GHZ Art Contest - Best Art

Because death would've been too merciful.

Whose art is best?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:22 am

Adamis
1%
BlazeHedgehog
1%
cjmcray
1%
dashfox1
18%
DBurraki
29%
Esrever
1%
Frieza2000
1%
G.Silver
3%
Jamie Lee
1%
Kelso
No votes
Opa-Opa
10%
Radrappy
31%
Senbei
3%
theEyZmaster
1%
Wooduck51
1%

Total votes: 191

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I feel kind of bad about my entry. I only had an hour or two available to work on it, but I felt obliged to try since I'm an artist and I've been posting here forever. I thought I could get away with doing something relatively simple and quick if I made it really stylized. In hindsight, I probably should have sat this one out all together rather than doing it half-assed, not getting a single vote and feeling like a dork. My submission was totally outclassed by folks who obviously put way more time and thought into the process than I did.

Silv gets my vote. There was lots of great stuff, but I gravitate to his because I just have a personal stylistic preference for nice solid confident line-art over this newfangled loosey goosey smudgy Painter business. (A lot of the newfangled loosey goosey smudgy Painter business was very well done, though!)

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I don't think you've given your entry enough credit. It's well done and polished with style. Whereas others are merely copying other styles (myself included) your sonic representation is yours alone. I don't want to sound patronizing, especially to someone who's work I respect as much as yours. I start checking rabidly at 11:30 every other night to see if Sam and Fuzzy has updated yet(I cannot get enough of the plot twists) and have been watching your art here since freshman year of high school.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Hah! I'm glad you enjoy the comic so much. Although really, that comic is the main thing diverting effort from projects like this. ;)

I don't want to sound like a big self-deprecating wiener or anything. I know I can crank out an OK-looking picture... it's just that my entry really wasn't very ambitious. I mean, look at the less conventional composition or great sense of setting that yours and Silv's entries have, for example. It makes them a lot more interesting than a 3/4 Sonic and a Metal Sonic that I put in shadows so I wouldn't have to actually draw him. Hah!

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I put in several hours, have three votes (now) and I still feel kinda like a dork. ;) I thought it was really cool too, if anything the minimalist approach works very well, and it's keeping in with your style for Sam and Fuzzy. I thought it was intentional, and I was envious that you could make it look so effortless.

On the no votes thing, there's a bit of a weakness with this voting method, since we're only allowed one vote but there are going to be three places--this really will only determine number 1 accurately, since there's no way to know who all the people who vote for number 1 actually consider their number 2 and 3. We'd still be seeing a pretty stratified vote (maybe even moreso), but you'd still see a lot more lower-value votes piling up for us losers.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Well, it was sort of intentional. When time effectively forces you to be a minimalist, you try and come up with a concept that minimalism actually suits. Hah!

I guess the voting system isn't perfect, especially since you can see how many votes each entry has before you actually vote yourself. But still... the four most popular entries at the moment are some of the best anyway, so in the end it probably didn't matter.

Anyhow, thanks for the nice words. You guys are sweeties. If you manage to delude me into thinking I deserve to win, I promise I'll plug the contest on my site and completely hijack the vote. ;)

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Haha, I'd say you should totally do that, except you already have Sonic Wildfire, so let one of the poorer people win it.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

I voted for G.Silver's entry, as I loved the concept.

I'm surprised we rarely see Sonic riding Eggman's robots in-game - it really suits his character.

^_^

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

In my quest to become better I must ask, how did I do at the coloring of my picture? I realize it's not top notch quite yet, but somewhere between "shit" and "fabulous" where would it rank?
Last edited by Wooduck51 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Voted for DBurakki.

I WAS going to vote for Rappy, but the movie poster-esque style of Burakki's pic sold it for me.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

I voted for Senbei, as I recall. Earth tones or not, I dig the framing of each panel. There was an artist in the Archie Comic way back when, like issue #47 or something, drew kind of like this - with an incredible sense of motion in each panel. I loved that artist.

And that's what this reminds me of. It just nails Sonic as a character.

Hyperactive

Post by Hyperactive »

Dashfox1 got 17 votes.
Really?????

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Uh yeah I was wondering about that... it's a pretty good picture and all but in comparison, well.... I'd rather not make accusations of foul play/vote stuffing but yeah... lot of new members over the last few days weren't there?

Anyway I voted for Radrappy. There really is a lot of high quality entries here but none of the others blew me away completely like the knuckles shot. The perspective, colour palette, colouring style...everything is pretty much perfect. A level of skill I could never hope to have the patience to come close to reaching.
Last edited by James McGeachie on Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Guys, Holic ENCOURAGED people to cheat. It's RIGHT THERE in the submission thread.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Well then everything is super. I'd just assumed it was a bit more serious what the the prizes and all.

dashfox1

Post by dashfox1 »

Yeah however i haven't been cheating i've been asking my friends on campus to vote for me since my buddy list online is a bit short.
Last edited by dashfox1 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I know cheating was encouraged, Del, but I'm not going to tell thousands of people to come here to vote for me! I'd feel like such a tool.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I guess it depends on just how bad you want this. I'm trying to let fate decide whether I should buy a wii or not.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Well, I'm not saying you should, Es. I'm just telling the folks noticing sudden leaps in votes for certain people to stop looking for conspiracies. There isn't one. We're all very upfront about being liars and cheats.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

And that sucks all the fun right out of it! ;)

dashfox1

Post by dashfox1 »

Needing the Extra rush esrever?

Hyperactive

Post by Hyperactive »

dashfox1 wrote:Needing the Extra rush esrever?
Have your mummy voted yet?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Shut the fuck up.

nuckles87

Post by nuckles87 »

Wow, great art all around...but I've always loved Dash fox's style, plus in this pic he included a full back ground, plenty of characters, and Sonic and Metal going at it. Really couldnt' ask for anything better.

Even then, though...it was a tough call between him and Burraki. For me, anyway.

I have to admit, I am rather dissapointed with how few votes Adamis is getting. I've always considered him to be one of the premier artists of the Sonic community. Kinda sucks that he's only gotten one vote so far.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Wooduck51 wrote:In my quest to become better I must ask, how did I do at the coloring of my picture? I realize it's not top notch quite yet, but somewhere between "shit" and "fabulous" where would it rank?
Actually, I really like the coloring. Not only is the background very pretty, but the lighted wall behind Sonic makes him look shadowy (no pun intended) and more menacing. The positioning of the safe on the right does bother me a bit; I think I'd prefer the picture to be more symmetrical. My favorite part is definitely Naka and Iizuka's faces, though.

dashfox1

Post by dashfox1 »

Really i do enjoy Radrappys work. It just works it seems kinda rough with brush strokes but it just seems to work.