always heard Sonic Unleashed described as a "not-quite-perfect" return to form, and even then I heard that it was just the Werehog stages which ruined the game and that the standard Sonic gameplay was near perfect. I guess those reviews were from the "will play anything modern Sonic" demographic, I'm glad I talked with you guys before taking the plunge on that game.
I can only speak for the Wii version of the game, but both normal and werehog levels were pretty subpar. It's only a "return to form" in the sense that it's not Sonic 06.

I hear the PS3/360 version is better, but I refuse to give it the benefit of the doubt. If SEGA only wanted me to pass judgement on the good version of the game, they should have mentioned that before they sold me the shitty version.

ShinjukuNeedlemouse

Crisis wrote:
ShinjukuNeedlemouse wrote:That bad? Really!? I've always heard Sonic Unleashed described as a "not-quite-perfect" return to form, and even then I heard that it was just the Werehog stages which ruined the game and that the standard Sonic gameplay was near perfect. I guess those reviews were from the "will play anything modern Sonic" demographic, I'm glad I talked with you guys before taking the plunge on that game.
I can only speak for the Wii version of the game, but both normal and werehog levels were pretty subpar. It's only a "return to form" in the sense that it's not Sonic 06.

I hear the PS3/360 version is better, but I refuse to give it the benefit of the doubt. If SEGA only wanted me to pass judgement on the good version of the game, they should have mentioned that before they sold me the shitty version.
Ick. I don't have a 360 anymore (long painful story summarized: never lend friends shit), all I have is the Wii, so DOUBLE avoid. Thanks for letting me know.

Xyton

Post by Xyton »

Crisis wrote:I hear the PS3/360 version is better, but I refuse to give it the benefit of the doubt.
My take on that: If you can find a save that has all the stages unlocked then it might be worth playing, but otherwise I'd avoid it.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

The "Real Sonic" stages where the only good thing from unleashed, I dont know anyone who has liked the "Werehog" stages...

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Arcade wrote:The "Real Sonic" stages where the only good thing from unleashed, I dont know anyone who has liked the "Werehog" stages...
"Like" is a strong word, but preferred certainly.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Crisis wrote:
Arcade wrote:The "Real Sonic" stages where the only good thing from unleashed, I dont know anyone who has liked the "Werehog" stages...
"Like" is a strong word, but preferred certainly.
Heh... and not along ago people here told me to cold down...

Forza Johnman

Post by Forza Johnman »

As much as I hated the Werehog and as much as I think he should not exist. Gameplay wise he did a pretty reasonable impression of God of War and I found it quite enjoyable to play as him. And I can't help thinking that it could be modified to make a solid Ristar 3D game. And I did actually prefer playing as the Werehog over the Real Sonic levels in Sonic Unleashed.

The sad part is that I was expecting that I would prefer Werehog over Sonic in terms of gameplay.