GHZ Art Contest - Best Art

Because death would've been too merciful.

Whose art is best?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:22 am

Adamis
1%
BlazeHedgehog
1%
cjmcray
1%
dashfox1
18%
DBurraki
29%
Esrever
1%
Frieza2000
1%
G.Silver
3%
Jamie Lee
1%
Kelso
No votes
Opa-Opa
10%
Radrappy
31%
Senbei
3%
theEyZmaster
1%
Wooduck51
1%

Total votes: 191

Deckman

Post by Deckman »

I really liked a lot of these drawings. Esrever's was simplistic yet stylish, and I think it went underappreciated. G. Silv's looks excellent and is very creative; I'd love to see Sonic characters riding badniks in a future game (who the fuck am I kidding, I've given up on Sonic games anyway). Blaze and Radrappy had some great final scenes, and I would use Rappy's on my desktop if I had two monitors. Dburraki's picture is something that I'd love to see on a poster. Those weren't the only ones I liked, but I don't want to write anymore descriptions, and you don't want to read them.

I'm not going to mention names of the artists that I definitely don't think should win, because I don't want to offend Kelso, Frieza, or Dashfox.

It was such a hard decision to pick whom to vote for that I already forgot what my choice was. So let us assume that I voted for Eggman Nigga. Not for Frieza's drawing, but Eggman Nigga himself.

Jax

Post by Jax »

Umm...what's with the N-bomb being dropped?

Deckman

Post by Deckman »

What, you didn't see Frieza's drawing?

Why do I keep calling that a drawing?

WW

Post by WW »

I'm going to have to draw Eggman Nigga one day, out of principle.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I'm surprised that was in the Best Art category... seems more like an attempt at worst.

That said, Eggman Nigga redeems it considerably.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Radrappy wrote:Opa Opa. Do it. Decency left this contest about three days ago when the poll first became skewed. In my opinion, you should be a contender for the top three. If you believe that you work deserves it then do it. When you glance over this very discussion topic, it becomes pretty apparent that you have the strong support of actual GHZ members.
I do believe my work deserves it but... bugging each one of my friends to register and vote for me would be not just annoying for them but also for me. I guess I'm pretty satisfied with having gained 15 of your votes. So it's like the end of Rocky 1. I lived my 15 rounds and I'm happy about it. Now I'm gonna party with Adrian.

EDIT: Well, actually 3 of the 4 people I spoke about before posting this actually registered and voted on me. Which is kinda cool. But it's still a long long way to go.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Man, if you had posted yours a little earlier (before the official topic was closed) you'd probably get my vote; fazer o quê... but it's beautiful, cara. Do you actually work with art, or it's just Devianart stuff?

Anyway, Radrappy got another vote- the nostalgia factor was well used, as was the paintbrush style.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Design na UFRJ.

Yeah. I took some time doing this. Bummer.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Shadow Hog wrote:I'm surprised that was in the Best Art category... seems more like an attempt at worst.
Every poll needs a gag entry.

Also, it occurs to me that the new guys won't understand some of it. Shadow's comment about Blaze was actually one of GG!'s quips from the initial Blaze the fucking cat topic, and the blooper on Silver's head is inspired by his front page update.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

DBurraki art is soo good that people should beg him to do some posters for Sonic The Comic Online...

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Hmm... it seems we're at a tie at the moment. We should probably consider some rules for this cage match.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I have a pair of 2x4's here the combatants could use...

Bo
Drano Master

Post by Bo »

In the event of a tie, the contest goes to Opa-Opa.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

and not just first prize. All of them.

Persona-sama

Post by Persona-sama »

Man, how many more votes do I have to rig before this contest is made right??

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

Didn't you say that when you linked this contest, you never actually stated who to vote for but left it up to their discretion? That being the case, aren't you not rigging it but instead just bringing in more votes?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

The polls will automatically close sometime early Sunday morning, so there's a little over 24 hours left. Get your votes in.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Bo wrote:In the event of a tie, the contest goes to Opa-Opa.
Excellent idea.

Grant

Post by Grant »

For the hell of it, here are the three that I thought most deserved to win the prizes.

1) Opa Opa. Like I said before, it's a creative approach to show an unusual viewpoint of a familiar 2D location rather than characters posing. I get the feeling most people here can draw a decent looking Sonic (or just pose their toys like Kelso's looks like), but maybe not everyone would be able to or willing to do this sort of thing. Anyway, I like it.

2) Radrappy. The poll has come down to essentially Radrappy and DBurraki, and this is the guy I'd rather see win. It's big and epic and it has a unique style to it rather than trying to mimic someone else's style. Another thing I like is that while both characters are engaged in battle, there's no action happening on panel - it's all just about to happen, which seems like a slightly more unique approach than showing mid-battle or characters posing.

3) Senbei. This dude should've had more votes too. You get a real sense of speed and action in the panels and it looks cool. Someone else pointed out the dust clouds shouldn't have been colored brown and that seems legit, but I still like it quite a bit.

Xeric Foxman

Post by Xeric Foxman »

Vote DBurraki or feel the wrath of my boot up your as-*shot*

Pudin

Post by Pudin »

And now it is tied.
GO DB!

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

This topic is for discussion, not cheerleading.

Leedz

Post by Leedz »

Arcade wrote:DBurraki art is soo good that people should beg him to do some posters for Sonic The Comic Online...
*coughs* Burraki is a girl.

DBurraki

Post by DBurraki »

Radrappy wrote:This topic is for discussion, not cheerleading.
Exactly.

I'm not sure I really appreciate it either. Votes, sure. 'Moral support'? Not so much. If I lose I lose.

Anyway, Radrappy, I sense what may be impending loss. Just wanted to tell you it was a pleasure competing against you- in fact, it's a pleasure knowing I'm at least somewhat good enough in regards to artistic skill to compete against someone of your artistic skill. Tomorrow if it shows that you're indeed the victor, well, I certainly won't be angry.

I feel somewhat guilty about Opa Opa's standings in the poll as well...

Leedz wrote: *coughs* Burraki is a girl.
THAT IS DEBATABLE.
Last edited by DBurraki on Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

The same goes for you. Although I wouldn't jump to conclusions regarding the outcome. I've admired your work for the longest time and am proud to have a standoff against one who was so prolific in my fanart youth.