The quintessential villain

Because death would've been too merciful.

Vote for the baddest of the bad

Dr. Eggman
31%
Mecha Sonic
2%
Metal Sonic
23%
Fang the Sniper
5%
Witchcart
1%
Great Battle Kukku XV
No votes
Tails Doll
14%
Metal Knuckles
4%
Pachacamac
1%
Chaos
5%
Void
1%
Pr. Gerald Robotnik
7%
Biolizard
5%
Gmerl
No votes

Total votes: 83

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Eggman, no question.

But I do have a soft spot for Fang. In a continuity populated by black and white characters concerned with either conquering or saving the world, there is something so irrefutably cool about a character who is just in it for the cash. Rouge could have had the same appeal if they had went a slightly different direction with her character.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I was going to vote for the Biolizard at first, but then after thinking about it I'd say Eggman.

Biolizard IS the Ultimate Lifeform after all. And he did come closer to destroying the planet than any other Sonic villian even did.

But if it weren't for Eggman reactivating the ARK, the Biolizard would've never been awaken. The god of destruction would've never striked. The chaos emeralds wouldn't be in danger of being brought into the wrong hands. Sonic would never lose a ring... practically. So definately Eggman.

Grant

Post by Grant »

Although I think Prof. Gerald probably did pose the "greatest threat" thus far in a Sonic game, I ended up voting for the Eggman, anyway.

I boiled it down to this: if anyone is ever going to beat Sonic, it's going to be Eggman. He's dedicated his entire life to this one goal, and he uses all of his resources so that someday he might accomplish this. It's not like the doctor has any other hobbies; he's all about killing Sonic every waking moment.

That makes him pretty formidable, I'd say.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Wait a minute. How could he dedicate his entire life for this? I think he met Sonic for the first time in his 40'ies.

Grant

Post by Grant »

I don't think there is a definitive origin for Sonic and Eggman; regardless, I meant "dedicated the rest of his life"

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Eggman seems more focused on conquering the world than killing Sonic. Most of the time he's just minding his own business, working on whatever doomsday weapon is available, until Sonic comes along of his own accord and ruins everything.

In fact, it's pretty rare that Eggman actually outright tries to kill Sonic, rather than just toying around with him.

Grant

Post by Grant »

That's true, but Eggman is always waiting at the end of every zone for Sonic with some sort of new dastardly device designed to destroy him.

I think that Eggman knows Sonic is his only true obstacle to world domination. "World domination" seems to be his lofty, perhaps unattainable, goal that he's set for himself to keep working toward; "killing Sonic" is a goal that is much more realistic and within reach and could open up the dominating of the world.

It's obvious that, at the very least, Eggman gameplans for Sonic. You needn't look any furthur than Metal Sonic for proof.

Although, if Eggman ever did kill Sonic, would he still want to take over the world? It's debatable. Maybe the only reason Eggman "toys around" with Sonic is because if he ever did finish him off, it just wouldn't be any fun anymore?

..I'm positive we're the only people that even care about this.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Although, if Eggman ever did kill Sonic, would he still want to take over the world? It's debatable. Maybe the only reason Eggman "toys around" with Sonic is because if he ever did finish him off, it just wouldn't be any fun anymore?
It's the Batman analogy. Someone once asked "Why does Batman never get shot? Are all the bad guys he fights blind or something?"

Well, yeah - but think about it. The criminals don't WANT to kill Batman. And not because they like him or anything.

They want Batman alive because he refuses to use deadly force.

Thus, criminals like the Joker never actually try to kill Batman - just incapacitate him. Because as long as Batman's around, the police are happy to let him handle everything. But if Batman ever died - the police would have to step in. And they wouldn't just walk in and punch the Joker in the jaw and send him to prison - they'd make fucking swiss cheese out of him.

That's why Eggman never really tries to out and out kill Sonic. They're evenly matched. Without Sonic, you'd have the armies of the world after Eggman - they'd have to do the job themselves. And they'd do a hell of a lot more than just spin through some robots and chase Eggman out of his latest base - they'd nuke his ass back to the stoneage.

That's a true symbiotic relationship.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Huh, I never looked at it like that. It's possible, I guess, but I get the impression that Eggman is a major force in the world. I'm sure it's not that the authorities don't want to take him down, they just can't because he's like, a superpower or something. Y'know, how can they be sure he doesn't have another device of mass destruction orbiting the planet, or perhaps buried in a lab deep beneath the crust? He can obviously make as many robot minions as he wants, so he's got manpower to spare.

I still favor the theory that Eggman subconsciously enjoys the challenge of dealing with Sonic, and that in and of itself has become his motive. If Sonic died, not only would Eggman lose the will to conquer the world, he'd probably flat-fuck lose the will to live.

That in mind is another reason I've chosen Gerald as the deadliest enemy. You can't hold back if you're already dead. Of course, I guess his threat has been expended... Maybe now that Metal Sonic's turned his back on the Eggman bubble, he really is the greatest threat?

I sincerely believe that I'm going to die a poor, lonely man.

Brazillian Cara

I think Eggman does'nt have anything better to do. Just like everyone here.
Other stuff I forgot to tell about the Biolizard: C'mon, he's scarier than any of the other badasses in the list! Who else would roar like a jaguar?

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Somehow I find a god embodying a natural catastrophe (floods mostly) a tad more intimidating than a giant newt on life-support.

Brazillian Cara

Hey, let's put one against the other. Who wins?

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Okay.

Chaos is immortal, relentless, and completely impossible to destroy. Biolizard is neither.

Chaos wins.

Well, that was fun. Now what?

Brazillian Cara

No, I mean Chaos (perfect) against the Finalhazard. Rushing to Earth.
With a big, fat, explodable ARK with it. That's still going to hit Earth even if it dies.
What about now?

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Chaos still wins. He's immortal. Biolizard gets burned up as the Ark crashes into the atmosphere, and Chaos is left standing on a burnt-out world.

Totally-unkillable god always beats mortal kamikaze-lizard. Didn't they teach you that in school?

Brazillian Cara

hmmm...you've got a point. Chaos probably be calmer after this battle and re-construct life in Earth. Think about it- a world full of chaos...
Anyway, I still think the Biolizard is one huge bad-ass.

Grant

Post by Grant »

Green Gibbon! wrote:I still favor the theory that Eggman subconsciously enjoys the challenge of dealing with Sonic, and that in and of itself has become his motive. If Sonic died, not only would Eggman lose the will to conquer the world, he'd probably flat-fuck lose the will to live.
My thoughts exactly, yes. Eggman might say "oh, you know, I'm doing this to conquer the world", but underneath it all, it's to prove that he can outwit the critter. Sonic gives Eggman a purpose.

You know, I bet somebody could even make a case for Eggman's motivation being a latent Freudian attraction to Sonic. Maybe Eggman's trying to "take over the world" is just a primitive way of exerting strength and dominance to childishly flirt with his supposed arch enemy? In other words, could it be that he's showing affection in the only way he knows how; like a third grader pulling the hair of a girl he has crush on?

It could explain why the Doctor is so frustrated and uptight all the time (although, the only time the games have shown him relaxed is when he was around Tails of all people).

Just come out of the closet already, Eggman. You're fooling no one.

Brazillian Cara

Putz! That's fucking confuse! It's just like that guy who made a book just to say Batman and Robin are gay!

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Putz! That's fucking confuse! It's just like that guy who made a book just to say Batman and Robin are gay!
Pfft. Everyone knows that Batman isn't gay.

Peadophiles shouldn't be considered gay.

I mean really, what kind of a guy adopts a constant string of little boys, dresses them in tights, and keeps them in a cave? That's some Micheal Jackson shit, right there. I could forgive him if it was just ONCE - but he's gone through three Robins so far.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

And the new female Rob-OH NO WAIT SHE'S DEAD!

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Chaos. When he's in his Perfect Chaos form, he's virtually unstoppable. And there's no way to control his rage, either.

Brazillian Cara

Well, he became calmer after Sonic kicked his ass.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Who needs years of intense therapy to deal with the agony of losing loved ones when a good ass-kicking is the true path to mental health?

PRV

Post by PRV »

CE wrote:Bottomless Pit, Inc., of course. At their current rate of growth, they will achieve their dream of making the entire world one bottomless pit in two more games' time.
Couldn't agree with you more. Half the time I'm playing SADX, it's a game of "what new infinite drops can we discover today?"

aso

Post by aso »

I pity the poor sap who has to dig those things out.