Shadow the Hedgehog New Details and Interview

Recent happenings of pertinence to Sonic fans.
Kishi

Post by Kishi »

What makes you think this is the last game in which Shadow will have a starring role? And, considering the game has been said to have multiple story paths and endings, what makes you think it's going to bring any clarification or resolution to the plot?

Professor Machenstein

Post by Professor Machenstein »

Has it occured to you that I'm nothing more than wishful thinking? XP

Actually, nobody has the answers to those questions you asked. I'm not sure this will be the final game where Shadow has a starring role, but I can answer your second question. Sonic games have multiple endings, right? But there is only one true ending. Take Sonic the Hedgehog 3: Sonic & Knuckles for example; there's a bad ending, a good ending, and a true ending.

Bad Ending: If you fail to get all the Chaos Emeralds, let alone Super Emeralds, then the island sinks.

Good Ending: If you manage to get all the Chaos Emeralds, but didn't get all Super ones, then the island does float again, but Eggman/Egg-Robo escape.

True Ending: Manage to get both the Chaos Emeralds and Super Emeralds, then the island is completely saved. Eggman/Egg-Robo is no longer a threat.

I'm guessing this is the case with the Shadow game. The game is suppose to have ten different endings, but only one can be the true ending.

Omni Hunter
Omnizzy

Post by Omni Hunter »

They were just incentives to spend time collecting the emeralds. The Shadow game is different as the endings are effected by how you play through the levels thus making the plot redundant.
And what's this about a true ending? Either of Sonic 1's endings lead to Sonic to and the same goes for 2 to 3 (Sonic could have acquired all the emeralds to be super between 2 and 3).
From Adventure onwards there was only one final ending that tied in with a storyline (i.e. Supersonic, Final and Metal Madness stories in SA, SA2 and SH respectively).

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

I wish Machenstein was nothing more than wishful thinking. As it turns out, he's horrifyingly real.

Professor Machenstein

Kenya believe it!

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I believe that it's was said in some interview that Shadow's origin will be dependant on your path, and 10 endings seems a few too many for there to be one true one. Like we said before, this is Sonic Team's pussy way of dealing with Shadow fans that are so polarized in their own origin theories. They'll just leave it up to players to decide which ending is real and never refer to it again.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

The multiple endings intrigued me at first, but if the only "control" you have is based on which enemies you kill the most of in-game I'm not expecting a whole lot of significant depth or variation to them.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

Esrever wrote:The multiple endings intrigued me at first, but if the only "control" you have is based on which enemies you kill the most of in-game I'm not expecting a whole lot of significant depth or variation to them.
If you're working with G.U.N., there are no rings in this level!
If you are working with Eggman, you start out with 3 extra lives!
If you're working with Sonic, you begin this level on fire!

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Your rings are low, and do not regenerate. Defeat all the aliens under this condition!

Psxphile

Post by Psxphile »

In Soul Blade (Soul Edge PS1), every character's ending can be manipulated from bad to good (or bizarre) as they were played. In one, Siegfried destroys the Soul Edge before they have a chance to possess him. Of course, <b>we</b> know what course Namco took with him when Soul Calibur was released.

Nothing is set in stone. Multiple endings does not equal fucked continuity.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

j-man wrote:Your rings are low, and do not regenerate. Defeat all the aliens under this condition!
If all of the aliens are gold, super powerful, and have infinite special attacks, then you tread into Guilty Gear territory.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

I REALLY hate to say this, but there's a chance that the story won't be clear- yet.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

I bet you speak Spanish wherever it is you live.

Professor Machenstein

Whether Shadow the Hedgehog leads to a continuity or not, I have a suggestion. After this game, Shadow should be completely stripped from the Sonic universe, like Wario was in the Mario games. Wario came from being Mario's rival in Super Mario Land 2: 6 Goldern Coins to spawning his own series such as Wario Land and Wario Ware. The only Mario games Wario's appeared in as of late are Camelot-made Mario sports games and Super Mario 64 DS. What Shadow needs is a Bizarro-world, which isn't Sonic-related, and has its own cast of characters. Whether we like Shadow or not, this is Sonic Team's only solution for getting rid of Shadow without losing a high portion of our fanbase, sorry to say. But we really have to find a way to make Sonic the star again.

Kishi

Post by Kishi »

It'd be great if they did that, but they probably won't.

"Why make Sonic and Shadow games when we can put both of them in every game and DOUBLE THE PROFITS!"

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED

Post by Baba O'Reily »

But it would make more sense to split them up, as if you get 3 people to buy 6 games all together, instead of 5 people buying 1 game apiece.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

chriscaffee wrote:I bet you speak Spanish wherever it is you live.
No, not yet.

Final_Cosmos_the_Ultra
Douche Bag
Douche Bag

Post by Final_Cosmos_the_Ultra »

Professor Machenstein wrote:Whether Shadow the Hedgehog leads to a continuity or not, I have a suggestion. After this game, Shadow should be completely stripped from the Sonic universe, like Wario was in the Mario games. Wario came from being Mario's rival in Super Mario Land 2: 6 Goldern Coins to spawning his own series such as Wario Land and Wario Ware. The only Mario games Wario's appeared in as of late are Camelot-made Mario sports games and Super Mario 64 DS. What Shadow needs is a Bizarro-world, which isn't Sonic-related, and has its own cast of characters. Whether we like Shadow or not, this is Sonic Team's only solution for getting rid of Shadow without losing a high portion of our fanbase, sorry to say. But we really have to find a way to make Sonic the star again.
Thank you sir.

SegaSonic

Post by SegaSonic »

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I'll summarize. The first movie is a 2 player race. The players start next to each other. One jumps and instantly kills the other, ending the race. Round 2. The same player does a homing attack and wins again. Game over. Deciding that that sucked, they start again and try to actually race. There's no rings in the entire level. In fact, there's nothing in the entire level but an endless highway and some street lights. They never make it to the end.

The second movie appears to be the opening scene of the game. Shadow's standing idly around remembering how Maria died, then the mothership flies overhead and the sky turns red to artlessly symbolize that the world is in danger and things begin exploding. Black Doom, who reminds me of the alien from Independence Day, beams down a hologram and says something to Shadow. Shadow looks mildly pissed at him, then goes into a deep monologue and runs toward the exploding city. The characters look like the claymation/stuffed animal graphics we've seen in the advertisements. Somewhat like Sonic Heroes but taken even farther.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Wow, sounds great! I'd better start downloading.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Maria looked way better here than in Sonic Adventure 2.

Professor Machenstein

Frieza2000 wrote:I'll summarize. The first movie is a 2 player race. The players start next to each other. One jumps and instantly kills the other, ending the race. Round 2. The same player does a homing attack and wins again. Game over. Deciding that that sucked, they start again and try to actually race. There's no rings in the entire level. In fact, there's nothing in the entire level but an endless highway and some street lights. They never make it to the end.
I reckon that was the alpha of the 2P-Mode. Even when the 2nd-player selected the blue coloring for Shadow, he still got red Shadow. I'm sure SONICTEAM will fix the 2P-Mode in the full verison. Shadow did seem to be going really fast though, in an F-Zero sense at that.

LOUD-TREE

Post by LOUD-TREE »

... I was kind of keeping my hopes up for Fang the Sniper or other characters to be in the 2P mode at the very least... But no, we get different colored shadows.

Professor Machenstein

I just went to IGN and they have new screenshots and a new video of the game here. They've not only shown Westopolis, but also the Black Arms' base, and that you can side with Knuckles or Rouge too. Damn, in contrast with the promo-video at the Walk of Game and this video, this game has changed a lot visually, and for the good of it. Now, if you'll excuse... *Watches video a hundred more times*