GHZ Art Contest - Best Art

Because death would've been too merciful.

Whose art is best?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:22 am

Adamis
1%
BlazeHedgehog
1%
cjmcray
1%
dashfox1
18%
DBurraki
29%
Esrever
1%
Frieza2000
1%
G.Silver
3%
Jamie Lee
1%
Kelso
No votes
Opa-Opa
10%
Radrappy
31%
Senbei
3%
theEyZmaster
1%
Wooduck51
1%

Total votes: 191

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Radrappy wrote:I guess it depends on just how bad you want this. I'm trying to let fate decide whether I should buy a wii or not.
I'm with Radrappy. I put this entry so you guys would judge it, so be it, but fate hasn't been such a nice lady to me.

I find it amazing that her artwork is in third though. The Doomsday Zone was my first idea for this contest, but I could never have portrayed it so beautifully.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Opa-Opa wrote: I find it amazing that her artwork is in third though. The Doomsday Zone was my first idea for this contest, but I could never have portrayed it so beautifully.
Wait hold on. You do know that I'm a guy right?
nuckles87 wrote: plus in this pic he included a full back ground, plenty of characters, and Sonic and Metal going at it. Really couldnt' ask for anything better
I am truly distressed by your criteria for excellence.

Also Dashfox I am glad you think my drawing "works".

dashfox1

Post by dashfox1 »

Damn right it works!

It works 24/7

Speak

Post by Speak »

I really, really love dashfox1 art...good job... :cool:

dashfox1

Post by dashfox1 »

thanks mrs. speak
Last edited by dashfox1 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Radrappy wrote:Wait hold on. You do know that I'm a guy right?
I wish I'd disappear inside the ground right now.

I could swear I saw some reply that said something about you being a girl. Really. Now looking back through the whole thread I couldn't find anything related to it.

Deeply sorry about that. But your art's still awesome anyway.

nuckles87

Post by nuckles87 »

I am truly distressed by your criteria for excellence.
As I am a bit distressed by your comment. Please, let me explain.

In my experience in working with artists, theres a lot that goes into a pic. All too often I got caught up in how well someone could model a character, only to find out they couldn't draw backgrounds worth a darn, or where only restricted to a certain type of character.

Thats why, in the end, Dark Burraki didn't get the vote from me. It seemed like he put all his work into the characters, while opting for an obligatory space pic for the background. The sillhoutes up top left a lot to be desired as well. I've seen Burraki do some SWEET backgrounds, some amazing lighting and coloring effects. I think he could have won this contest easily hands down had he had the time to really put some stuff into his piece of art.

You didn't get my vote mostly because of the Knuckles pic, but also because something about it...just didn't quite click. I really dug the coloring style, and you did a REALLY great job with the Super Sonic staring down Robotnik's death machine. The Knuckles part of your piece...just didnt work for me. The coloring style didnt really seem to fit.

The only other picture I considered voting for was G Silvers...who has the second best piece here in my opinion. We got a full background, lots of speed and motion going on, plenty of characters full of life and emotion. This kind of thing is something I rarely see in pictures. Normally, it's just static images of characters in cool poses or something of the sort. They look great, but...kind of boring, too. My only big problem is how it's colored, and the weird mountains on the right that seem to be jetting out of a wall or something...

I voted for Dash because he had a solid mix of all I look in a pic. A great style, solid coloring, a full background that works, characters with personality, and a solid bit of action going on between Sonic and Metal.

In the end, it's all a matter of taste and opinion, is it not? There are plenty of great pieces of art being exhibited here. It's truly a pity that only a few are getting a majority of the votes.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

I respect your opinion and obviously believe we are all entitled to one. It is much more useful to the discussion to post explanations as you have done so now.

That being said, I cannot help but wince still at your reasoning. I'm sorry to sound bitter but you easily find fault in the composition of others and fail to recognize any such flaws in your winning pick.

For instance, you find fault with Silv's mountains but have no apparent problem with the build of Dashfox's own background? You even go so far as to claim Burraki's background is "obligitory". However, what could be more obligatory than checkered hills, a body of water, and a looming flower?

I understand that you like images with many characters present. However, that you highlight this as Burraki’s own flaw while she remains the most successful of all entries in preserving each character's respective personality is unbelievable. Especially when you claim it's such multiple personalities that has sold you.

Please understand I am not picking on Dashfox. I didn’t want to say anything negative about ANY of the entries. You sir, have just crossed the line.

edit: Also, you single out the knuckles portion of my entry to be faulty but give no reason besides the fact that it just didn't work for you. The colors don't work for you. Please be a little more constructive else I will never improve.
Last edited by Radrappy on Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jax

Post by Jax »

OH NOOO, fights out.

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

nuckles87 wrote: Thats why, in the end, Dark Burraki didn't get the vote from me. It seemed like he put all his work into the characters, while opting for an obligatory space pic for the background. The sillhoutes up top left a lot to be desired as well. I've seen Burraki do some SWEET backgrounds, some amazing lighting and coloring effects. I think he could have won this contest easily hands down had he had the time to really put some stuff into his piece of art.
Time truly is a fat, crusty bastard. Had I the time, I probably would of done a much nicer background. But I didn't (I actually had a much worse background, originally, but went back and changed, cutting into my time), and the characters themselves took about an hour, hour and a half a piece by themselves. And even then the background the stars were all made by me, not from a stock photo or anything, so that wasn't all that easy either, really.*

Still, would like something out of it seeing as I nearly gave myself an aneurysm over it. But if I don't get first place... wah wah oh well. Besides, I plan on sticking around here for awhile.

* I feel like I did some sorta weird run on sentence/crappy sentence structure here. I'm kinda running on empty here, though.

nuckles87

Post by nuckles87 »

Radrappy wrote:I respect your opinion and obviously believe we are all entitled to one. It is much more useful to the discussion to post explanations as you have done so now.

That being said, I cannot help but wince still at your reasoning. I'm sorry to sound bitter but you easily find fault in the composition of others and fail to recognize any such flaws in your winning pick.

For instance, you find fault with Silv's mountains but have no apparent problem with the build of Dashfox's own background? You even go so far as to claim Burraki's background is "obligitory". However, what could be more obligatory than checkered hills, a body of water, and a looming flower?

I understand that you like images with many characters present. However, that you highlight this as Burraki’s own flaw while she remains the most successful of all entries in preserving each character's respective personality is unbelievable. Especially when you claim it's such multiple personalities that has sold you.

Please understand I am not picking on Dashfox. I didn’t want to say anything negative about ANY of the entries. You sir, have just crossed the line.
Um...what? A line?

I don't see anything wrong with critiqueing the entries when I'm talking about WHY I didn't vote for them. I saw other people review all the entries, talking about things negative and positive, and I thought I could do the same.

The thing about Dash's picture is that it had ALL of the elements I was looking for. I acknowledge that it was not perfect, but where as the other pictures had one major thing that turned me off, Dash's flaws where smaller, he seemed to do more, and in the end won the vote for me. I didn't mention the flaws in my last post because, well...I wasn't talking about why I DIDN'T vote for him.

My problem with Burraki's picture ISN'T the multitude of characters. That is by far the best part of her piece. She rendered the characters brilliantly, better then anyone else here. But thats only one part of any picture I look at. My problem is the background. Perhaps "obligatory" isn't the right word. It's empty, and appears to be a photo as near as I can tell. I don't want to cross anymore lines here, maybe I was wrong and Burraki colored and drew the space background herself, but thats what I didn't like about.

Lastly, in regards to Silv's mountaints...unlike the slightly odd angle that Dash's background seems to exhibit, these mountains LITTERALLY seem to be coming out of a diagonal wall or something. Although they wheren't my main problem, as much as they where the tipping point. What I really didn't like was the coloring.

I really don't want to insult anyone here. I don't want to get into any debates. I am here, trying to find people to assist me in my growing online Sonic comic. Thats what attracts me to these sorts of things. I don't want to cross any lines or anything.
DBurraki wrote:
nuckles87 wrote: Thats why, in the end, Dark Burraki didn't get the vote from me. It seemed like he put all his work into the characters, while opting for an obligatory space pic for the background. The sillhoutes up top left a lot to be desired as well. I've seen Burraki do some SWEET backgrounds, some amazing lighting and coloring effects. I think he could have won this contest easily hands down had he had the time to really put some stuff into his piece of art.
Time truly is a fat, crusty bastard. Had I the time, I probably would of done a much nicer background. But I didn't (I actually had a much worse background, originally, but went back and changed, cutting into my time), and the characters themselves took about an hour, hour and a half a piece by themselves. And even then the background the stars were all made by me, not from a stock photo or anything, so that wasn't all that easy either, really.*

Still, would like something out of it seeing as I nearly gave myself an aneurysm over it. But if I don't get first place... wah wah oh well. Besides, I plan on sticking around here for awhile.

* I feel like I did some sorta weird run on sentence/crappy sentence structure here. I'm kinda running on empty here, though.
Oh...wow. Kinda wish I knew that before I voted. :oops:

I've seen too many pics on DA using photos as backgrounds, and, well....guess thats just how well you did the background. :oops:

Sorry. :oops:
Jax wrote:OH NOOO, fights out.
No Jax, no fight. I'd sooner just leave this place then jepordize my possible rep in an art community I'd like to be on good terms with.
Last edited by nuckles87 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

you're right. There is no line. Welcome to the GHZ.

nuckles87

Post by nuckles87 »

Awesome :D. Does this mean I have now been inducted into the community?

PS: Thanks for not continuing...you are a bigger man then me.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

I'm actually amazed by G.Silver's lack of votes. His piece is amazing, and the fisheye thing just makes it better.

Vector

Post by Vector »

The top 3 are very close for me, but I voted DBurakki.

1. DBurraki (best character art, and Espio)
2. Jamie Lee (most official looking)
3. Redrappy (beautiful scene)

http://www.theghz.com/files/contest/bad ... tEntry.jpg

This made me LOL.

And Ngangbius, damn. Is that supposed to be Sonic being milked in some agri-industrial monstrosity or is it just randomly disturbing?
Last edited by Vector on Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jax

Post by Jax »

GROUP HUG IN THE SHOWER TONIGHT.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

The grilling continues...
What I really didn't like was the coloring.
The coloring or the color? And what don't you like about it? :)

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

In the rules or not if the poll stays this way I'm likely to vomit.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Opa-Opa wrote:I'm actually amazed by G.Silver's lack of votes. His piece is amazing, and the fisheye thing just makes it better.
A lot of these entries are great, which is why I still haven't decided yet.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Silv's was sexy, for sure (WHAT A SURPRISE), but I had to go with Rappy. I almost went with Blaze's freakin' awesome rendition of Sonic 2, because I love that game and I appreciate the effort that went in after seeing that sweet time lapse video. You, sir, have taken Paint Shop, a program I can merely give nervous sweaty cuddles to, and bent it over a kitchen table, ramming it repeatedly into submission.

Or something.

Yeah, anyway, this is an ART contest, and I like art that is scribbly and watercoloury. And the Doomsday thing was keen. Rappy wins.

Man, I'm surprised Blaze didn't get more votes, thinking about it.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

James McGeachie wrote:In the rules or not if the poll stays this way I'm likely to vomit.
I wonder if the current victor realizes that many of the participants could also muster votes and win if they wanted it, turning this contest into something even worse.

istavan_toth

Post by istavan_toth »

I couldn't decide between Opa-opa and DBurraki's drawings, but I finally settled with DBurraki. I really dig Sonic's facial expression in that drawing.

RickDumal

Post by RickDumal »

Facial expression???? Sonic is doing his typical face, and all heroes´ typical faces that is lookinf foward ans smiling. This facial expression can be found at any Sonic game cover.
My vote to OPA OPA!
Great idea of Green hill zone 3d view!!
Radrappy´s Knuckels is very good too. great painting and shadows.

see ya!

Jax

Post by Jax »

Anybody besides me find Istavan kinda cute?

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

If you want my opinion (and obviously you do), Dashfox's picture is highly "meh" and I'd be disappointed if he won. The idea and setting are fine (if generic) but the art is disproportional and not pleasing to the eyes.

Dburraki's picture would be much, much better if he cut off the top half.

It came down to OpaOpa and Radrappy for me, and I decided on Opa because I love scenery pictures.