Choose your fighter!

Because death would've been too merciful.

How do you throw it down?

Dead or Alive. So what if it's really shallow and-- BOOBIES!
13%
Guilty Gear. Crazy characters are my thing.
9%
King of Fighters. Street Fighter is for n00bs.
No votes
Marvel vs. Capcom. I like flashy colors.
9%
Mortal Kombat. I have an insatiable bloodlust.
1%
Soul Calibur. Big blades are cool.
9%
Street Fighter (2, Alpha, III). Kickin' it old-school.
12%
Super Smash Bros. It really is a fighting game, guys!
31%
Tekken. I hate myself.
1%
Virtua Fighter. I consider myself a man of refined taste.
9%
Other.
6%

Total votes: 68

Starscream

Post by Starscream »

Soul Calibur for me. But I have a soft spot for Mortal Kombat.

Virtua Fighter is for snobs. :cool:

Zaranth

Post by Zaranth »

gotta go with SSBM, seeing as how it's the only one i've actually played. but it's damn good fun, which is what matters most right?

actually, now that i'm thinking about it, Primal Rage was great too. does anyone remember that game?

Kid Solomon

Post by Kid Solomon »

MARVEL VS. CAPCOM 4 LIFE

Starscream

Post by Starscream »

Zaranth wrote:actually, now that i'm thinking about it, Primal Rage was great too. does anyone remember that game?
Eh, Primal Rage was one of the absolute low-points in fighting game history... But my memory is clouded. There was a time arcades were flooded with Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat clones. I can't say if it was any worse than say Rise of the Robots though (which, incidentally, is the game I took my avatar from ~ useless info lalala) but it has to be a close tie. Armaddon sucked and Diablo was overpowered. :cool:

I don't know if anyone remembers Ballz on Sega Megadrive? Now *that* was a weird fighting game. The cartridge was longer than any other I had. A bit like S & K but without the lock-on. I think Ballz was touted as the first real 3D fighting game back in the day.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Actually, your avatar looks like Glacius from Killer Instinct.

Zaranth

Post by Zaranth »

Starscream wrote:
Zaranth wrote:actually, now that i'm thinking about it, Primal Rage was great too. does anyone remember that game?
Eh, Primal Rage was one of the absolute low-points in fighting game history... But my memory is clouded.
well, maybe it's me. i guess i have a thing for giant dinosaurs beating the crap out of each other and the gore that goes with it. and i call myself an animal lover. :grin:
I don't know if anyone remembers Ballz on Sega Megadrive? Now *that* was a weird fighting game. The cartridge was longer than any other I had. A bit like S & K but without the lock-on. I think Ballz was touted as the first real 3D fighting game back in the day.

that looks darn freaky. and sucky. was it any fun to play?[/quote]

Starscream

Post by Starscream »

No it ranks right up with Rise of the Robots. But perhaps a little more fun. The booklet mentioned like 3 moves for every character, then tentatively added (and 20 more...). Well I suppose paper is expensive to print on. Of course the death-blows the CPU performed on you by round three were omitted. As if I could just dream them up in practice...

Nowadays it's simple: look up a guide on the net and there you have it, but back than we had to buy magazines for a decent walkthrough. No such luck with an obscure title as Ballz of course.

But hell it wasn't the worst game in my collection. That honor probably goes to Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

PSMad

Post by PSMad »

It's got 5 votes but why's nobody owned up to voting for Dead or Alive? Personally I'm not a hardcore fighting game fan but DoA has managed to keep me interested. Number 2 was just greatness for the Dreamcast and I actually managed to become half way decent at it. Then after a year or two of not playing it DoA 3 kicked my arse and had fun learning it again.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

The best fighting game ever was Cyborg Justice for the Genesis. You could build customized robots with different kinds of jumps and attacks, but it didn't really matter what you chose because all anyone ever wanted to do was use the yank-off-your-torso instant death move.

Oh, memories...

PSMad

Post by PSMad »

What on earth was the last boss about? It was always fun yanking off enemies body parts and using them as your own.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

Esrever wrote:The best fighting game ever was Cyborg Justice for the Genesis. You could build customized robots with different kinds of jumps and attacks, but it didn't really matter what you chose because all anyone ever wanted to do was use the yank-off-your-torso instant death move.

Oh, memories...
I remember that shit! I still have it too, I loved pulling off arms and throwing them in the opponents face.
You could take off an opponents body and replace your body with theirs too if I'm not mistaken.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Ballz was totally awesome. If you hit back four times while playing as the monkey you could make her fart. Because I used to play this when I was a kid it was instantly the funniest thing ever.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Omni Hunter wrote:I remember that shit! I still have it too, I loved pulling off arms and throwing them in the opponents face.
You could take off an opponents body and replace your body with theirs too if I'm not mistaken.
And the best part is, once you destroy the other player, you could rebuild him! It was a pretty simple move: you'd kick their broken corpse and the legs would pop up, then you picked up the torso and slammed it on top of them. They'd come back to life with a sliver of health! And then... you'd rip off their torso AGAIN! You could do it up to three times!

What a great game.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

It's like beat em up DIY.

Nova

Post by Nova »

So, no one here played killer instinct 1?

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

It's not that anyone played, it's just that it isn't the best fighting game out there.

Nova

Post by Nova »

Well, I’m a big fan of double dragon II, And I think is one of the best fighter game ever, it great if you play it with a buddy.

Mortal kombat stopped to be cool when they included weapons and unbreakable combos…

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Fighters and beat-'em-ups are different genres, please.

Nova

Post by Nova »

Double-S- wrote:Fighters and beat-'em-ups are different genres, please.
You are right, characters for fighter games are weaklings, a guy from a good beat-'em-ups can defeat like 10 dudes alone. Leave a Fighters character in a beat-'em-ups and he is toast!. They can just shoot him a lot to make 40 moves combo!.

jenkins

Post by jenkins »

It's obvious, SSMB is the best. The percentage thing was cool, I prefer winning with ring outs in any fighting game, and what better way to ring out than being rocketed off in a burst of blue fire?

By the way, Rock Lee kicks ass. He's insanely fast and ridiculously strong. If you have any interest in Naruto, read the manga, don't watch that shitty anime version.

Citrus

Post by Citrus »

I had a hard time deciding between SSBM and Soul Caliber.
I had to go with SSBM though, something about it is just really fun.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

I have to say it is solidly Soul Caibur 3.
Solid like my dick.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

One word, MUGEN.

you can get everyone, every stage, plus create your own menu and customize it all!

TailsMcCloud

Post by TailsMcCloud »

Hard one between Soul Caliber and SSB. I went for SSB.

Zarathustra
Douche Banned
Location: The nuclear waste land... Argentina for those not in da Groove

Post by Zarathustra »

See? There's no way you can go against almighty and uncomparable SSB.

Oh, and for technical reasons (read: fucking FUN) I voted Guilty Gear.