Cherry popping

Because death would've been too merciful.

What was your first Sonic game?

Sonic the Hedgehog (Gen/MD)
38%
Sonic the Hedgehog (SMS/GG)
13%
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Gen/MD)
30%
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (SMS/GG)
6%
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
6%
Sonic Adventure
2%
Other (write-in)
4%

Total votes: 47

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Re: Cherry popping

Post by G.Silver »

Mecha Sonic was hard until I figured out how exploitable he was. It didn't take that long, after being killed by him so many times, to cool things off I just thought it would be funny to waste a life by spin dashing in the corner and have him land on me--I didn't realize I'd get four free hits on him.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Green Gibbon! wrote:You guys are pussies. Chemical Plant is a breeze. I never had a problem until Metropolis.
Metropolis is the only stage of the classic games to still give me any trouble. I usually die at least once while going through it. Even Sonic 2's 0 ring final bosses are easier for me.

Blount

Post by Blount »

I first saw Sonic in TV commercials, but it wasn't until the first animated series that I got to like him (as a kid, the American artwork used in the commercials always made him seem angry to me, and that had some sort of negative impact on my interpretation of the character). My brother eventually got a Sega Master System II with the first game, and from there on I've loved the series ever since until roughly ten years ago.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

My cousin had a Megadrive Model 1 in 1992 with Sonic 1, so I played that whenever I went to his house. Some time in 1993, I think, I had a fit in K-Mart so my mother got me a model 2 with Sonic 2. Eventually my cousin gave me all his games, so I ended up with both.

For Sonic 3 and Knuckles, I used to mostly rent games, so I did play them in order, but not with lock-on proper (I did so with 1 and 2). I remember not liking Sonic 3 all that much since the racing mode was lame and the special stages had basically no co-op. Most of my time on Megadrive was with co-op games so this really bothered me. For Sonic and Knuckles, I thought the game was very good (rented it a lot), but the total lack of any multiplayer/co-op at all put me off buying it, and it also confused me that Tails was not in it. If Sonic 3 would have been released in the Sonic 3+ edition they were planning, I am sure I would have gotten it.

I also watched a lot of 'Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog' and utterly despised SatAM and the one comic/book with Archie-like stuff in it I got. My opinion on terrible Sonic stories about emotion and war has never changed, so I view myself as always being right and having superior intellect in this regard.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Yeah, I disliked the dramatic cartoon as well. The slapstick one is by no means a great show, but goddamn if five-year-old me didn't prefer it.

Somewhere down the line, I forgot what a good show was and watched the entirety of Sonic X. Thankfully, when I saw Tails flip his emo-top over needing to shoot that plant girl, I regained perspective.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

The first 16-bit Sonic game was my first one. I got it with my Genesis for Christmas '91. (We got rid of our NES soon after, though, including the games for it.)

I've also never, ever, ever liked the Saturday morning cartoon series. Even when I was 9 I thought it was shit.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Forgot to leave my story here, though I'm sure it's already somewhere else in the forum. Anyways, I'll expand on some bits.

Genesis Sonic 2, at my best friend's house. Sometime after that I got a Model 2 and rented the first one, got stuck somewhere in Labyrinth Zone too, most probably at the boss. Later I played 3D Blast (got usually stuck at Spring Stadium's boss, Panic Puppet's still a nightmare), Sonic and Knuckles (stuck at the quicksand falls loop in Sandopolis act 2), and finally Sonic 3 (HAPPY DRUM YAY!!!).
Wombatwarlord777 wrote:Now, Mecha Sonic and the Death Egg, that's tough. As a kid I never thought that Mecha Sonic had a predictable pattern to his attacks. And I still find the Death Egg hard, because it's easy to fall into its spiked hands after landing a hit on its gut.
While I didn't completely nail down Mecha's patterns back then, I usually managed to beat him after four or five tries... but Death Egg. Man. I first watched my friend go against it, and the only way he managed to land a hit was right before he took off, carefully aiming at its lower belly, over its deadly legs and below its fatal claws. I'm sure I was thinking something along the lines of "dude, no way!!" at the idea of having to do that for something like fifteen minutes, with instant death right around the corner and then having to start aaaaaaaaall over. Fortunately, he/ we usually had some continues stacked up by that point.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

First one I had was Sonic 2 for the Game Gear. Oh, the times I had. It took me several weeks to beat the first boss, after that it took me about two hours to finish the game. Great game design, Aspect. The Antlion should have been one of the last bosses in my opinion.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I remember years after playing Sonic 2 on the Game Gear and finding out that there was a Master System version.I remember going, "Wow. That pain-in-the-ass ant lion boss sure looks a lot easier when you can actually see the projectiles being thrown at him." I was surprised at how much of a difference of resolution there was between the two versions.

I'm kinda surprised I ever beat the Game Gear version with its poor resolution. Or that I once knew the entire layout of Scrambled Egg Zone Act 2 by heart..