Vaguely Easter inspired poll

Because death would've been too merciful.

Thoughts on Giant Egg:

Eggcellent
3%
Good game that could have benefited from eggstra incubation time
10%
Good concept with poor eggsecution
26%
It was a yoke - the concept was a bad egg
6%
Haven’t played it yet but hope to one day
13%
Haven’t played it and have no intention of doing so
42%

Total votes: 31

big_smile
Drano Master

Vaguely Easter inspired poll

Post by big_smile »

Easter is a time when the humble egg is transformed into a symbol of new life. Did Sonic Team’s egg themed game represent the resurrection of their creativity or provide another reason for their crucifixion?

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I said good concept, with poor eggsecution. The game was colorful and fun, but if you were without an egg you were pretty useless. Also once you had an egg, movement was far too difficult. Especially since and drastic change in direction usually caused you to drop the egg. Basically, I thought the game was ok, but he controls kind of sucked. I never got terribly far into the game.

Looshi

Post by Looshi »

It didn't seem that bad. But I haven't played it since they day I bought it, so I guess it didn't end up being that good. I might have played some multiplayer here and there but I never got into the single player game

I mean, the usual Sonicteam quirks were there (bad camera, bugs, ect) but that is certainly forgivable. Well, after playing Heroes it seems forgivable. It just lacked that thing to draw me back to the game and was easily replaced.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

I posted my thoughts here, but here's some things I hadn't said:
-- The bosses were pretty pathetic. Most of them have you waiting for an opportunity to pound the crap out of them to just come strolling along (plz shoot whoever came up with Topo and Moles). I think the most clever of the lot was the first half of the Dark Raven fight, which isn't saying much, and ironically, the most fun of them was Dark Corvo - ironic because the stage leading up to him is sheer hell and 80% of it is a rehash fight.
-- Even if the guy who designed and programmed the red egg rails were to commit seppku, I still wouldn't have a lick of respect for him.
-- I guess I can understand why less effort was put into making a good story, but could they have at least tried hard enough to make one that isn't completely flat?
-- This is Sonic Team's worst camera system yet. Pressing the C Stick down zooms the camera out almost vertically - oh, like that will do anyone any good?

That's a lot bitching, yes, but the game didn't turn out too hot. Good concept (to a point), sloppy effort.

BTW: smile, those puns can be considered crimes against the english language punishable by tongue and/or finger decapitation.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

The main problem with Giant Egg derives from the mission system. Although the levels are fairly huge, the missions limit which section of the stage the player can access. There are also too many missions, most of which fail to offer the player any real incentive to complete them.

It would have been much better if the player had a set path to follow within each level, but could use the egg creatures to deviate from this route to find new areas. This would have made exploring the stages more interesting and enjoyable then simply selecting missions from a menu.

While the minor problems with the controls, camera and egg rails could have easily been fixed with a few months of extra development time, rectifying the mission system would have required some fundamental design changes which is why I voted for the third option.

The visual and character design in Giant Egg, however, oozed imagination and creativity and were just about on par with Sonic Team’s 90s games, which isn’t something that can be said for more recent efforts such as Shadow, F.P.S or even Sonic the Hedgehog.
BTW: smile, those puns can be considered crimes against the english language punishable by tongue and/or finger decapitation.
These were vaguely inspired by the Giant Egg thread on the old Hotboards forum, which contained puns that were just as bad.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

I haven't played it yet, but I've always been mildly curious about it. I'll probably get it some day since it's only $20 now.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Actually, I think Big Smile, a being composed entirely of spiritual purity and innocent wisdom, may be the sole person allowed to crack those jokes.

... Crack those jokes?

LOL?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

More like crack those <i>yolks</i>. Genius!

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I don't think you qualify as a being composed entirely of spiritual purity and innocent wisdom. If anything, I'd say you are primarily composed of ass.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I still haven't played the game since that one time I played it when I first got it, if anyone remembers that particular frontpage update. You would think I must have hated it, but I didn't.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

It was a attempt to recicle a old idea whithout having a good sight of how the game would be in 3D. if the game had been in 2D, everything would have worked right...

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Somehow, it's not hard to imagine that game in 2-D. Think of it as something inspired by Yoshi's Island.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

What very little I've played of Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, I didn't like.

Being in 2-D ala Yoshi's Island wouldn't help it out, especially if it plays like it. I have some sort of grudge against Yoshi's Island, I swear.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

In 2D, it would have been a lot easier, just think of a game where you move a giant Egg to right or left and smash enemies. Simple and fun!.