Can't hold on much longer

Because death would've been too merciful.

If the next-gen Sonic games fail to deliver, will you still remain interested in the series?

Poll ended at Mon May 22, 2006 8:28 am

No. There are only so many disappointments I can take
20%
Provided the new games get enough right, I’ll be willing to give Sonic another chance
41%
No matter how bad things get, I’ll always remain devoted
39%

Total votes: 51

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

I don't come across that dilemma much, but it depends whose ass it is.
But anyway, as long as Sega keep shitting out Sonic games (quality of turd may vary) then we'll have something to discuss here.
True, we discuss pretty much any computer game here, but this is a Sonic based community. We can't discuss the old Sonic forever.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Majestic Joey wrote:One time I was playing sonic rush in the hallways in my school and this cute girl comes up to me with her DS and asks what I'm playing. I reply, "Sonic rush" and then she says, "oh, I like mario more." I then say,"Fuck you. Sonic kicks the fuck out of mario." and then she left. That's how loyal of a sonic fan I am.
If you where whith a gamegear in 1994 and playing Sonic, I would have believed you.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

Ngangbius wrote:So, like would you turn down sex with Monica Bellucci even if she said Sonic sucks ass?
Ok when you say it like that I do sound pretty bad.

And also, if you don't believe me-screw you, I don't have to impress you.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

All of the 3D games have maintained at least a decent quality level, SA2 being the best of them in my book. The Advance games and Rush can be mostly forgiven since Sega had the no-names at Dimps craft them

Hold your tongue, fiend. Dimps has shown more talent in handling the characters than Sonic Team itself. Sonic Rush is a far more entertaining and well-put together game than Sonic Heroes could ever hope to be. And the Sonic Advances would be really great, if you just smushed everything in them into a single game.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

*shrugs* I found the Sonic Advance games to be of average quality, though, I guess I have to agree that they are better than Heroes. I remember purchasing the first two games, because I was starved for any original platformers for the handheld, I was still a bit into Sonic's "revival", and they were pretty cheap. A year or so later, I resorted to renting SAdv3 after riding on the disappointment of Heroes and I do remember enjoying it, but not enought to spend $30 on it. I did enjoy Rush more than any of the Advances but it sadly suffered bottomless pit-itis. =( The best thing that came from the games is that they make great babysitting fodder for 5-year olds. =D My young cousins seem to prefer the 2D games and is enthusiastic when I break out the Sonic Mega Collection + and Sonic Advance 1+2. They don't seem to keen on Sonic Adventure or other Sonic 3D games saying it is too hard. They do dig what they call "the rolling game" which is known here as Katamari Damacy.

Oh yeah, about the original topic, I lie somewhere between the first and second option. Even though as a character I like Sonic and certain other characters in the franchise, it doesn't mean crap to me if their games suck. I really don't think it is wise to spend $50-$60 on a medocre game just because it features your favorite character. That why shit like Spongebob, DBZ, and 50 Cent Bulletproof sell while gems like Shadow of the Colossus and Okami(okay so it is not out in the West yet, but I have no doubt it will be passed over for the latest EA franchise-hell game) bomb hard and as of this moment, sad to say, many of Sega's Sonic offerings are on the same level as EA's, THQ's, BVG's and Atari's shovelware. I can't really ignore the happenings of the franchise like I wish too because as Omni Hunter says, this is mainly a Sonic/Sonic Team-based forum. News about every Sonic game no matter how groan-worthy it is nowadays will pop-up sooner or later. =P

So I've nearly lost faith in the series, and I think the fanbase in general is more retarded than the Final Fantasy* and Zelda ones, but eh, if Sega makes a good Sonic game then I'll be willing to jump in--at least for that game.

(*) In the event that if that steaming pile, FFVII:Dirge of Cerebus move a million units per market then I will declare FF fans as bad as Sonic fans--well, at least the FF7 fankids. 420,000 Japanese players were already suckered out of 8000 yen for that tripe. XD

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Majestic Joey wrote:One time I was playing sonic rush in the hallways in my school and this cute girl comes up to me with her DS and asks what I'm playing. I reply, "Sonic rush" and then she says, "oh, I like mario more." I then say,"Fuck you. Sonic kicks the fuck out of mario." and then she left. That's how loyal of a sonic fan I am.
This story is entirely lie.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Ngangbius wrote:(*) In the event that if that steaming pile, FFVII:Dirge of Cerebus move a million units per market then I will declare FF fans as bad as Sonic fans--well, at least the FF7 fankids. 420,000 Japanese players were already suckered out of 8000 yen for that tripe. XD
Final Fantasy fans <i>as bad</i> as Sonic fans? Are you kidding me?

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Are you saying that they are already as bad or worse?

How bad they are varies from title to title, for example I don't expect the most psycho FFIV fan to be as awful as the psycho FFVII fan.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I don't like the ones that force-feed the idea that those who started with FFVII or later aren't "real" Final Fantasy fans. And think that FFVI is the best RPG ever (more like the most overrated SNES RPG ever, along with the SNES Zelda game). And that the new games are all graphics and no gameplay.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Tsuyoshi wrote:And think that FFVI is the best RPG ever (more like the most overrated SNES RPG ever, along with the SNES Zelda game).
OMGGTFO!! >:(

Well, actually that's true. FFVI isn't the best RPG ever. Earthbound is...but then again I haven't played Planescape Torment, Vagrant Story, Fallout, and Oblivion, yet.

At this time, you could easily apply the statement with FFVII fans seeing that the game is almost ten years old and their voices are much larger seeing that the game was more popular and is cursed with some awful spin-offs.

I'm not fond of those fans who refuse to try or denounce any FF game that did debut on the PS consoles saying the graphics were inferior which according to them equates a total inferior game. Funny thing is FFVI aged much better graphically than FFVII.
Last edited by Ngangbius on Thu May 18, 2006 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zarathustra
Douche Banned
Location: The nuclear waste land... Argentina for those not in da Groove

Post by Zarathustra »

Ngangbius wrote:Funny thing is FFVI aged much better graphically than FFVII.
Maybe cause 3D simply explodes in evolution every new console generation, and 2D graphics (PARTICULARLY RPG's... and yes, I know Disgaea, Phantom Brave, etc.) aren't used anymore?

The best RPG's Chrono Trigger (and fuck Chrono Cross' almost as good in an entirely different way). Then, add it some Grandia 1. If you're very fond on it, try Lunar.

This reminded me, does someone know a Saturn title called Willy Wombat? I remember the name, but not the game and/ or it's genre.

EDIT: I DO remember it's from Konami. Maybe.
RE-EDIT: No, it's from Hudson Soft.
Last edited by Zarathustra on Thu May 18, 2006 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I didn't really like Oblivion. My problem with it was that the enemies scale with you when you level. That in itself isn't the problem, but it seemed like the higher level I got, the more powerful the enemies got. It got to the point, around level 20 where I was fighitng 5 guys at once, when one was way more than enough to kill me by himself. I have heard if you level up properly, getting the most out of each level, it isn't as bad, but I don't want to do research and spend time leveling up properly. I want to kill shit and get expierience, then slowly become the most powerful motherfucker on earth. I still wouldn't have minded if the enemies weren't impossibly tough. Then again, only me and my friend seemed to have this problem, maybe we were doing something wrong.

As for the Sonic fans vs Final Fantasy fans, I agree the FF7 fans are far far worse. The Final Fantasy as a whole fans can certainly rival Sonic fans on a good day though.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

I may huff and puff, but I'm a die hard Sonic fan for life. No matter how shit the franchise gets, I'll always be able to reflect on my memories and experiences the earlier, better games gave me. And in those memories, I will always be a Sonic fan.

It's public/mainstream opinion when I start declaring doom and drama. I consider Sonic fans a lot more tolerable of Sonic's shittier outings, but if the mainstream public is really the only people Sega cares about regarding the franchise, I figure they won't be able to take many more stupid decisions before they leave the blue blur for dead.

Zarathustra
Douche Banned

Post by Zarathustra »

Light Speed wrote:As for the Sonic fans vs Final Fantasy fans, I agree the FF7 fans are far far worse. The Final Fantasy as a whole fans can certainly rival Sonic fans on a good day though.
I liked FF VII, but I HATE DEEPLY every spin-off. Well, so I'm not a qualified FF VII die-hard fan, then.

Just Forget it.

Dr Kintobor

Post by Dr Kintobor »

Arcade wrote:
If you where whith a gamegear in 1994 and playing Sonic, I would have believed you.
Yes the GameGear had a few good titles. 3 in my mind. I only liked Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and Sonic Chaos. Never really got into the others but should really try and complete them on my Mega and Gem Collections games.
Sonic 2 has to be one of the hardest older Sonic titles. Controling that hang-glider was a nightmare.

Zarathustra
Douche Banned

Post by Zarathustra »

Dr Kintobor wrote:Sonic 2 has to be one of the hardest older Sonic titles. Controling that hang-glider was a nightmare.
It was notoriously designed with the Master System in mind.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

This reminded me, does someone know a Saturn title called Willy Wombat? I remember the name, but not the game and/ or it's genre.
It's a top-down action/platformer, that is, there is jumping and elevation changes, essentially making it an early 3D platformer, but it's really quite 2D. I didn't find it much fun but I didn't play it much either, I recall some people (maybe even GG!?) seemed to like it back when it came out. I didn't get it until considerably later.

The thing that always stood out to me was that the characters were all designed by that guy who does the Famitsu and Adventure Island covers, but once converted into tiny prerendered sprites they lose all that appeal.

Zarathustra
Douche Banned

Post by Zarathustra »

Thanx.

Also, I'm aware about this little thingy...

It's from Treasure and is supposedly a sidescrolling 2D platformer, which some people relate in some way to the Dreamcast's IKARUGA.
I was told it was converted to the PSX, so I could buy it, if I'm able to find it. Could anyone tell me if it's a game worth the buy, and the trouble to find?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

It's a side-scrolling shooter. Imagine something like Megaman, but with a weapon inventory styled after flying 2-D shooters like Parodus. Anyways, it's definately worth the buy. At least it was for me, who snagged it for nine bucks at a convience store.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

I hate to categorize it as a shooter, Megaman too. They are shooting games, yes, but, really, not like a flying shooter, the weapons are closer to things like Contra or Megaman such. Anyway yeah. You can totally read up on Silhouette Mirage anywhere. It's more platformer in its need for strategy (the direction you face effects your shot "attribute," as opposed to Ikaruga's switch-button method. It's got several gorgeous 2D levels and even more crazy Treasure bosses, and that's really all you need, right?

The PSX version is notable for WD's tampering with it, they made some gameplay adjustments that ramp up the difficulty, but honestly I thought the game was too easy. WD's version requires more strategy and thought and a bit of planning, but I don't think it hurts the game any.

Zarathustra
Douche Banned

Post by Zarathustra »

Megaman? Contra? Crazy bosses? PSX version even HARDER (considering Treasure's stardard)? Absolutely worth the trouble, then. Thanks again ^_^.
Still off-topic, did someone on Earth (or at least someone browsing this forum) play and win Genesis' "Dynamite Headdy"?

I tried.
With save-states.
I simply couldn't.
Do I suck, or what?

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Prinsdam was the coolest character/boss arena ever.
Zarathustra wrote:Still off-topic, did someone on Earth (or at least someone browsing this forum) play and win Genesis' "Dynamite Headdy"?

I tried.
With save-states.
I simply couldn't.
Do I suck, or what?
You really do. I've beaten it several times now, once without losing a single life.

Zarathustra
Douche Banned

Post by Zarathustra »

Or maybe you're just too much cool.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Man, you kids today. Maybe that harder version of SM is not for you after all. :)

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

By completing Dynamite Headdy, do you mean passing the whole game, or getting the best ending and beating the game? I've only gotten the best ending once, mainly because doing those basketball bonus stages was a pain. You only get 6 or 7 attempts to do all 4, they're hard, and you must remember the 4-digit code after the LOOOOOOONG credits roll. At least you get unlimited chances to beat the boss after the credits.

For the record, Dynamite Headdy might be one of the best, most original Genesis games ever. I heard a lot of stuff got changed around from the Japanese version, mostly visual edits a la Ristar. Anyone ever play the original Japanese version?